X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFE technology

Is there anywhere that the SAFE Technology from HobbyZone can be purchased to add to a non HobbyZone plane? Perhaps this should be in the "wanted" section.

SAFE technology is a product of Spektrum which is owned by Horizon Hobby. You can purchase any Spektrum receiver with SAFE and install it in any aircraft, you just have to set it up on your own so it flies the aircraft your installing it in properly. You don't want to take the SAFE receiver out of a BNF plane and install it in a different plane because that receiver is set up for the plane it came with.

So long story short, there are plenty of videos out there to help you install a SAFE tech receiver in a plane, but there is no "drag n drop" option.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
      SAFE technology is a product of Spektrum which is owned by Horizon Hobby. You can purchase any Spektrum receiver with SAFE and install it in any aircraft, you just have to set it up on your own so it flies the aircraft your installing it in properly. You don't want to take the SAFE receiver out of a BNF plane and install it in a different plane because that receiver is set up for the plane it came with.

So long story short, there are plenty of videos out there to help you install a SAFE tech receiver in a plane, but there is no "drag n drop" option.
      Thanks James!!! I appreciate your help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

One more question!!! Doesn't the SAFE technology system need the unit that is imbedded in the windshield that shows green when all is go for take off, along with the tiny unit taped to the inside cabin? Both are plugged into the A3230A RCVR.

Comment

Originally posted by InaSpin View Post

One more question!!! Doesn't the SAFE technology system need the unit that is imbedded in the windshield that shows green when all is go for take off, along with the tiny unit taped to the inside cabin? Both are plugged into the A3230A RCVR.
          No
          I'm pretty sure that receiver and functionality is specifically made for a.specific plane. SAFE receivers do not have any OK to fly lights or other required modules.

There are lots of videos Horizon has published on the user configurable receivers. AR637 for one, and how to program them using forward programming in your transmitter. I encourage you to watch them all.

The next thing is your transmitter must support forward programming. If it does not, then you will not be able to program any receiver for Safe or AS3X. In this case you would need to replace your transmitter with one that does.
          Video here

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/VJK4Oan5z1Q

Comment

Thanks to all that have responded, but I'm not sure you understand my question. Perhaps my question should be: What is the red/green light module imbedded in the windshield and the small module taped to the inside of the cabin of the HZ Carbon Cub? If I understand what the reply's say, these 2 items are not required for the SAFE system to work.
            It seems to me that I should be able to take all the electronics that are used in the Carbon Cub and install them in any other airplane of the same approx. size and weight, use the same TXM and fly the new plane using the SAFE system. I know I can replace individual electrical parts in the present plane as needed. The only thing that apparently is unavailable is the 2 modules mentioned above.
            Thanks again for your replies to an old slow geezer.😫😫

Comment

Thanks to all that have responded, but I'm not sure you understand my question. Perhaps my question should be: What is the red/green light module imbedded in the windshield and the small module taped to the inside of the cabin of the HZ Carbon Cub? If I understand what the reply's say, these 2 items are not required for the SAFE system to work.
              It seems to me that I should be able to take all the electronics that are used in the Carbon Cub and install them in any other airplane of the same approx. size and weight, use the same TXM and fly the new plane using the SAFE system. I know I can replace individual electrical parts in the present plane as needed. The only thing that apparently is unavailable is the 2 modules mentioned above.
              Technically this is possible but as James said upthread, dont recycle receivers specifically programmed for another plane. Unless you are very careful, and somewhat lucky, odds are you will lose the new plane. Success depends on whether or not you can reprogram the receiver, and not every one can be reprogrammed.

The receiver in the old plane knows what is left, right, up, and down. Position it incorrectly in the new plane and it will try to correct the orientation of the plane straight into the ground. Similarly, the gains for the gyro are set for that particular model. If the gains are too high, the model will oscillate in the sky and could become uncontrollable. Too low and there isn't any stabilization. Finally on some models the direction of how a a particular servo moves needs to be reversed. This is programmed into the receiver. If the old plane needed a servo reversed and the new one doesn't, or vice versa, the control surface will not move correctly and you will lose your plane if you fly it that way.

All of these things are easily set in programmable receivers and you shouldn't be afraid to learn and explore the technology.

The current system for programming the receiver is much simpler and is the only way Horizon/Spectrum supports user configurable SAFE mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

Technically this is possible but as James said upthread, dont recycle receivers specifically programmed for another plane. Unless you are very careful, and somewhat lucky, odds are you will lose the new plane. Success depends on whether or not you can reprogram the receiver, and not every one can be reprogrammed.

