Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone please post the dimensions for the cowling flaps and the number of each size if there are different sizes. Also if you’ve done this mod, a picture of it would be great. Thanks in advance guys

Comment

• Getting back into the group after being gone for work and then getting really sick! Lots of great things going on here, as always. So I could use your advice...With my Stinger 90, A-10 and FL Spitfire I have never done anything with a servo tester before and now I'm thinking that would be a good investment. How does that work given the wing connectors...how do you isolate the leads without trashing the plug? What exactly is "centering" a servo? I have always worked with the stock setting of the servos and adjusted in my JR radio for the high rate thro using Travel Adjust, and then dialed down the low rate as a percentage of that. I've never run out of travel or felt I needed more, so I'm not sure what centering of a servo really accomplishes? Any recommendations on a brand/type of tester, and preferred features in a tester? I am really ignorant of electrical issues...inexcusable given I'm a 100% electric flyer! Thanks in advance guys! Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

Yep! True, True - Testers is probably the reason I sound like I'm from Arkansas? Sorry Arkansans.
        OK - OK, due to several PMs, my apologies if I offended anyone from Arkansas with my comment. Like I said in an earlier post it's always good to maintain a good sense of humor in this forum BUT to level the playing field I'll let you all know I'm originally from Kansas and I'm told Kansans get married just to have a complete set of teeth! Good flying this weekend everyone!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
          Getting back into the group after being gone for work and then getting really sick! Lots of great things going on here, as always. So I could use your advice...With my Stinger 90, A-10 and FL Spitfire I have never done anything with a servo tester before and now I'm thinking that would be a good investment. How does that work given the wing connectors...how do you isolate the leads without trashing the plug? What exactly is "centering" a servo? I have always worked with the stock setting of the servos and adjusted in my JR radio for the high rate thro using Travel Adjust, and then dialed down the low rate as a percentage of that. I've never run out of travel or felt I needed more, so I'm not sure what centering of a servo really accomplishes? Any recommendations on a brand/type of tester, and preferred features in a tester? I am really ignorant of electrical issues...inexcusable given I'm a 100% electric flyer! Thanks in advance guys! Rob
          Hey Rob, good to have you back. Sorry you were sick. As far as servo testers, I don't own one either and don't see buying one anytime soon. It either works or it doesn't and if it doesn't you shit can it. As to centering, I'm sure there are lots of guys that can explain that better but when I'm actually building a plane, as opposed to just assembling a foamy, I take each servo, before installation, and swing the servo arm to the two extremes and then reset the servo arm so that it mechanically has the same amount of throw each way. That way you aren't limited in throw one way or the other. When it comes to a foamy, I just assume that's been done unless I have limited travel in one direction. There, I've already told you more than I know

Comment

How does that work given the wing connectors...how do you isolate the leads without trashing the plug? What exactly is "centering" a servo? I have always worked with the stock setting of the servos and adjusted in my JR radio for the high rate thro using Travel Adjust, and then dialed down the low rate as a percentage of that. I've never run out of travel or felt I needed more, so I'm not sure what centering of a servo really accomplishes? Any recommendations on a brand/type of tester, and preferred features in a tester? I am really ignorant of electrical issues...inexcusable given I'm a 100% electric flyer! Thanks in advance guys! Rob
            A servo tester can be had for 5 bucks, sometimes less. It's not much of an investment and can save you lots of time and money and frustration. A simple servo tester does 3 things .................... 1. You can manually move the servo to any position you like just to see that it works; 2. It has a "center" position where it sets the servo at exactly the mid-point of its travel; 3. It has an automatic function where the servo is cycled from one end to the other.
            By testing a servo (or retract) BEFORE you put the plane together, you can save yourself the misery of taking it all apart again to see where the fault may be. Is it the actual servo? Or the connector board? Or the extension portion of the wiring? To say that "it either works or it doesn't" is only part of the story. Without a tester, you don't know where the fault is without some fancy footwork with the RX.
            "Centering" a servo....... This is useful for control surfaces that are generally starting off at the mid-point. This does not apply necessarily to flap servos and retracts but the tester can still be used to see if the retract works and to put the flap at a relative "starting" point. The final "centering" comes once you've got it all hooked up to the RX. Of course, if you're the "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" kinda guy, this is all pretty much irrelevant.
            Here's a cheap one from MotionRC ............... https://www.motionrc.com/products/gt...and-esc-tester
            This is the one I use and it does the job quite nicely and RC Castle gave me a couple as gifts when I bought something else ............... https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=3237
            You do need to power it either with an appropriate battery directly or in my case, I use a 5v BEC and a 3s LiPo.
            Insofar as to how you isolate the plugs on a plane like this Corsair, you pull the plug (based on the diagram provided) with tweezers (if your fingers are too big) and test it there. On mine, the retract and the retract doors were swapped on one side and the tester allowed me to correct this easily before I put the thing together. NEVER use a servo tester to test lights. They'll burn out.

