You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-New Freewing PJ50 Twin 70mm EDF Jet - Official Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • xviper Let the fun begin!

    Comment


    • Something to brighten up these cold, dark winter nites.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Something to brighten up these cold, dark winter nites.
        Since you probably can't fly it till spring, you may want to ship it down to me to spend the winter in Florida like a bunch of other "Snow Birds" do!

        I may get a look at the BH "Gulfstream" next week (weather permitting) as a buddy who reps for them has one (just got it early this week) that she wants him to do a review of and some photos/videos in flight. I'll be using his camera equipment to do the photography but doubt he'll let me fly it afterwards (he knows my skills, unfortunately). We just completed the same for them on her new Russian Mig 25 and Gripen and some of the photos are already on her website. Nice aircraft! We're planning on using my SMC 5300's and 6200's to see how it performs, so it should be interesting. Apparently, it comes with a gyro, so only needs an RX. I'm definitely a MRC/FW/FL guy but do enjoy seeing other competitors models. The more the merrier!
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by xviper View Post
          This just in................
          I am soooooo jealous! Lucky you. Decided on a paint scheme or leave as it comes?

          -GG

          Comment


          • Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

            I am soooooo jealous! Lucky you. Decided on a paint scheme or leave as it comes?

            -GG
            For now, it'll stay as is. The only PNP/BNF plane I've ever really customized is my AL-37 in the WestJet theme. Decal'd by Callie and painted what couldn't be. I'm not a real good airplane painter, so I refrain from embarrassing myself. If Callie has an interesting set of decals for it, I may reconsider.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

              Since you probably can't fly it till spring, you may want to ship it down to me to spend the winter in Florida like a bunch of other "Snow Birds" do!

              I may get a look at the BH "Gulfstream" next week (weather permitting) as a buddy who reps for them has one (just got it early this week) that she wants him to do a review of and some photos/videos in flight. I'll be using his camera equipment to do the photography but doubt he'll let me fly it afterwards (he knows my skills, unfortunately). We just completed the same for them on her new Russian Mig 25 and Gripen and some of the photos are already on her website. Nice aircraft! We're planning on using my SMC 5300's and 6200's to see how it performs, so it should be interesting. Apparently, it comes with a gyro, so only needs an RX. I'm definitely a MRC/FW/FL guy but do enjoy seeing other competitors models. The more the merrier!
              I'd enjoy seeing those pics and videos but I guess you'd have to put in another thread. If it came from you, it would be informative rather than the sales pitch spam and promo like we've seen already for the X-Fly effort. I'm not entirely averse to the idea of getting one for comparison but I've got another pricey jet at the top of the list now (Freewing 8s F-22).
              PS. Florida's a bit too far for me as a snowbird destination. Most of the guys I know around here are the Arizona/California types.

              Comment


              • While taking a break from working on my Flite Test Flerken, I've gone to the next step in PJ50 process. First one was to take inventory of all the parts. The next step was to check that all the servos are working.
                Ailerons, flaps, elevators, rudder, steering, retracts ........................ all work. HOWEVER, take a look at the following pictures of the wing boards, left and right sides ...............................................

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4010.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	334904Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4011.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	334905

                Anyone see the difference? One the left, the 3 servo leads are spaced. One the right, the 3 servo leads are all together next to each other. The one all together is INcorrect. The person at the factory didn't follow the directions and just plugged them in "willy nilly". I did a "dry fit" to see how they responded and sure enough, the AIL lead off the blue box worked one AIL and one Flap. Anyone not having worked with these wing boards would have gone "WTF"? Unplugging each lead and trying it in different slots cured it all.

                Next observation .......................... on the wing board, notice the one light lead plugged into the board. Note that there is one empty light plug (2 pins) on each side. Now, why couldn't they have done a little modification to the blue box circuits so that the extra light lead from each side could be plugged into the empty pins? Maybe they can. I'll have to test it out to see the difference. Perhaps they don't blink the way they wanted. This would make it unnecessary to have to plug those into the blue box after the wing got attached. But see the following picture ....................................

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	334906

                They made a Y "pigtail" that is already plugged into the blue box for those 2 leads coming from the wing. But remember that there is yet a 3rd light lead coming from the light in one of the wheel wells. I presume that this one has to be plugged directly into the blue box. I'll make another pigtail that is plugged into the blue box. Then I tape all 3 plugs together, as well as taping the 3 leads from the wing together. That would make it just one motion to plug those in - 3 motions instead of 5.

                Next, Minwax everything.

                Comment


                • xviper, would you say that the version that you received is exactly as we should expect from the point of view of finish, fit, components, etc ? Or might it be a pre - production version specifically to get feedback ?,

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by killickb View Post
                    xviper, would you say that the version that you received is exactly as we should expect from the point of view of finish, fit, components, etc ? Or might it be a pre - production version specifically to get feedback ?,
                    I believe my unit is what will come off the container ship and end up in the various MotionRC warehouses. The RC Castle units come from the same production and not pre-production. The only difference is the lengthy delay in loading, waiting, processing of the pallets that were intended for the shipping method (sea voyage) and of course the trip across the ocean and the subsequent delays at the destinations (paperwork for customs, transport, transfer to trucks, etc). In many ways, the shipment of a single unit by post is far simpler and much speedier (and costlier).
                    All the bits and pieces of my plane have been as good as any Freewing product purchased previously from both MotionRC and RC Castle. The little glitches as seen with the mis-placement of servo leads into boards is not uncommon with these products. I've seen similar things with FMS products (eg. my V2 1700mm Corsair).

