Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 727 Dude
    replied
    wvrailfan- Very nice! Cold, windy and forecast for 10-12" snow tonight here. :( I feel your pain. I just wanna go fly.

Leave a comment:

• wvrailfan
    replied
    Picked up one of these. Looks like a nice plane to have when you just want to toss something in the car and head to the field. The lights are nice, should make those sunset flights more fun.

I used some vinyl film I had left over from other projects to modify the paint scheme a little. I also added a Flytron white strobe to the belly of the plane.

Now if the weather would just cut us a break!

Leave a comment:

• 727 Dude
    replied
    Got Callie working on graphics for my Cherokee. Even though she was an Archer, I think this will look great in the paint job she wore. I am having Callie make up a faux rear window graphic to simulate the rear window on the Archer. The Archer actually had a 5" extension to the fuselage over the 140, but I don't think it will be all that noticeable. Red, White and Blue buddy! 'Murica!! Yeah!! N32258. I'll never forget that call sign. I found a picture of another Archer with the same paint pattern, but with different colors so I butchered it up with microsoft paint to get the idea across:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	N33094__0010_DSC09937.jpg.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	178675

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied
    Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Nice! I graduated in 2016, Aerospace Engineering. The Chino club is awesome, excellent group and a fantastic field! The slope can make stopping interesting for downhill landings though.
    My neighbor asked me about aviation programs for his grandson and I recommend Embry-Riddle, and even brought him over to ask me questions.
    That was 3 years ago and reports indicate ‘he’s no longer that lost teenager’ and will graduate next year. While not a grad, I knew what came from those halls. I took the high road - school of hard knocks you might say. Hope to meet more ER’s - client last week was also a professional pilot and ER grad and we had a great week together getting him through his Initial Training for the M600.

Leave a comment:

• F106DeltaDart
    replied
    Originally posted by 727 Dude View Post

Hey F106! A fellow Eagle! I went to Riddle too. Graduated in '86. Air Sci. I was flying over at Casa de Aero, but I need to re-up my membership. Thinking of joining the club over in Chino Valley. Paved strip! Niiiice! I live alot closer to Riddle, but that paved strip in Chino......tempting! :Cool:
    Nice! I graduated in 2016, Aerospace Engineering. The Chino club is awesome, excellent group and a fantastic field! The slope can make stopping interesting for downhill landings though.

Leave a comment:

• 727 Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Cold and windy here too. Sounds like we have chewed the same dirt through flight training and instruction. I know we visit Prescott for a few events and you would be welcome in N. Phoenix anytime. See ya ‘round the patch.
    Thank you for the invite sir! I look forward to meeting you sometime either here or there! :Cool:

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied

Hey F22! I'm up in Prescott. I see you are in Sun City. Must be pretty nice flying wx there right now. 19F degrees here as I type this. Had a little snow today too, but not enough to stick really. Brrrrrr! I instructed mostly in 172's but also Cherokees (180, 140, Arrow). My flight training up through my commercial and instrument was all in the Cherokee Archer, and Arrow for the complex. Still prefer the low-wing to the high-wing. I also hardly ever used flaps for takeoff, and if at all it was only 1 notch.

Pretty cold and windy up here, but hoping for a break in the WX conditions for a maiden flight sometime soon.

All the best!
    Cold and windy here too. Sounds like we have chewed the same dirt through flight training and instruction. I know we visit Prescott for a few events and you would be welcome in N. Phoenix anytime. See ya ‘round the patch.

Leave a comment:

• 727 Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
    Hey 727, are you flying over at Casa De Aero? Went to college in Prescott at Embry Riddle for 4 years, and loved flying there!
    Hey F106! A fellow Eagle! I went to Riddle too. Graduated in '86. Air Sci. I was flying over at Casa de Aero, but I need to re-up my membership. Thinking of joining the club over in Chino Valley. Paved strip! Niiiice! I live alot closer to Riddle, but that paved strip in Chino......tempting! :Cool:

Leave a comment:

• F106DeltaDart
    replied
    Hey 727, are you flying over at Casa De Aero? Went to college in Prescott at Embry Riddle for 4 years, and loved flying there!

Leave a comment:

• 727 Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

So where are u in AZ? I was thinking an Archer version would be real special - having about 2000 hours instructing at Deer Valley in them. The tapered wing is a great improvement on the full size and the way mine flys as is, it would be a home run on this model.
    Hey F22! I'm up in Prescott. I see you are in Sun City. Must be pretty nice flying wx there right now. 19F degrees here as I type this. Had a little snow today too, but not enough to stick really. Brrrrrr! I instructed mostly in 172's but also Cherokees (180, 140, Arrow). My flight training up through my commercial and instrument was all in the Cherokee Archer, and Arrow for the complex. Still prefer the low-wing to the high-wing. I also hardly ever used flaps for takeoff, and if at all it was only 1 notch.

Pretty cold and windy up here, but hoping for a break in the WX conditions for a maiden flight sometime soon.

All the best!

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied

Name:	3D8BF988-F799-4FB9-8760-119879E5973B.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	177235
    Originally posted by OV10 View Post
    The first pic of the touch down flare is sweet (flaps deployed on tarmac was the indicator for landing versus takeoff ;))
    THANX OV10!

