X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT-17 Eflite Stearman

guys, this plane has been landed enough that the tail wheel which is mounted on the bottom of the fuselage with a separate pushrod that acts with the rudder servo, will not let me turn it on the ground. Must use power bursts and rudder to get it around, but most times I have to go get it.

The tail wheel itself has a shaft that goes up into the fuselage. I would like to access to see why it's loose and re-tighten if possible or loctite in alignment with rudder.
    Any suggestions on how to properly alight with rudder would also be helpful.

Any experience on getting to this part or suggestions would be appreciated. I really hate to cut a large section from the fuselage to view, but this may be the only way, repair, then glue the part removed back in fuselage.

Thanks.

Jimmy
    Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Are you using SAFE mode? If so, turn it off and it should taxi better.

Comment

No, I don't have safe mode. Tail wheel mounted to fuselage, not rudder.
      Jimmy

Comment

Tail wheel strut mounted up into fuselage.

Any ideas yet?
        Jimmy

Comment

Sounds like better then good landings and rough runways have taken a toll on the tail wheel, Other than taking a razor Blade and exacto knife and opening it up to repair there isn't much else to try. I love this little Twin One of the easiest tail dragger's I have flown. Love mounting a Go Pro on top and shooting videos. Just started playing with a Go pro a few weeks ago, What a blast. Here is about the third video I did with the Go Pro mounted on the top wing of the PT-17 with Velcro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ9kYjQdgvw

Comment

Video just awesome man. Wow you don't have any problem steering on ground. Guess I'll open her up to see what I find and tighten her up. Thanks for response. I was alway apprehensive during a loop the top wing might come off, but you shown its got strength.
            Jimmy

Comment

I apologize for taking up your time on the tail wheel issue. I'm like a politician, even tho I'm not, jump to conclusions based on hear say from those not involved.

Anyway, at the rear of the fuselage, on the right side, there is a cast cut away that will give you acess to the screw holding the arm for the wheel. You will have to turn the arm to the fullest in order to see the black dot with out bifocals, but it is a hex screw. I believe 1.5mm was wrench I used.

I untightened screw, removed wheel assembly. On the wheel shift a flat spot has been ground. This spot i'm sure is the locationl where the end of the set screw should sit and be tightened down.

The rudder and wheel is not 100 percent front to back with each other, but will charge battery, neutral the transmitter stick and make adjustsments for a neutral position of the servo arm. Then, I'll look and determine should any other adjustments need to be made so I can turn the plane while taxing.

Thanks all for your input.

Will advise more later. As usual, no bats are charged right now.

Jimmy

PS No minions showed up to work today, therefore I had to turn the planel upside down in order to find and make adjustments. Doubt they will be back since they only show up when its 80 plus degrees. Did I pay them for time off. no.
              Jimmy

Comment

Jimmy No apologize needed that is what we are here for I am sure that you have found your problem. Now finish repair and go fly LOL!!!!

Comment

The lousy tape hinges came loose on my PT-17 rudder so I replaced the tape with Hinge Point hinges
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	efpt17B.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	236256Click image for larger version

Name:	PTrepair.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	236257

Comment

Just picked this bird up at the LHS. Had some gift cards to burn there...Maidened this morning. Fun little bipe! Definitely has some issue with the stab incidence which seems to make it fly tail heavy even though the CG is correct and batteries are furthest forward. I refuse to add nose weight so I am flying her with extra down trim. Other than that she's the perfect little throw in the back of the car and go bird.

My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Just picked this bird up at the LHS. Had some gift cards to burn there...Maidened this morning. Fun little bipe! Definitely has some issue with the stab incidence which seems to make it fly tail heavy even though the CG is correct and batteries are furthest forward. I refuse to add nose weight so I am flying her with extra down trim. Other than that she's the perfect little throw in the back of the car and go bird.

My Older Brother gave me the one I am flying over a year ago. For building his SE5A by- plane. He had 4 oz. of lead in the nose with a 3 cell battery even with the front of the removable tray after the first time I flew it I took out all the nose weight and kept moving my 4 cell Admiral 2200 rearward until it would fly inverted in a 45 degree climb and not nose toward the ground, just keep climbing in the 45 degree climb hands off then I tested it at about just over 1/2 throttle hands off and now it fly straight and level inverted with no input to the elevator only flew it 2 times with a 3 cell 2200, seemed under powered or more scale like flight but with the 4cell 2200 it made a world of difference. I also rehinged the Ailerons rudder and Elevator. I really hate the way they use hinge tape and rely on the little bit of foam in the center After many hours of flying this plan I could see the foam tearing and the hinge tape coming loose. The way I ring em out that is the last thing I do not need happening. the loss of a flying surface I flew it again today for a total of more than an hour and 1/2. I love putting the go on top the wing pointing back and watching my dare devil pilot wring it out LOL!!!!

