You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1870mm DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dutchwhite001
    replied
    Hey Xviper, Just ordered my Canadian version Twin Otter to match my Nature Air. And while I was at it, I ordered both the Tigermoths. Figured since I had the one already, mine as well have all three!
    Dutchman

Leave a comment:

• Sureshot
    replied
    Me three!

Leave a comment:

• jobinseattle
    replied
    Just ordered mine also.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMTN_Boy
    replied
    They're in stock, mine is on the way!!!

Leave a comment:

• tab28682
    replied
    With this (excellent) livery, it is technically a military aircraft, not a commercial aircraft.....: )

Love that it is a short nose Twotter. If I recall correctly, there have not been any short nose versions done as an ARF before.

While 10% smaller than the excellent Hangar 9 Twin Otter, it is a real value at the price shown. The list price on the H9 Twotter was $599 when it was discontinued.

I ned to get the old H9 Twotter out and fly it. I have been procrastinating on a minor repair to the mounting ring on the fiberglass nose.

Leave a comment:

• jobinseattle
    replied
    Thanks, I think I will go with the Admiral 4S 4000mah since I already have four of them. The difference in weight from the Admiral 3S 5000 to the Admiral 4S 4000mah is 16 grams. I am sure a 3S 6000mah is heavier than the 4S 4000mah (388g). Besides that think I will go with most of Motion RC recommends except I will use these motors: Leopard 3536-10T 780kv Brushless Airplane Motor

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Yes, you can use one battery if you like. It’s just a bigger one that equals that of 2 smaller ones. If you build this plane on 3s power, the recommended battery is up to 6000mah. So, you could go with one of those or 2 smaller ones equaling that mah. I built mine to run on 4s power and I use 2X3000 mah, but I could just as easily go with one 5000mah to 6000mah battery. I have a lot of smaller batteries. You just need enough weight to achieve the correct CG in the space available. One or two batteries doesn’t matter. It’s what you have or what you want to buy.

Leave a comment:

• jobinseattle
    replied
    According to Motion RC their version uses only one battery. I even sent them a message and they confirmed it.

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by jobinseattle View Post
    Anyone planning on running 4s 4000 batteries in this plane? Looks like the Admiral motors and the ZTW Mantis will support it.
    As this is the same plane as the VQ Twin Otter "Nature Air" version, it's been done. I use 2 Graphenes, which are about the same size and weight as non-graphene 4000, 4s. I stack them one on top of the other "longitudinally", but staggered. In order to balance the plane, one has to be slid underneath the pilot seat, leaving about 2/3rds of it sticking out behind the seat. The second battery goes on top (with some non-slip matting in between) and the rear of it hangs past the end of the bottom battery. A fairly long velcro is needed to hold it in place. Depending on how you built yours and the motors and ESCs you use, you may be able to use a single large 4s battery or put the two 4000's side by side with a bit tucked under the seat.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HobbyKing (VQ) Twin Otter_Moment(3).jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	254658

Leave a comment:

• jobinseattle
    replied
    Anyone planning on running 4s 4000 batteries in this plane? Looks like the Admiral motors and the ZTW Mantis will support it.

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    That looked pretty good on 3S. They are using 1250kv motors, so total rpm is still up there.

Leave a comment:

• jobinseattle
    replied
    Thanks, I have not seen that one.

Leave a comment:

• nuts-n-volts
    replied
    Here ya go... Not my video or plane. I just found it on YouTube. 3 cell flight Looks pretty good!

Leave a comment:

• jobinseattle
    replied
    Sure would be nice to see some videos of this plane especially using a 3 cell on such a big plane.

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    bkjohns Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

The choice of ESC is really dependent on what motors you plan to run. If you were to run the Admiral GP2 3520 950kv motors mentioned in the listing, you could go with the ZTW 45A ESCs. The burst rating for the motors is 42A and the burst rating for the 45A ESCs are 65A. The burst power rating is for about 10 seconds.

It's often a good idea to have a little more margin between the upper limit of the motor and the ESC.

It looks like the 85A referenced is a carry over from a cut and past when creating the listing.

Leave a comment:

• bkjohns
    replied
    "2x 85 Amp brushless ESCs - we recommend TWO of the ZTW Mantis 45A ESC with 5A SBEC"

So which is it - 2 85 amp or 2 45 amp?? (note the underlines)

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by rcaf03 View Post
    xviper, I am looking to get the same model for my birthday. How long can you fly with the 4000mAh beteries and 850kv motors?
    With 2 X 3000mah, 4s Graphenes (equivalent to about 3500+ mah "regular" LiPos), I can fly for about 8 minutes (mixed throttle) and land with about 3.7v/cell.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMTN_Boy
    replied
    I'm very happy to see this model coming to the MotionRC lineup, I have had my eye on this DHC-6 for a while! Thanks Alpha

Leave a comment:

• rcaf03
    replied
    xviper, I am looking to get the same model for my birthday. How long can you fly with the 4000mAh beteries and 850kv motors?

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    Alpha the new Nexa line will be a welcome addition to the MRC product lineup. Starting with fan favorites makes sense while the new designs are developed.

Exciting times indeed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X