You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next Alpha?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

    But which would you prefer? An 80 mm F-5 and A-6 with upgraded EDFs and an A-4 in Blue Angels livery, or a 70 mm Hawker Hunter, F-100, and P-80/T-33?
    I Vote F-100. But Valk ole buddy, that's just me. Over at the other place, Querty, has a Hawker Hunter available. Looks pretty good to me. Querty, said he would make any plane we want if we get about 5 committed buyers lined up. I think I may try one of his planes, I like puzzles, LOL. Lot of work, but It may try one just for the hek of it. I would like an A-7 Corsair II. Now I just need to find 4 more people. LOL.

    Woody

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

      But which would you prefer? An 80 mm F-5 and A-6 with upgraded EDFs and an A-4 in Blue Angels livery, or a 70 mm Hawker Hunter, F-100, and P-80/T-33?
      I get what you're saying, I really do. But, I think we all lose sight of how many EDFs FW and MRC have brought to the market in a fairly short time. They have said over and over that they constantly have new projects in the works, but why not improve/update some older models along the way? It keeps them current and refreshes sales on the model. And, most importantly, keeps models from being discontinued! Look how long MRC keeps a model in the lineup compared to HK, or HH, or FMS. I think part of that is because they try to refresh them in one way or another along the way. Look at the "new" High Performance A-6 they did... sold out pretty dang quick! Now, whether that was because it was a small order of them or because it sold really well... I don't know. But, I am glad to see they re-invest in current models as well as bring out new ones so that our options continue to grow. Imagine if they discontinued an older model with every new release instead!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

        Look how long MRC keeps a model in the lineup compared to HK, or HH, or FMS.:
        This is one of the reasons I buy Freewing jets over the oppositions products as I know that spare parts will be available for many years after the release of a particular model. Contrast this to some competitors products where parts disappear from the stock listings after a short few years after the model is released. It's really great that I can still get parts for my 5+ year old Rebel v2 and Stinger 90 and that both of these models are still for sale.

        Comment


        • Yes!

          Comment


          • Spare parts are a big deal for me as well. I get tired of people saying "you don't need spares if you are a good pilot and stop crashing", but that logic only applies if you are replacing parts due to crashes. Things do wear out over time. Things also get damaged, even without a crash. Sometimes I want spare parts to modify them rather than modifying the original and screwing it up. I buy a good deal of spare parts and it rarely has anything to do with replacing damaged parts, more to do with keeping the planes flying for many years and making changes to the planes. I would rather have a box full of spare parts than be stuck with a very expensive static model due needing a $5 part that is no longer available.

            Comment


            • Not to mention, not all crashes are due to pilot error. Such things as wires breaking to the receiver, servo failure, sudden, inexplicable loss of radio contact, and a whole bunch of other things that can go wrong, that have nothing to do with pilot skill.

              One of the things we have to accept in this hobby is that stuff happens, and not always due to our own screw-ups.

              Comment


              • Hoomi, that is exactly right. I grow very tired of the comments saying the only reason to need spare parts is due to being a bad pilot. Sometimes you are a decent pilot that grabs the wrong can of clear coat and watch in horror as your new foam floats melt away into nothing. Yeah, I did that once on my UMX J3 floats. I wanted them shiny and less resistance on the water. I won't make that mistake again, except I did the same thing to my UMX P-51 after weathering. Lesson learned, be careful of what clear coat you use and be thankful spare parts are available to fix your mistake.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                  Spare parts are a big deal for me as well. I get tired of people saying "you don't need spares if you are a good pilot and stop crashing", but that logic only applies if you are replacing parts due to crashes. Things do wear out over time. Things also get damaged, even without a crash. Sometimes I want spare parts to modify them rather than modifying the original and screwing it up. I buy a good deal of spare parts and it rarely has anything to do with replacing damaged parts, more to do with keeping the planes flying for many years and making changes to the planes. I would rather have a box full of spare parts than be stuck with a very expensive static model due needing a $5 part that is no longer available.
                  Or your 6 year old runs a RC truck into your plane on the ground!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

                    Or your 6 year old runs a RC truck into your plane on the ground!
                    Exactly, stuff happens.