                    Comment


                    • xviper Good catch on the wing board connections. I like the simplicity of your idea for the light connections as well.

                      Would you be willing to work with Wildvortex and provide him with some measurements from your plane so he can design and make 3D printed nose gear braces for the PJ50T? I've used several of them on different birds. They really save a lot of stress on the nose retract when flying from grass. Hopefully, with your help, we can have some available when these birds hit the US warehouse. Thanks. See this thread:
                      https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/cl...ite-flightline
                      ​​​​​​​

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                        xviper Good catch on the wing board connections. I like the simplicity of your idea for the light connections as well.

                        Would you be willing to work with Wildvortex and provide him with some measurements from your plane so he can design and make 3D printed nose gear braces for the PJ50T? I've used several of them on different birds. They really save a lot of stress on the nose retract when flying from grass. Hopefully, with your help, we can have some available when these birds hit the US warehouse. Thanks. See this thread:
                        https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/cl...ite-flightline
                        I could take a picture of the nose gear deployed, along with some measurements and PM them to him. He can ask for additional measurements if he needs them.

                        Comment


                        • xviper Thanks!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            I could take a picture of the nose gear deployed, along with some measurements and PM them to him. He can ask for additional measurements if he needs them.
                            Regarding PM….The function of sending email notifications that the recipient has a PM has not been working.

                            If the recipient doesn’t log in and check his inbox, they won’t know they have a PM.

                            -GG

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

                              Regarding PM….The function of sending email notifications that the recipient has a PM has not been working.

                              If the recipient doesn’t log in and check his inbox, they won’t know they have a PM.

                              -GG
                              OK, perhaps Twowingtj can let him know some other way. I've sent a PM to Wildvortex already with pics and measurements.
                              I've never had email notification of PMs or of new posts to subscribed threads. When I come to this forum, I immediately see at the top that I have "messages" and click on it. That tells me that I have either PM or new replies to subscribed threads. I don't know if that works for him.

                              Comment


                              • I've bought a few braces from him, here's his email. And his email is on his advert in the for sale section so hopefully no foul.

                                wildvortex@charter.net

                                Comment


                                • RE: The 3 light leads from the wing...... Just happened to have a 2-wire light extension cable from a dead plane. Now, I can make the connections from the wing to the blue box in one motion. Tape the 3 plugs from the wing together. Tape the 3 plugs from the blue box together. Equals ONE triple connector. The 2 ribbon cables from the wing and the triple light plugs will be zip tied together so only need to fish one thing from the wing. This now becomes far easier to assemble this plane at the field than it ever was for the AL-37 (requires 5 connections per side = X10 vs X3).

                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4020.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	335121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	335122

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    RE: The 3 light leads from the wing...... Just happened to have a 2-wire light extension cable from a dead plane. Now, I can make the connections from the wing to the blue box in one motion. Tape the 3 plugs from the wing together. Tape the 3 plugs from the blue box together. Equals ONE triple connector. The 2 ribbon cables from the wing and the triple light plugs will be zip tied together so only need to fish one thing from the wing. This now becomes far easier to assemble this plane at the field than it ever was for the AL-37 (requires 5 connections per side = X10 vs X3).

                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4020.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	335121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	335122
                                    I like that idea. Simple

                                    I was planning on trying to find a 6 wire connector. This is so much better

                                    Comment


                                    • Finally got to see the BH "Gulfstream" in person and was tasked with doing the photography and video for her website. More in the "What did you Fly Today" thread, but this airframe is definitely a winner. Specs very similar to the FW PJ50 so expect that one to fly just as well. Super stable at incredibly low speed (35% throttle) and plenty of guts to get up and go. While this, like the AL37, isn't exactly my "cup of tea", I can still appreciate a well thought out and manufactured model. I suspect these will sell incredibly well to a large audience and think that after you get your "Gulfstream" (or whatever they're called), it will soon become a favorite. I'm definitely an MRC kind of guy, and never thought I'd say this about the Pj50, but just may have to get one myself. Definitely can't wait to see some of the incredible re-paints that no doubt will be coming in the next couple years like we saw with the AL-37. 7 minutes on a SMC 5300 and over 10 on a SMC 6200. Sweet! I'm positive those of you with a FW PJ50 in your future will absolutely love it!!!

                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Gulfstream 2-1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	335140Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220119-WA0001.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	335141Click image for larger version

Name:	Gulfstream 5-1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	335142
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                                      Comment


                                      • This would b my choice of scheme if i could afford one right now,, Click image for larger version

Name:	16426579782223192960096798780756.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	335171

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                          RE: The 3 light leads from the wing...... Just happened to have a 2-wire light extension cable from a dead plane. Now, I can make the connections from the wing to the blue box in one motion. Tape the 3 plugs from the wing together. Tape the 3 plugs from the blue box together. Equals ONE triple connector. The 2 ribbon cables from the wing and the triple light plugs will be zip tied together so only need to fish one thing from the wing. This now becomes far easier to assemble this plane at the field than it ever was for the AL-37 (requires 5 connections per side = X10 vs X3).

                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4020.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	335121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	335122
                                          Thanks for the work around on that. Quick assembly/disassembly at the field is critical for me.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X