New Freewing 70mm F-16 V2

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FMS 1400mm P-51D V8 Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The S means series. A 6S battery is 6 cells in series. P means parallel though it's rarely uses anymore in RC. C means capacity, as noted, and is normally used for a discharge rating. a 30C battery can be discharged at 30 times is capacity. A 4000mAh 30 C can be discharged at 30 times 4000mA or 30 times 4 Amps or 120 Amps. It is also used as a charge rating as noted and the same math applies.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by OV10 View Post

      Hello Curly,
      The power mods to this bird have been well documented over the years as well as the recent past because of the latest motors to hit the market.
      So to put things in a nut shell for you versus perusing hundreds of pages on both the forums looking for those pearls, here ya go.


      Hope this helps,

      SO, I got the stuff recommended, KV650 motor, 85A ESC. I put it all together, put the prop on and bench ran it on a 3200ma 30C 4S battery. In only 3 minutes at medium to high power it drew the battery down to 22%. The back of the motor was pretty darned hot but I've never felt one before after running so maybe this is no thang.

      Now, I know bench running it with the prop on puts a bigger load on everything than actual flying loads as the prop is always pulling stationary air. I know I'll get a little longer performance airborne...

      but, if I get a 5000ma 4S battery will it do better? I would think so.

      Other than max and min power which is programmed easily, is there anything else I'm supposed to program on the ESC?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by curlyculp View Post


        SO, I got the stuff recommended, KV650 motor, 85A ESC. I put it all together, put the prop on and bench ran it on a 3200ma 30C 4S battery. In only 3 minutes at medium to high power it drew the battery down to 22%. The back of the motor was pretty darned hot but I've never felt one before after running so maybe this is no thang.

        Now, I know bench running it with the prop on puts a bigger load on everything than actual flying loads as the prop is always pulling stationary air. I know I'll get a little longer performance airborne...

        but, if I get a 5000ma 4S battery will it do better? I would think so.

        Other than max and min power which is programmed easily, is there anything else I'm supposed to program on the ESC?
        A 3200mah, 4s is not much of a battery for this plane, especially when hopped up like that. I flew mine on 4000mah, 4s and then 4000mah, 6s when upgraded again. These give a decent 5 to 7 minutes. You'll also find that with the more powerful system, you won't fly it "medium to high" power most of the flight. The more power the thing has, the less likely you will fly it "balls to the wall" much of the time.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by xviper View Post
          A 3200mah, 4s is not much of a battery for this plane, especially when hopped up like that. I flew mine on 4000mah, 4s and then 4000mah, 6s when upgraded again. These give a decent 5 to 7 minutes. You'll also find that with the more powerful system, you won't fly it "medium to high" power most of the flight. The more power the thing has, the less likely you will fly it "balls to the wall" much of the time.
          I mounted the KV650. (yes with the P40 motor mount the holes line up.) And static ran it. I use a rope harness and hook an electronic fishing scale to it to measure static thrust. The original motor was registering mid 7 pounds of pull. The 650 is measuring mid 8's. With the same 4S 30C battery as the original. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works with the 4s, 5000ma 60C I ordered.

          Comment


          • I wasn't talking about thrust. I was talking about flight times because the 650 draws more juice to produce that higher performance.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by xviper View Post
              I wasn't talking about thrust. I was talking about flight times because the 650 draws more juice to produce that higher performance.
              It's all related. If it puts out more, you can run around at a lower power setting. As you pointed out before. I was running my T-45 70mm EDF with a 4000ma 6S and only getting 4 minutes or so out of it. I put my 5000ma in it and ran the same profile and came back with over 50% battery.

              Comment


              • I don't know about anybody else, but when I mod up a plane, I don't continue to run around at a lower power setting.

                Comment

                Working...
                X