F7F-3 Tigercat

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Dynam 1270mm Waco Yellow Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I know I’m late to the party but I’m a new member of the Dynam Waco club. I have it built just waiting for good weather to get the maiden done.

    Comment


    • Welcome. Be ready with the nose weight. Flies nice once the CG is correct.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CaptAmerica View Post
        Welcome. Be ready with the nose weight. Flies nice once the CG is correct.
        I found my cg to be spot on at 70 mm with an Admiral 3000 4s does that measurement work for you?

        Comment


        • Im only running Admiral 2500s, so I had to add a bunch of lead in the nose. Seems as if most are running the 3000s and it fixes CG issues.

          Comment


          • Thanks way back in this thread they were adding 2to3 oz of lead to get cg on 3000’s but I’m level at 70 and slightly nose down at 75. So I wasn’t sure about it.

            Comment


            • One way to find out. I had to run 5ozs or more with the 2500. And had to switch props, went from 12x6 to 12x8 to get more bite to pull the extra weight. But it seems to be happy there. Hopefully you get a good day soon. We have snow and freezing temps in Ohio. Might be awhile, though i did break out the skis for the Eflite Cub.

              Comment


              • Skis sound like fun!
                Still Learning:D

                Comment


                • We got 4 inches today, now it just needs to clear up so I can take it out. Have a second set for the Turbo Beaver.

                  Comment


                  • Just finished building my Dynam Waco-I never meant to get so carried away it just kinda happened. The photos don’t do it justice I can tell you that much-now my friends say “it’s too good to fly” and should be on display lol. I’ll fly it at least once or twice. It’s my first (and only) Biplane and I’ve heard lots of good stuff about it hence I bought it. Only mod I didn’t do was swap out the LED’s for a working kit-I was over the project by that stage, plus I have a raft of planes waiting to be built-plus my buzz is flying then, not detailing, so this is the only one I’ll go to this extent on. Has anyone tried an MAS Beech prop on this bird and if so did it reduce performance?

                    Comment


                    • Took a few more photos and a bit of video doing my regular “pre maiden taxi round the yard” today. Soon as the wind settles after the weekend I’ll get it flying-in the meantime, what size lipo y’all using in this bird?? 3000 or 4000??

                      Comment


                      • If you haven't changed out the stock prop for an aftermarket, I highly recommend it. The prop that came with mine was not well balanced at all.

                        Comment


                        • Stock prop is actually quite satisfactory...........like any prop you should ensure they are balanced.
                          Still using the original that came with mine almost 5 years ago with well over 300 sorties.
                          To answer Builda's question on battery size, I've been using a 4000 with no issues.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                          Incinerator Loss 16

                          Comment


                          • Yeah my stock prop was well out of balance. Nothing alittle sandpaper couldnt fix.

                            Comment


                            • I have a MAS beech prop to go on it before I take it for a maiden flight next week. I always balance the props on everything (I even check my pre-balanced MAS ones). No guarantees but you might see it on my friends YouTube channel if I take it down to Tokoroa in 3 weeks time when we can fly there again-the airfield is booked for the next two weekends and I know Bruce is keen to see my “snoopy” plane lol

                              Comment


                              • I finally got the maiden on my Waco today oddly enough it flew a little nose heavy. I was using an Admiral 3000 4s with 2 oz of lead behind the cowl with this it set the slightest bit nose down at 70mm on cg. When I got trimmed for level flight at 50 to 75% throttle I had about 2mm up trim on the elevator. The Waco flew good but did not behave very well with a 10 mph crosswind at 90 degrees on landing that big vertical stab catches a lot of wind. I’m really pleased with it overall I think I will really like it after I remove the nose weight and fly again.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by farmflyer View Post
                                  I finally got the maiden on my Waco today oddly enough it flew a little nose heavy. I was using an Admiral 3000 4s with 2 oz of lead behind the cowl with this it set the slightest bit nose down at 70mm on cg. When I got trimmed for level flight at 50 to 75% throttle I had about 2mm up trim on the elevator. The Waco flew good but did not behave very well with a 10 mph crosswind at 90 degrees on landing that big vertical stab catches a lot of wind. I’m really pleased with it overall I think I will really like it after I remove the nose weight and fly again.
                                  Yepper FF.........flying that with a 3000 and 2oz lead in the nose is equiv to flying it with no lead and a 4000 4S.
                                  I fly mine with 4000 all the time with it as far aft as possible(no foam hacking) and it requires the approx. 2mm up trim.
                                  Remove that lead and you should be good to go
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                                  Incinerator Loss 16

                                  Comment


                                  • I managed to get my cosmetically modified one maidened last week too. I added 20g of weight behind the cowl and ran a 3000mah all the way forward and I must admit I wasn't expecting the take off charachteristics this plane has. Once I got it trimmed up it was a joy to fly-tons of lift, but I did notice it does not like slow flight and will drop a wing on you very easily especially in the turns, but once I got used to it the plane was a blast to fly. Was good to see I still had Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and Woodstock still onboard after the maiden flight. I had thought about selling this plane despite the money it owes me (the custom decals cost more than the plane), but I actually enjoy flying it. It will remain in my hangar as my only Biplane I think.
                                    Attached Files

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Builda View Post
                                      I managed to get my cosmetically modified one maidened last week too. I added 20g of weight behind the cowl and ran a 3000mah all the way forward and I must admit I wasn't expecting the take off charachteristics this plane has. Once I got it trimmed up it was a joy to fly-tons of lift, but I did notice it does not like slow flight and will drop a wing on you very easily especially in the turns, but once I got used to it the plane was a blast to fly. Was good to see I still had Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and Woodstock still onboard after the maiden flight. I had thought about selling this plane despite the money it owes me (the custom decals cost more than the plane), but I actually enjoy flying it. It will remain in my hangar as my only Biplane I think.
                                      I fly mine exactly the same way 20 ounces in the nose and a 3000 4s battery and it flies great and your right it doesn't fly slow but it is quite acrobatic at speed and fun to fly. It's my favorite bywing.

                                      Comment


                                      • I have to wonder about Dynam's quality control. I ordered a replacement landing gear set, and the strut covers on the replacement were on backwards.

                                        Fortunately, they were easy enough to remove and switch around.

                                        I swapped the outer wheel pants as well, since I have my custom decals on them, and while I was at it, I moved the old wheels to the new gear, since the new wheels seemed a bit wider at the hub, and were not spinning freely inside the pants.

                                        Comment


                                        • I bought my Waco from a friend. Another friend has had one for quite awhile and I've always admired how it flies. His has the signature dihedral in the upper wing outer panels so noticeable on full scale Wacos whereas mine doesn't. He claims he did nothing special during assembly to achieve this. I've also noticed that almost all the Wacos in this thread have flat upper wings like mine. From the front mine looks more like a Stearman than a Waco. Mine flies great but the lack of dihedral bothers me to the point that I've ordered a replacement upper wing set. The new upper wing WILL be built with the correct dihedral. Before and after photos to follow.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X