Comment

• After exhaustive research, and a few PBRs, I believe I have uncovered the definitive canopy configuration for the F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair. The three attached pictures show that there is a plexiglass "window"/cover over the "cove" area behind the cockpit. The airframe shown is one of two existing F4U-1s that are being restored. This one is at the Navel Aircraft Museum located in Pensacola, Florida. The cove is painted the same color as the fuselage. I remember reading somewhere that this area was a pain in the azz for ground crew members to keep clean as there was no room to access this area. The cover needed to be removed and since it did not provide much rearward vision, it was mostly left alone. The box contains a "new old stock" canopy (also at Navel Aircraft Museum located in Pensacola). Also check out the use of the Salmon primer that Vought used all through the -1 production run. Here's a web sit regarding the restoration: http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-rest...on-update.html

So, I'm determined to attempt to replicate this on my bird and attempt to add the opening canopy ala Brandon's post (Thanks Brandon for the info on how you accomplished this and setting a goal to try to emulate).

Today I just received my pilot for the F4U. I'm impressed with him for a couple of reasons; first the detail is quite good and the price id very reasonable. Second, and to me as a Vietnam Vet, most important, is that Benchmark RC (bmarkrc@gmail.com) utilizes/employs disabled Veterans. If you're looking for a Hog Driver, check benchmark out. Mike was a pleasure to work with.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-rest...on-update.html

Comment

• Good stuff!!! So are the PBR's

Comment

• EVERYTHING these guys said is great stuff!

another option, my son now has mine, he uses it regularly. I have a lot of orange rx's I have been liberating from planes B4 they end the planes. so when the time comes I take a orange rx and bind it to the radio with the name I intend to use for the tx. then I can use it to set the zero (center for the servo) and it will be the center for the radio (my tx) not some box that really has no relationship with my tx.so I would use it to zero all the servos b4 installing, or buttoning up, once they are installed I bind the flight rx and hook up the control linkages.

Joe

Comment

• A few posts back, maybe days ago, someone asked about nomenclature placement. Here are four (4) drawings that may help....

Comment

• That's helpful Hardway thanks bud!
                      Aros.MotionRC
                      Motion RC Website/Advertising
                      Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

My RC videos on YouTube:
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

Getting back into the group after being gone for work and then getting really sick! Lots of great things going on here, as always. So I could use your advice...With my Stinger 90, A-10 and FL Spitfire I have never done anything with a servo tester before and now I'm thinking that would be a good investment. How does that work given the wing connectors...how do you isolate the leads without trashing the plug? What exactly is "centering" a servo? I have always worked with the stock setting of the servos and adjusted in my JR radio for the high rate thro using Travel Adjust, and then dialed down the low rate as a percentage of that. I've never run out of travel or felt I needed more, so I'm not sure what centering of a servo really accomplishes? Any recommendations on a brand/type of tester, and preferred features in a tester? I am really ignorant of electrical issues...inexcusable given I'm a 100% electric flyer! Thanks in advance guys! Rob
                        Hi Rob
                        Glad you are feeling better I have two servo testers and IMO they can save some time and heartaches. I would happy to let you use one of my devices to try out.
                        Then you can decide which one you want to have for yourself.

Call me
                        Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

Hi Rob
                          Glad you are feeling better I have two servo testers and IMO they can save some time and heartaches. I would happy to let you use one of my devices to try out.
                          Then you can decide which one you want to have for yourself.

Call me
                          Rich
                          No kidding. Those testers really saved me a ton of time centering and positioning the servos during my ARF builds. It helps me get 99% there then I can make some minor adjustments in the trim settings. It's probably the best $10 I've ever spent.

Comment

• Now to get the nerve to cut the sliding part from the windscreen ​​​​​​...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                              Good stuff!!! So are the PBR's
                              OH NO Scrape your tongue brother. You need to come to the north east and enjoy a Yuengling.
                              Best tasting beer from the oldest brewery in the US right there in good ol' Pottsville PA.........Hey is it 420
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                              Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

• does anyone have a good match for the dark blue f4U1-D? already need to fix scuffs

Comment

• Brandon, which art school did you attend? You have some talent that I can only wish for. Way to go fellow.

Comment

• Originally posted by p51mustangman View Post
                                    does anyone have a good match for the dark blue f4U1-D? already need to fix scuffs
                                    Here you go - It's a perfect match!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F4U Dark Blue.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	184669

Comment

• Calipers? - Off subject but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set that works well for this hobby? I know "reasonable" is relative but I've seen them from $18 - $800 on Amazon. Thanks - Grover54.

Comment

Calipers? - Off subject but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set that works well for this hobby? I know "reasonable" is relative but I've seen them from $18 - $800 on Amazon. Thanks - Grover54.
                                        $10 digital calipers work just a good as $100 ones.
                                        Never understood why someone buys the higher priced unit.
                                        Here's a WEN with a hard case at HomeDepot
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                                        Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

Calipers? - Off subject but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set that works well for this hobby? I know "reasonable" is relative but I've seen them from $18 - $800 on Amazon. Thanks - Grover54.
                                          What Warbird Charlie said. For this hobby general use don't waste your money on a high dollar caliper. I do a lot of reloading and a decent digital caliper around $50 is more than adequate for that and way more important than what you'd need for this hobby. If you NEED greater measuring accuracy get a precision micrometer if you're needing in the 1000th's or 10x1000th's.

Comment

Working...
                                          X