The receiver in the old plane knows what is left, right, up, and down. Position it incorrectly in the new plane and it will try to correct the orientation of the plane straight into the ground. Similarly, the gains for the gyro are set for that particular model. If the gains are too high, the model will oscillate in the sky and could become uncontrollable. Too low and there isn't any stabilization. Finally on some models the direction of how a a particular servo moves needs to be reversed. This is programmed into the receiver. If the old plane needed a servo reversed and the new one doesn't, or vice versa, the control surface will not move correctly and you will lose your plane if you fly it that way.

All of these things are easily set in programmable receivers and you shouldn't be afraid to learn and explore the technology.

The current system for programming the receiver is much simpler and is the only way Horizon/Spectrum supports user configurable SAFE mode.

Thanks so much. Your advice is good and greatly appreciated.

Comment

Perhaps my question should be: What is the red/green light module imbedded in the windshield and the small module taped to the inside of the cabin of the HZ Carbon Cub? If I understand what the reply's say, these 2 items are not required for the SAFE system to work.
                  You have to be far more specific in your description, perhaps even to include a picture of those things you are asking about. Do you have the manual for your plane? You might take another read of it. It may give you the answers you seek.
                  Insofar as that little light, it may be an indicator light that has something to do with "landing assist". Then there's that "module". It could also have something to do with "landing assist" or the GPS unit to make landing assist work. Which version of this plane do you have? This information may have been critical when looking for clarification.
                  Unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the equipment to do it (ie, forward programming, etc), you CANNOT and should not simple move this type of electronic equipment from one plane to another, even if the next plane is of similar size and weight. Servos may be reversed. Gyro direction may be reversed. Gains may not be appropriate for another plane. Even with a brand new "blank" AS3X, Safe select RX that has been set up correctly for one plane, one should NOT simply move it from that plane to another without looking at each phase and step of the programming. PLUS, it is critical that you fully understand how to test a newly programmed and newly relocated device of this kind before you fly it. I have a fellow at our field who only flies planes with Safe Select. He does what you think might be possible to do. He crashes a plane and then takes the RX and moves it into another plane. 2 out of 5 of these planes fly themselves into the ground within 5 seconds. That's similar to why the previous plane crashed. You could call it "a very short take off and landing" (VSTOL) aircraft.
                  The electronic bits and pieces of a HZ C. Cub may be very proprietary for just that plane. Unless you know how to "unlock" it and wipe it clean and start over again, it is not likely that any of it can be used in another plane. If it has GPS enabled "landing assist", the bulk of the electronics may not be useable without that module. The programming makes that "module" dependent. It can be removed but you must know exactly how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    You have to be far more specific in your description, perhaps even to include a picture of those things you are asking about. Do you have the manual for your plane? You might take another read of it. It may give you the answers you seek.
                    Insofar as that little light, it may be an indicator light that has something to do with "landing assist". Then there's that "module". It could also have something to do with "landing assist" or the GPS unit to make landing assist work. Which version of this plane do you have? This information may have been critical when looking for clarification.
                    Unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the equipment to do it (ie, forward programming, etc), you CANNOT and should not simple move this type of electronic equipment from one plane to another, even if the next plane is of similar size and weight. Servos may be reversed. Gyro direction may be reversed. Gains may not be appropriate for another plane. Even with a brand new "blank" AS3X, Safe select RX that has been set up correctly for one plane, one should NOT simply move it from that plane to another without looking at each phase and step of the programming. PLUS, it is critical that you fully understand how to test a newly programmed and newly relocated device of this kind before you fly it. I have a fellow at our field who only flies planes with Safe Select. He does what you think might be possible to do. He crashes a plane and then takes the RX and moves it into another plane. 2 out of 5 of these planes fly themselves into the ground within 5 seconds. That's similar to why the previous plane crashed. You could call it "a very short take off and landing" (VSTOL) aircraft.
                    The electronic bits and pieces of a HZ C. Cub may be very proprietary for just that plane. Unless you know how to "unlock" it and wipe it clean and start over again, it is not likely that any of it can be used in another plane. If it has GPS enabled "landing assist", the bulk of the electronics may not be useable without that module. The programming makes that "module" dependent. It can be removed but you must know exactly how to do it.
                    Thank to you as well. I'm beginning to get the drift through my thick skull. 🤔🤔🤨🤨🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      FYI only. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040433.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	324874Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040432.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	324875 Here's a couple of pics.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...