You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys! Really inspiring to read your posts! Received my Moth yesterday and just started the build. I will have a different approach using a 4-stroke Saito FA-56 Golden Night nitro engine.
    Do we have any other Nitro/Gas Nexa Moths around?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	272732

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	272734

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	272735
    The Saito fits perfect in the cowl but I will need to get a smaller custom muffler.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	272736

Regards

Andreas
    SWEDEN
    Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, I am still building mine 🤓

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco73 View Post
        Hi guys! Really inspiring to read your posts! Received my Moth yesterday and just started the build. I will have a different approach using a 4-stroke Saito FA-56 Golden Night nitro engine.
        Do we have any other Nitro/Gas Nexa Moths around?

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	272732

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	272734

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	272735
        The Saito fits perfect in the cowl but I will need to get a smaller custom muffler.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	272736

Regards

Andreas
        SWEDEN
        That little jewel of an engine is sure going to sound sweet in your Moth. Welcome to Hobby Squawk!
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DadsRcHangar View Post
          Very cool, I am still building mine 🤓
          Nice! Are you going for gas/nitro?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post

That little jewel of an engine is sure going to sound sweet in your Moth. Welcome to Hobby Squawk!
            Tom
            Thanks Tom. The sound and smell is really great :)
            But I quiickly realize that the heavy tail will cause COG problems. The engine weights 450g but it’s not enough.
            I have a couple of options:

1. Replace the steel pushrods to carbon or plastic
            2. Move elevator and rudder servo closer to the nose.
            3. Add weight to the nose
            4. Recover the hole plane. Feels like the covering is heavier than regular RC plane covering, like Monocote etc??
            5. Use a bigger engine. I also have a Saito 125 (20cc)

Any thoughts?

/Andreas

Comment

Andreas, if carbon control rods AND moving the servos forward would get you where you need to be I would go that route. I quickly looked at the specs for the Saito 125 and that seems a lot more engine than this model needs (?) I agree the covering seems heavy- perhaps just removing it from the tail surfaces and then removing all the needless wood (and replacing with ribs and lighter covering) would be the weight savings you need and also be much more scale. I considered doing this to mine and still might this winter. (I would just leave the outline of the vert. stab and horiz. stabs and add ribs, leaving the control surfaces alone.)
              What are you using as a CG measurement? The manual is too far forward at 112mm and mine (and others) are flying well around 120, so there's that as well.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco73 View Post

Nice! Are you going for gas/nitro?
                I Pogo, I use Optifuel Nitro. You can always have a see what crazy stuff I get upnto building this sexy Tiger Moth.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...jppkxpSbPAhCvh

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                  Andreas, if carbon control rods AND moving the servos forward would get you where you need to be I would go that route. I quickly looked at the specs for the Saito 125 and that seems a lot more engine than this model needs (?) I agree the covering seems heavy- perhaps just removing it from the tail surfaces and then removing all the needless wood (and replacing with ribs and lighter covering) would be the weight savings you need and also be much more scale. I considered doing this to mine and still might this winter. (I would just leave the outline of the vert. stab and horiz. stabs and add ribs, leaving the control surfaces alone.)
                  What are you using as a CG measurement? The manual is too far forward at 112mm and mine (and others) are flying well around 120, so there's that as well.
                  Tom
                  Hi Tom. Thanks for great inputs! A CG at 120mm makes big difference. I still went for the nr 1 and 2 mod and it came out really nice.

First I 3D-printed an extra support for the push rod tubes (the black plastic plate)

Then added new mount for the servos. And because I use std size servos, it will bring 120 grams of weight a lot closer to the nose.

Then I replaced the steel rods with 1.5mm carbon rods. 3 carbon rods weights 7,5 grams compared to the steel ones which weights 54 grams and that's a lot of weight saved so far back in the fuselage. Maybe I will end up in a nose heavy plane now =)

/Andreas

Comment

Always loved Du-Bro parts. Expensive but...it' a Du-Bro. So I just had to replace the included tank (which probably works perfect) with a nitro Du-Bro tank.
                    And the 10 oz tank fits perfect under the "canopy". Just need to add a bracket that prevents the tank from moving backwards.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	274448

Comment

Andreas, glad the servo repositioning and CF rods did the trick! A nose heavy tiger Moth?? Now that's a concept lol! The new tank looks good too.
                      Tom
                      Last edited by Pogo; Sep 14, 2020, 04:10 PM. Reason: Wrote tail, meant nose

Comment

Working...
                      X