You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1870mm DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    What battery are y’all using. I am using 2 Smart 4s 3200MAH batteries.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by USAairlines View Post
      What battery are y’all using. I am using 2 Smart 4s 3200MAH batteries.
      I am using 2x3000mah, 4s, Turnigy Graphene. These graphenes tend to be a bit heavier and bigger than a non-graphene battery, so I would guess that both of them total more closely to about just under 7000mah. Since I had to shove one of them under the pilot's seat to balance, I would say that this plane would balance fine in the space allotted with 8000mah, 4s, maybe more.
      By comparison, I've noticed that Eflite's smart batteries tend to be on the lighter, smaller size than other equivalent LiPos. I don't know how they do it, packing 100C in some of their batteries and still be smaller and lighter than anything else on the market with much less "C". And cheaper than their non-smart batteries. If you ever use one is an EDF, I'd be interested to know how they perform.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by USAairlines View Post
        What battery are y’all using. I am using 2 Smart 4s 3200MAH batteries.
        We are using two Turnigy Nano 4S 3000mah placed back as close to the servos as they can go. Balances perfect and flys great.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by xviper View Post
          I am using 2x3000mah, 4s, Turnigy Graphene. These graphenes tend to be a bit heavier and bigger than a non-graphene battery, so I would guess that both of them total more closely to about just under 7000mah. Since I had to shove one of them under the pilot's seat to balance, I would say that this plane would balance fine in the space allotted with 8000mah, 4s, maybe more.
          By comparison, I've noticed that Eflite's smart batteries tend to be on the lighter, smaller size than other equivalent LiPos. I don't know how they do it, packing 100C in some of their batteries and still be smaller and lighter than anything else on the market with much less "C". And cheaper than their non-smart batteries. If you ever use one is an EDF, I'd be interested to know how they perform.
          Yeah, I actually use them for my freewing AL37. They work pretty well. I am using smart ESCs for the twin otter, because I want to see battery voltage, RPM, etc.

          Comment


          • #45
            I found my pilots for my Twin Otter. Being Canadian by birth and to honor our recent Space X astronauts, it only seemed fitting Bob and Doug McKenzie be my flight crew for the Twin Otter.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by Rmawer View Post
              I found my pilots for my Twin Otter. Being Canadian by birth and to honor our recent Space X astronauts, it only seemed fitting Bob and Doug McKenzie be my flight crew for the Twin Otter.
              Perfect! They will actually be able to "Take off, eh!"

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post

                Perfect! They will actually be able to "Take off, eh!"
                Yes b'y

                Comment


                • #48
                  Never have I taken so long to complete a build. Funny thing about retirement; I've had less time to do things but at least I'm not bored.

                  Finally got back working on my Twin Otter. Did a first full check of all the avionics (OK - Servos). Discovered two issues with the right elevator servo (yes, I'm using dual servos).
                  First, I had an intermittent in the Y cable so that had to be replaced.
                  Second, I noticed the right servo wasn't centering so I thought the servo was going bad so I pulled it. then I tried to remove the push-rod. I was amazed with how much force I needed to pull it out. No wonder the servo wasn't centering. When I looked inside, right where the rear most window is, the push-rod tube makes approximately a 5 or 10 degree bend. The supplied 0.070" push-rod didn't like that bend and started binding in the sheath right around the rearmost window.
                  All wasn't lost. I replaced the steel rods (two elevators so both push-rods needed to be the same) with my trusted yellow Sullivan push-rods. Yes, I know that is not the ideal fix and a lot of builders hate them but 1) it was the simplest fix and 2) I've been using these rods for years and as long as I had them secured properly, even with gas models, they were very reliable.


                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Rmawer Thanks for sharing that tip, Rmawer! I too have had good success with Sullivan pushrods in the right places.

                    Do you have a target date for maiden?
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

                    Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

                    Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      We've flown my wife's Twin Otter a couple of times before our move started. This is a really nice flying twin! Both motors are running CCW APC 3-blades with no real ill tendencies. Lands nice and slow too.

                      This is pre-Nexa, but made at the same factory. Maybe the Nature Air livery will be offered in Nexa at Motion RC.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter Maiden Day1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	273826Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter Maiden Day3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	273827

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                        Rmawer Thanks for sharing that tip, Rmawer! I too have had good success with Sullivan pushrods in the right places.

                        Do you have a target date for maiden?
                        If I can get my act together, and pending the condition of the field where I usually fly the bigger birds, I'm targeting the end of the month

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          OK - Who let these guys in my Otter Eh? Plane came out nose heavy. Must be the beer they stashed under the seat (and in the nose, and behind the instrument panel)

                          Just kidding, haven't balanced it yet but I'm still going to check for empty's)
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            When is it back in stock?

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              xviper, do you think two 1100kv motors running on a 3 cell will be enough power?

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by USAairlines View Post
                                xviper, do you think two 1100kv motors running on a 3 cell will be enough power?
                                Of course, it depends on the props you use. I fly mine on 900kv motors, 10x6x3 props on 4 cells and it has lots of power. I think your 1100kv motors on 3 cells will be quite good.

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Of course, it depends on the props you use. I fly mine on 900kv motors, 10x6x3 props on 4 cells and it has lots of power. I think your 1100kv motors on 3 cells will be quite good.
                                  What about an 11 by 7 prop?

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Originally posted by USAairlines View Post
                                    What about an 11 by 7 prop?
                                    2-blade? Should be OK, depends on what ESC you're using. Best to check the amp draw to be sure. If that's a 3-blade, it may be too much prop.

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      2-blade? Should be OK, depends on what ESC you're using. Best to check the amp draw to be sure. If that's a 3-blade, it may be too much prop.
                                      it is a 45 amp esc with a two bladed prop.

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Originally posted by USAairlines View Post

                                        it is a 45 amp esc with a two bladed prop.
                                        Still best to check the amp draw. Also check how hot the area around the ESCs get. I mounted the ESCs in each motor nacelle, just behind the firewall. Mine got very hot and I ended up cutting exhaust slits in the motor nacelle covers at the back for airflow. I started with 60A ESC's but now fly with 80A ones on 4 cells.

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	C6DBC8F5-F4FC-4443-BFE0-79D20EC39A48.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	275879

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X