                    I use a matrix as a decision guide and a way to rank planes that I am interested in. Availability of spare parts and customer service have a high value in the rankings. I don't consider my RC planes to be throw away products, but rather something I can continually enjoy for many years. Having parts is key.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                      Not to mention, not all crashes are due to pilot error. Such things as wires breaking to the receiver, servo failure, sudden, inexplicable loss of radio contact, and a whole bunch of other things that can go wrong, that have nothing to do with pilot skill.

                      One of the things we have to accept in this hobby is that stuff happens, and not always due to our own screw-ups.
                      And sometimes it's due to bad design. Case in point: the nose wheel on the UMX MiG-15. To add some "realism" to the aircraft, it has something resembling an elbow. The thing is, the real thing has shock absorbers and isn't made of thin wire. So subsequently, you either come up with a mod or workaround, because even the best pilots have to replace it after a dozen or so flights, and "big surprise", they don't sell the nose wheel separately, you have to buy a complete set.

                      Comment


                      • "Big surprise", they've done it again, passing off an upgrade as a "new plane". This time it's the 70 mm BAE Hawk, and because it comes in grey or red, they're claiming 2 new planes.

                        Comment


                        • ????? VP, did I miss something? The 70mm Hawk has been offered that way (red and grey) since it came out.... Is there a "new set" of birds now??? Thanks bro!!! Jerry

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                            "Big surprise", they've done it again, passing off an upgrade as a "new plane". This time it's the 70 mm BAE Hawk, and because it comes in grey or red, they're claiming 2 new planes.
                            They don't claim these as a big new release. They haven't even mentioned them or the high performance F86 anywhere yet that I've seen. They just show up on the website and are already available in warehouses. Just more options for the buyer and I support it 110%!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                              ????? VP, did I miss something? The 70mm Hawk has been offered that way (red and grey) since it came out.... Is there a "new set" of birds now??? Thanks bro!!! Jerry
                              They released a high performance version of both Hawks with the upgraded gear and upgraded inrunner. Same thing they did with the F16.

                              Comment


                              • OH! Thanks JC! That is cool on the inrunner. I was going to do that with the F-35 unit anyway! Anyone want to buy on old red one NIB??? LOL LOL VP, I will make you a great deal!!! Thanks for the clarification!! I should have looked at MRC first, but I have been quite busy lately.... Jerry

                                Comment


                                • HP F-86 too???? Anyone want the old one NIB??? YEAH! I am way behind on my builds!!!

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                    OH! Thanks JC! That is cool on the inrunner. I was going to do that with the F-35 unit anyway! Anyone want to buy on old red one NIB??? LOL LOL VP, I will make you a great deal!!! Thanks for the clarification!! I should have looked at MRC first, but I have been quite busy lately.... Jerry
                                    I just put the new 2210kv setup in my Hawk, funny timing. Haven't got to fly it yet though.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                      HP F-86 too???? Anyone want the old one NIB??? YEAH! I am way behind on my builds!!!
                                      I'd love to have that the old F-86 if you weren't 1500 mi away.

                                      Comment


                                      • In a way though, I would not be disappointed if they had gone the other way with the Hawk by offering a 4s set up or even a 64 mm Red Arrows running on 4s. I don't need speed, but I like the plane. And there are other sites that offer 4s setups for the 70 mm YAK-130 and F-104, rather than having to buy the ARF+ versions and hopping you pick the right components that will go together easily.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                                          Not to mention, not all crashes are due to pilot error. Such things as wires breaking to the receiver, servo failure, sudden, inexplicable loss of radio contact, and a whole bunch of other things that can go wrong, that have nothing to do with pilot skill.

                                          One of the things we have to accept in this hobby is that stuff happens, and not always due to our own screw-ups.
                                          Spare parts are my life blood, especially when you have the combination of a bad pilot along with any unforeseen mechanical breakdowns . I won't buy a plane from anyone else except Motion because they keep their products "alive" much longer than anyone else and continue to stock spare parts. With HH, sometimes I had to buy a spare plane just for parts (like the Beast 60 Bi-Plane) as they were only available for a short time before being "discontinued". I keep a spare parts closet with bins for each plane along with 8 large plastic bins for props, extra wings, canopies, etc. If there is a part that Motion is out of and I have that plane, let me know cause the odds are I have plenty of extras!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FlightLine-90mm F16 "Wild Weasel", F4 Phantom, F-4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair, Red Bull Edge. E-Flite-2-Beast 60's, P2 Bi-Plane, Yak 54, 2-P-51's, Apprentice, 2-Super Cubs w/Floats.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X