• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F22trainer
    replied
    I keep seeing buyers refer to the “flying tail” as an elevon-
    incorrect.
    It is called a ‘stabilator’, according to Piper engineers, with an anti-servo type trim which prevents full scale deflection and moves in the same direction as the primary surface and at a greater rate. A great addition to a scale model!

On a different note,
    Piper is not real happy about the similar looking, use of their Logo without permission either...

Leave a comment:

• F22trainer
    replied
    Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post

I am in the process of painting my replacement Cherokee. I removed as much of the red paint as I could as I found that it doesn't stick very well to the foam. Any paint over it would just lift. Going with 2 light coats of Krylon foam primer, a coat of Rust-Oleum 2X primer, and then the white top coat. Wet sanding as needed to improve the finish. Also swapping out the servos while the plane is being repainted. Next up is getting an order for new graphics into Callie.
    I had great results with Kilz water based primer / sealer.

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
    I just received my Cherokee yesterday.
    love the plane ...except the horrible plain white foam,didnt even put it together removed the decals and started painting the white.
    looks 100 % better.

I know they keep costs down by leaving the foam unpainted I would rather they save the money on labor not applying the decals and paint the foam instead!
    I am in the process of painting my replacement Cherokee. I removed as much of the red paint as I could as I found that it doesn't stick very well to the foam. Any paint over it would just lift. Going with 2 light coats of Krylon foam primer, a coat of Rust-Oleum 2X primer, and then the white top coat. Wet sanding as needed to improve the finish. Also swapping out the servos while the plane is being repainted. Next up is getting an order for new graphics into Callie.

Leave a comment:

• Jhnybgd
    replied
    I just received my Cherokee yesterday.
    love the plane ...except the horrible plain white foam,didnt even put it together removed the decals and started painting the white.
    looks 100 % better.

I know they keep costs down by leaving the foam unpainted I would rather they save the money on labor not applying the decals and paint the foam instead!

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    Thanks Loneflier, looks like I am getting a replacement Cherokee. Horizon completed the accident investigation and concluded the rudder servo stripped. They couldn't determine the cause of the stripped servo as it could have been the accident. Could have been me trying to get the servo the move when I had it on the bench. Either way, they are making it right. I am going to upgrade all the servos to metal gear Emax units and a servo-saver to the front landing gear push-rod. My theory is that shock loading from the front landing gear being inputted into a servo isn't good. I don't think this caused the servo failure as the plane had very few flights on it and the smoothest landings I have ever had. I almost never taxi the plane on the grass, I walk it out and back from the runway. I am positive the failure was a freak event with that servo. It is my first servo in 20 plus planes and 680 flights. Chances were good it would happen eventually. I will feel better with metal gear servos as an extra level of insurance. Will do the same to my Timber and B-17 rudder and elevators. I am so happy Horizon is taking care of me with this. I love the Cherokee!

Leave a comment:

• Loneflier
    replied

No problem, always happy to help. I have had a few landings in which I needed to go around since it just wanted to stay in the air. Hit the throttle, suck up the flaps, and try again. I found the 3300 battery to really help with how floaty the plane feels. My 2200's just never seem to want to let the plane settle in on landing. Sadly, my Cherokee suffered a rudder failure last week and was a total loss. Rudder went to full right deflection shortly after take-off and spiraled into the ground. The wreckage is arriving at Horizon today for evaluation of what is left. Really hurt watching my favorite plane go into the ground. It had a flawless flight earlier the same evening and had to land to make way for an Army Blackhawk doing touch and goes. Did my standard pre-flight control surface checks, added one notch of flaps, took off and started my pattern flight around the field when it crashed.
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your Cherokee. Hopefully, HH will make it right for you. They have always been very fair with me when I had issues.

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    Originally posted by Loneflier View Post

Thanks again for the help on getting the stabilator set. The plane handles wind really well, bounces around some, but I was able to do loops, rolls, and enjoy the flight. Landings will be a breeze in calm winds, just a bit sporting with a 15-20mph wind coming straight down the runway!! I suspect stall speed is less than than, and she just didn't want to come down.
    No problem, always happy to help. I have had a few landings in which I needed to go around since it just wanted to stay in the air. Hit the throttle, suck up the flaps, and try again. I found the 3300 battery to really help with how floaty the plane feels. My 2200's just never seem to want to let the plane settle in on landing. Sadly, my Cherokee suffered a rudder failure last week and was a total loss. Rudder went to full right deflection shortly after take-off and spiraled into the ground. The wreckage is arriving at Horizon today for evaluation of what is left. Really hurt watching my favorite plane go into the ground. It had a flawless flight earlier the same evening and had to land to make way for an Army Blackhawk doing touch and goes. Did my standard pre-flight control surface checks, added one notch of flaps, took off and started my pattern flight around the field when it crashed.

