You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1870mm DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gents.... I am considering one of these otters. For those who one, can you tell me if the wings are fully balsa, or an open structure covered in film.

Comment

Originally posted by greyflyuk View Post
      Gents.... I am considering one of these otters. For those who one, can you tell me if the wings are fully balsa, or an open structure covered in film.
      It's an open structure (balsa spars and ribs), covered with film, but near the wing root, leading/trailing edges, there is also balsa sheeting. The wingtips appear to be a plastic molded piece.

Comment

I had one of these from Hobby King. I shortened the gear to make it stand lower, and mine had a tendency to roll to the left. I thought I had it beat, but on the 2nd flight, it became uncontrollable. Post crash investigation saw the aileron hinges, which had been torn out, had a very thin strip of balsa still attached. I'm thinking that they were working themselves out in flight and thus causing the increasingly uncontrollable left turn.
        I will get another as I did like this plane, but check those hinges! Do a good pull test and make sure they are well seated after the first few flights.
        I also mounted the ESCs on the bottom of the wing, so that the surface of the ESC was flush with the wing surface, at the root by the fuse so the leads to the motor were short as possible, and they would recieve adequate cooling.

Comment

Here's the before and after of the gear shortening. I think it looks much more realistic sitting closer to the ground.
          Attached Files

Comment

The ESC mounting in the wings
            Attached Files

Comment

One of the post crash aileron hinges, note the very tiny area where the glue actually attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

Before the fatal day, it looked really nice.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X