Comment

Nice Flight Aros. that Pilot looks like he may be my pilot's twin brother. You really need to get him a scarf so he can keep the oil out of his eye's LOL!!!! The E-Flite PT- 17 is my favorite little beater when I fly down at our fair grounds open field very fun little plane I have kept records on the flight time on my planes and I have over 40Hours of flight time on this one. the Flight time really adds up when we fly every other day

Comment

Thanks Wild Man! I was going to ask if anyone is using a 4S battery...While I am okay with the scale flying power on 3S, I wouldn't turn down a 4S for a little extra kick when needed. And yes, a scarf is a MUST and will be added today!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                            Thanks Wild Man! I was going to ask if anyone is using a 4S battery...While I am okay with the scale flying power on 3S, I wouldn't turn down a 4S for a little extra kick when needed. And yes, a scarf is a MUST and will be added today!
                            Yes, but no I have not tried...

yet.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Yes, but no I have not tried...

yet.
                              https://youtu.be/HhI39mIEwqY

Comment

F22trainer Man you sure fly High. and use a lot of full throttle I usually do not fly any high than that tower you flew by and the only time I use full throttle is climb for about 2 to 3 seconds and then I am off the throttle and get close to 10 minutes on the Admiral 4 cell 2200 35c batteries. The Field we fly over is less than 1/2 the size of where you are flying, Great flying though . The PT 17 is one of my favorite planes to do figure 8's close to the ground most of the time no more then 20 ft. and some time lower then 3ft. off the ground Keeps me limber for when I get out my Pylon racers. Hereare a few of my Q 500's sporting the Nelson Q 500 motors which you can not get any more I still 3 new ones in the box LOL!!!
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002391.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	240940
                                Attached Files

Comment

Aros, what battery were you using? Some have made a 5/8" foam platform for the battery to sit on when strapped to the battery tray permitting it to sit farther forward into the opening near the motor mount to deal with tail heavy flight. I do what you did and mechanically adjusted the clevis to dial in a few clicks of down elevator

Comment

Here is where I have my Admiral 4 cell 2200 35c battery on the tray NO OTHER WEIGHT When I check the CG I start where recom. Then I fly the plane and adjust for sraight and level flight upright then put it in a 45 degree inverted climb just above 1/2 throttle into the wind and leave controls at neutral if it noses for the ground ( nose heavy) I move the battery back ( rearward CG) if it climbs inverted (tail heavy) I move the battery forward until it stays in the 45 degree climb with neutral controls
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	CG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	240948

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                                      F22trainer Man you sure fly High. and use a lot of full throttle I usually do not fly any high than that tower you flew by and the only time I use full throttle is climb for about 2 to 3 seconds and then I am off the throttle and get close to 10 minutes on the Admiral 4 cell 2200 35c batteries. The Field we fly over is less than 1/2 the size of where you are flying, Great flying though . The PT 17 is one of my favorite planes to do figure 8's close to the ground most of the time no more then 20 ft. and some time lower then 3ft. off the ground Keeps me limber for when I get out my Pylon racers. Hereare a few of my Q 500's sporting the Nelson Q 500 motors which you can not get any more I still 3 new ones in the box LOL!!!
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IM002391.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	240940
                                      I get 7 minutes with the 3S set up / 2200 mAh battery, but seldom use full throttle, though I have been using more since I found some 3000 mAh batteries that are actually smaller than the Admirals I was using.
                                      We have a 400’ ceiling - since 1980’s when the club was formed, due to Deer Valley airport 3.8 nm east of our site. KDVT is the busiest GA airport in the US.
                                      The camera does tend to make things a bit more dramatic- mostly I hang aroun 100 - 200 feet. With all the rocks and gravel in our Arizona landscape, altitude is your friend because if you have to set down in the field it can be ugly. Click image for larger version

Name:	B6C1A181-7DA0-46BC-B128-6411AE0617C3.png
Views:	87
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	240955

Comment

Working...
                                      X