Leave a comment:

• Loneflier
    replied
    Congrats Loneflier on your maiden! She is a wonderful flying aircraft.
    Thanks again for the help on getting the stabilator set. The plane handles wind really well, bounces around some, but I was able to do loops, rolls, and enjoy the flight. Landings will be a breeze in calm winds, just a bit sporting with a 15-20mph wind coming straight down the runway!! I suspect stall speed is less than than, and she just didn't want to come down.

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    Congrats Loneflier on your maiden! She is a wonderful flying aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• Loneflier
    replied
    Flew mine this last weekend. Trim settings were good, no issues with the stabilator thanks to the help getting it set. Remnants of Florence here, winds 10-20 with gusts 25mph, The plane flew well, landings were pretty interesting though. Every time I would get it on the ground, the wind would kick straight down the runway and off we'd go again. Bet I made 5-6 approaches before I got one to stick and stay on the ground. Looking forward to flying it again when the winds are a bit less gusty!

Leave a comment:

• CaptAmerica
    replied
    Few it again this weekend. Windy but it didnt really seem to care.

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    Finally got the two together
    They sure look great together!

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Awesome stuff!

Leave a comment:

• CaptAmerica
    replied
    Finally got the two together

Leave a comment:

• CaptAmerica
    replied
    Flew mine between raindrops today.

Leave a comment:

• Loneflier
    replied
    Thanks BRGT350! Once you said that, I looked closer and can see what you are talking about. I mistook it for part of the panel line details at first. You would think that little detail would be in the instruction manual! I think I will update my manual so that in the future I can reference it if need be!

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    The Cherokee is hanging up and not in a great spot to grab a picture, but if you look closely at the leading edge of the elevator where it is near the fuselage, there should be a small rectangular indent into the foam. It is on the fuselage. The leading edge of the elevator should be aligned to that indent. Once you have it aligned, it will fly great!

Leave a comment:

• Loneflier
    replied

Congrats on the Cherokee! I love the paint scheme and is pretty much how mine will look after this winter. I am doing mine to match my grandfather's 1966 Cherokee 180C.

Piper Cherokee 180C 58J project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Did you have Callie do the graphics for it? She is doing my Archer-Arrow conversion now and will be doing the Cherokee next.

Mine flew great without any trim needed after I got the elevator aligned right. The first flight needed 75% down elevator to keep it level. I brought her in and adjusted it. Next flight was perfect. I haven't had any issues with pitch up with flaps. Biggest issue I have had is landing directly into the wind with full flaps. The Cherokee will sit in ground effect for about 20 feet and then drop down to the runway. Had a few bouncy landings, but fixed that by using more throttle and flying her right to the runway instead of letting her float down for that last foot or so. I am using a 3300 and 2200 batteries with the cg set to 114mm instead of the 120mm. I just love my Cherokee and looking forward to repainting her to match my grandfather's plane. I never saw his Cherokee as he sold it in 1978 for an Arrow, which is what I had my first flight with. The model in the picture above is what I used to play with as a kid. It is amazing the thing still looks as good as it does knowing how much I used to play with it. Thankfully, none of the gear went missing because I used to take them off.

AZflyer, I had 2 rough landings with my Cherokee with one coming down really hard on the nose gear. No damage or issues to report. It was on grass, so not sure if the report of damage was on pavement.
    BRGT350-Just finished the "build" on my new Eflite Cherokee, and I was looking at the elevator position when sitting on the gear. It looks like it has some slight down position to it. Can you provide a close up picture of where your elevator sits in relation to the fuse in the neutral position? I would like to make sure mine is set level before the maiden. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• BRGT350
    replied
    nicely done, CaptAmerica on the graphics! I was going to hold off until this winter to paint mine, but might get started on it this fall so I can still get some flights in before winter sets in.

Leave a comment:

• CaptAmerica
    replied
    Had only one issue with the nose gear, it fell out on the 3rd flight. Glued it back on to the servo arm, no issues since.
    I hand cut all the graphics from a piece of monokote trim. The rest is paint.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X