Another picture from the maiden flight, right before take off.
    I never takeoff with full flaps as full size almost never do either - too much drag vs lift, and I prefer scale flying. I’ll pass along the compliment on the picture, and am waiting to see video from same photographer. I should try one click on the flaps as she does take a lot of runway.
    I set it up as per manual, took off with low rates and SAFE mode ON. She trimmed with just a few clicks of down elevator and flew hands off less than 30 seconds after takeoff. Turned it to low rates and turned off SAFE - nothing changed- so gentle to respond...and a minute later went to high rates.
    Now that is more like it. Flew very nice and scale with plenty of response. Finished the flight and landed with SAFE on, had to do a go-around on first attempt but that was the maiden landing you see pictured. Next landing was with partial flaps and no SAFE mode. Lined it up on final and set it to a bit less than 1/4 throttle and it just settles n a nice descent with about 3 clicks of down trim and a slightly nose high attitude. Don’t even need to flare - it just lands on the mains.
    last weekend we had gray skies and the lights were a super addition to have as the sun tried to rise but left the overcast.
    Yeah, she’s a pussycat but a lot of fun. I do prefer the high rates for scale flying. She handles so nice I don’t even use the SAFE mode very much but is nice when I need to swat a bug glance away for a moment fo traffic scan.

Leave a comment:

• OV10
    replied
    The first pic of the touch down flare is sweet (flaps deployed on tarmac was the indicator for landing versus takeoff ;))

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied

Name:	59E1B131-BA63-4BCA-B81D-76316D85BFCF.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	177215Click image for larger version

Name:	E2E7BC01-9BF3-403D-9D9B-67FAC82F3BB2.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	177216Click image for larger version

Name:	7D7822EC-9BB6-419D-A3BE-A906880896B8.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	177217 From my maiden.

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied
    Just got my Cherokee yesterday! My Dad tought me to fly in a Cherokee 180 Archer, so the Cherokee has always had a special place in my heart! This model is absolutely gorgeous, I just wish they made an Archer version, but hey this is close enough. I think I may have Callie do up some graphics for N32258. My old trainer bird who made me a pilot. :)
    So where are u in AZ? I was thinking an Archer version would be real special - having about 2000 hours instructing at Deer Valley in them. The tapered wing is a great improvement on the full size and the way mine flys as is, it would be a home run on this model.

Leave a comment:

• 727 Dude
    replied
    Just got my Cherokee yesterday! My Dad tought me to fly in a Cherokee 180 Archer, so the Cherokee has always had a special place in my heart! This model is absolutely gorgeous, I just wish they made an Archer version, but hey this is close enough. I think I may have Callie do up some graphics for N32258. My old trainer bird who made me a pilot. :)
    Last edited by 727 Dude; Feb 6th, 2019, 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied
    Originally posted by rekit500 View Post
    I got one for the wife to train with today. I have the 1st gen DX7, and I got some (yes and no) answers on whether the rx would work properly with my tx. Well it binded ok, the surfaces go wiggle like they should (I have 2 other a3x planes) . So, 2 things so far-is there any indication when SAFE is activated such as the lights or the lights on the rx, or a beep? I have none. I did the toggle and assigned the 2 pos switch on the right. Or you fly it and find out? haha....The other thing is that my stabilator is mixed to the throttle????? I forget which way it goes but it goes from a little (1/16") up at low throttle, midway 1/2, and down the same amt at high throttle or vice-versa. Any one else got built in mixing like that? I do see a few elevator issues on the ol interweb.
    Sounds like you have SAFE active, turn the switch (SAFE) off and see if it is still mixed. Be sure to line up the elevator with the index mark on fuselage. I also had to adjust the nose wheel to center with the rudder. SAFE will also limit rudder for turning on the ground, I.e. really big turns with SAFE mode ON.

Leave a comment:

• rekit500
    replied
    I got one for the wife to train with today. I have the 1st gen DX7, and I got some (yes and no) answers on whether the rx would work properly with my tx. Well it binded ok, the surfaces go wiggle like they should (I have 2 other a3x planes) . So, 2 things so far-is there any indication when SAFE is activated such as the lights or the lights on the rx, or a beep? I have none. I did the toggle and assigned the 2 pos switch on the right. Or you fly it and find out? haha....The other thing is that my stabilator is mixed to the throttle????? I forget which way it goes but it goes from a little (1/16") up at low throttle, midway 1/2, and down the same amt at high throttle or vice-versa. Any one else got built in mixing like that? I do see a few elevator issues on the ol interweb.

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    I am going to wrap up my Cherokee this week and the weather looks good to at least get some photographs of it outside at the airport. Still not approved for flight ops yet and will probably wait until spring. Of course it has been dead calm while I am at work, but forecasted to be windy with scattered snow showers when I am off for the holiday.

Leave a comment:

• DzlDk
    replied
    i got my front strut pieces in from HH and installed... def coming to the field with me this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    Even after hundreds of flights, I like my boring flights around the field in my Cherokee. I just love the plane and really thinking of getting a second one in the spring. My current one is proving to be too nice to fly with the frequency that I want to fly it. The repaint is fragile and can easily crack if the foam below it is deformed or bumped. If I go with a second one, I will swap out the servos, add the servo saver to the nose gear, and just fly it every chance I get. I won't bother repainting or even attempting the clear coat the natural foam. Nothing but headaches and months of work if I do that again. Best to just fly it and love it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X