You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Rentaroo That's a very simular physical CG location that my wife's Hangar 9 1/4 scale Tiger Moth has.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by Pogo View Post
      Rentaroo, I just re-read the RCG thread and there's no mention of anyone flying their Moth at anywhere near the CG you are, but it's nice to know the model is tolerant of such a wide range for the balance point. Me, I'm going to start at ~115mm and slowly work back.
      Tom
      This is likely the safest decision to make. I also felt it would be too far back, but gave it a chance. Flys very good, so I'm happy :)

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Rentaroo View Post

        This is likely the safest decision to make. I also felt it would be too far back, but gave it a chance. Flys very good, so I'm happy :)
        I just found this, photos of a 1/3 scale being balanced at the trailing edge of the fuel tank, which apparently is the CG location of the full-size. Yours is actually quite conservative!
        Tom
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #44
          Not quite ready to fly yet but my Moth saw the light of day yesterday for a little photo session. Cosmetically, the whole thing (but for the cowl) was sprayed with a clear coat and the black bits painted to break up all the yellow a little. I had made the windshields for the Moth this one is replacing so swapping them over was quick- seat backs were made from foam and the instrument panels stained and varnished and epoxy on the instruments simulates glass.
          The landing gear received a makeover for scale appearance and "sprung" bracing was added to keep the gear from spreading outwards, as the full size have. This was made from ~2.5mm piano wire that goes into holes drilled in the metal blocks at the wheels and the wood blocks in the fuse the main wires also go into. O-ring material is wrapped around and crimped where the pieces meet, providing some spring. Drinking straws were used to thicken them up and although it seems cheesy it's light and actually looks pretty good. I replaced the plastic airfoil shapes with balsa and the front gear wire is covered with airfoil shaped aluminum I had on hand.
          I've never used a wood prop before- this one came from Falcon and arrived perfectly balanced (!). A wattmeter run yesterday yielded about 800 watts and 52 amps peak so should be enough juice- the prop is 13x8 and I hope I don't break it.
          Tom
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #45
            I discovered something cool today while finalizing battery placement.. The back hole in the rib in the fuel tank is located about 115mm back of the leading edge, right where I want to set the initial CoG. Super easy (and accurate) to hang the model from a line- beats fingers!
            Tom
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #46
              I maidened mine plus 2 more flights a couple of days ago and it couldn't have gone better. The ground handling was really good with no tendency to nose over on the longish grass at our field , even without full up elevator held in when taxiing. The modified landing gear soaked up the bumps nicely without splaying outwards, the added bracing doing it's job.
              The first flight only required a few clicks of trim in roll and pitch and there she was, flying like a Tiger Moth! Although there have been many reports of this model flying well I was still dubious about it's weight- every time I picked it up when putting it together I thought "man, this thing is heavy!" And at 7.5 lbs., it is- VQ has built this like a proverbial brick s**t house but fortunately it didn't feel heavy in the air at all. It took off and landed slowly and Tiger Moth style aerobatics were easy and scale looking. Just a delight to fly!
              The Eflite 32 motor spinning a 13x8 prop was good powerwise and the model cruised around a bit under half throttle and would loop willingly. The initial flight of 5 minutes left 70% (!) in the 4S 5000 battery so my timer was adjusted accordingly. One thing though, the motor was hotter than I liked so I've spaced the cowl sides out a bit and put a vent opening in the front cockpit, all to get air moving through better.
              i don't know how they came up with the aileron and elevator throws in the manual of 10mm but mine were 22 and 37mm respectively and I've since increased aileron throw to 27 up and still 50% down using differential. CG is about 120mm.
              Now that she's certified airworthy a student pilot has been added (the figure out of my deceased Moth). He's a bit on the small side but I'll just go with him being a short guy, lol.
              Tom
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #47

                The moment the CA glue sets......

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 20.26.49.png
Views:	0
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	263441
                Attached Files

                Comment

                Working...
                X