Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Want to Say "Hello" - And some questions

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to the RC community, I did build and flew the line-controlled planes back in the mid 70s - that tells you my age bracket. Anyway, I received a Champ last Christmas from a friend, fun but not on windy days. For Father's Day & Birthday present, my wife both me the Flyzone Mini Switch RTF - a fun plane! But, in my humble opinion, the High Wing configuration is not for beginners and, more of a field flyer than a park flyer.

Besides the Champ, my only experience in RC flying is with the RealFlight G4.5, which a friend let me use. I was in the process of buying the G6 version, but looking at the price package I decided, with the wife's wisdom, to get the Phoenix V4 with the DX6i and the Tactic AnyLink, since the Mini Switch receiver is a Tactic TR624. Both the Realflight and Phoenix V4 really saved me money and heartaches, I have not crashed my planes....yet...lol! Have broken the motor shaft during landing when the wind shifted - it is fixed and have been flying the Mini Switch when the wind is steady.

My FMS 800mm P-47 V2 will be delivered in a couple of days. I was able to download FMS ESC information. The P-47 is equipped with the 20A ESC, with a Burst current of 30A. According to FMS specs, it can use 2S-4S LiPo. The only data I have about the brushless motor in it's a kv1700.

So my question(s) is/are:
    1. Would a 3S 11.1v 15C 1300mAh would be too much for the motor? I'm not concerned with the ESC since LiPo is within the specs.
    2. If I do use the 3S LiPo, what do I need to watch out for or consider?

Lastly, I have seen and read of planes manufactured by FMS/Airfield or Airfield/FMS. FMS site exist, but can't find Airfield site. But Airfield have planes similar to FMS, but I don't think they are the same. Can someone clear that for me?

Thank you all.

Re: Just Want to Say "Hello" - And some questions

<quote author="TonyFly2013">

So my question(s) is/are:
    1. Would a 3S 11.1v 15C 1300mAh would be too much for the motor? I'm not concerned with the ESC since LiPo is within the specs.
    2. If I do use the 3S LiPo, what do I need to watch out for or consider?

</quote>

i use a 1300mah 3s 30c batt in both my FMS 800mm T-28's. they fly sooo much better with the extra weight and power !!! the motor will handle the 3s with no problem. i did change the stock 20a esc out for a 30a esc....the 20a did get a little too warm ! i can cruise around at a little over half throttle on the 3s that would be comparable to the 2s..but you can hit the throttle and it will <i>BOOGIE !!!</i> <smiley image="smiley_happy.gif"/>

Comment

Re: Just Want to Say "Hello" - And some questions

I don't think you will find an actual Airfield website as <i>"Airfield RC"</i> are NitroPlanes branded aircraft. Similarly, HobbyKing has their <i>"Durafly"</i> lineup, and MotionRC has their <i>"RockHobby"</i> badge. I own quite a few Airfield RC models, mostly in the 1450mm range, and a few 800mm models. (I hadn't learned about MotionRC at that time). They seem well made, fly well, and I haven't had any issues with the components. The assembly manuals, however, leave a lot to be desired. I am not 100% sure who actually manufactures the Airfield line for NP, but many of the models are 100% airframe identical with their FMS counterparts. The Airfield planes have different power systems than the FMS models. I imagine when ordering these models in quantity the respective dealer can specify which power system and other components they wish to be included.

If you were to compare a current Airfield 1450mm lineup to a FMS models, the Airfield models are more like last generation FMS birds. i.e. the Mustangs are like v6 models and lack the improvements of the FMS v7.5 birds. This is not necessarily a bad thing. i.e., Some of the new FMS 1400mm models seem to have done away with the gear door sequencer and are instead using a mechanical solution where the gear pulls the inner door closed. I know the new Zero is like this. Yes there are two less servos, but I kind of like the sequencer and its delayed deployment.

Personally, unless I want a specific aircraft, feature, or paint scheme that Motion doesn't offer, or if Motion is out-of-stock and I just can't wait, I am sticking with MotionRC whenever possible. Comparing aircraft from other venders & Motion, they are generally the same price. But when you tack on $40+ shipping NP adds to ship from CA to MD, plus twice as many days to receive my order, plus the lack of replacement parts at many other dealers, MotionRC just can't be beat. Even when you find what appears to be a better price, it often turns out to be illusory. i.e., I wanted the FMS Fox Glider ARF and a spare spinner/prop and found the plane for about $130. Cool deal, right? Only it was $54 shipping, and the vendor had no spare parts!

Comment

Working...
      X