You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynam SR-22, competitor for E-Flite Cirrus?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dynam SR-22, competitor for E-Flite Cirrus?

    Coming in at $109 can this plane compete with the E-Flite Cirrus?
    Not likely but check out the video and make your own decisions.




  • #2
    Watching the flight video over on Motion RC, if you look close, you can see the wing flexing into a negative dihedral while he's flying inverted. I know the wing should have some give, but is it good to have that much flex?

    Comment


    • #3
      The biggest problem with that much flex is that you can't rely on the flight characteristics. I had an old GWS Estar that flexed like that and the wings collapsed in the middle of a loop. Now that one was my own fault because I hadn't installed the struts that day but this SR-22 doesn't have struts to install. Maybe I'll rig some up, wouldn't look quite "right" but would look better than a pile of crushed foam.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nothing from Dynam is any real competition

        Comment


        • #5
          Dynam is all about giving you the most value for your money, so dollar for dollar it is hard to beat. The eFlite likely has a few more scale features and it definitely will have a better product manual since Dynam manuals are very basic and not geared towards beginners. I still like the Flyzone Corvalis for a low wing civil sport, but I think those have been discontinued for a while now.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would buy the Dynam over the e-flite for a plane jane like that....I've had great fun with Dynam's planes - spitfire - twin beech - cessna - they were all fine. Cheap! but fine.... The quality from e-flite is there - you just have to pull the trigger and buy it..... Dynam's retracts go right in the garbage!

            Comment


            • #7
              One thing we have noticed is that as cheap and poorly thought out as the Dynam planes appear during the build, they fly remarkably better than expected.

              I agree 100% on the retracts though.

              Comment


              • #8
                One of the guys in our club said he's had much better luck with the Dynam retracts after figuring out they need some lubrication and servo trimming. What he commented was that he found the mechanism would stick from the lack of lubrication, and the servos would keep trying to retract or extend them more once they'd reached their stops. He said after doing those things, he's had good luck with them.

                Obviously, YMMV. I'm just passing along what I heard, since, so far, I have no aircraft, Dynam or otherwise, with retracts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                  One of the guys in our club said he's had much better luck with the Dynam retracts after figuring out they need some lubrication and servo trimming. What he commented was that he found the mechanism would stick from the lack of lubrication, and the servos would keep trying to retract or extend them more once they'd reached their stops. He said after doing those things, he's had good luck with them.

                  Obviously, YMMV. I'm just passing along what I heard, since, so far, I have no aircraft, Dynam or otherwise, with retracts.
                  I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think they bound up in the cold weather? I remember the twin beech working in the summer great, but once it started getting cooler- they would lock up!

                  Never tried the lube...Will put some grease on the twin and see if it makes it better!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                    One of the guys in our club said he's had much better luck with the Dynam retracts after figuring out they need some lubrication and servo trimming. What he commented was that he found the mechanism would stick from the lack of lubrication, and the servos would keep trying to retract or extend them more once they'd reached their stops. He said after doing those things, he's had good luck with them.

                    Obviously, YMMV. I'm just passing along what I heard, since, so far, I have no aircraft, Dynam or otherwise, with retracts.
                    Just FYI........The above bolded comment has no relevance with regard to etract operation.
                    The etracts do not operate in the same manner as a servo so adjusting the trim does nothing.
                    The lubrication aspect of your club members observations is the only valid point.
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He said the first time he noticed it, he was out at the flying field, and the only "lube" he had on hand was some liquid soap in his travel trailer (which he uses to haul all his planes to the field). A little soap on the mechanisms, and he had no more problems with them. After that, he said he put a little WD-40 on them.

                      Perhaps someone here with more experience with retract mechanisms will have a good recommend on the best lube.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by OV10 View Post

                        Just FYI........The above bolded comment has no relevance with regard to etract operation.
                        The etracts do not operate in the same manner as a servo so adjusting the trim does nothing.
                        The lubrication aspect of your club members observations is the only valid point.
                        Not sure what adjustment he made, only that he did say the mechanism would try to go farther than it needed, and he had to do some adjustment so it would stop at the right spots. As I said, I have no retracts, so I'm just passing along what I heard. I just assumed it was a servo adjustment.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'll have to try the lubrication option. One thing we have noticed with retracts in the past is that sometimes the strut goes in too far which causes the internal works to not be able to register the end of their movement. This can cause the retract to not know what position it is in which will, in turn, prevent the gear from opening. Found that out with my Flightline P-38; totally my fault when I upgraded the landing gear. Lucky me I figured it out on the bench.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tate View Post
                            I'll have to try the lubrication option. One thing we have noticed with retracts in the past is that sometimes the strut goes in too far which causes the internal works to not be able to register the end of their movement. This can cause the retract to not know what position it is in which will, in turn, prevent the gear from opening. Found that out with my Flightline P-38; totally my fault when I upgraded the landing gear. Lucky me I figured it out on the bench.
                            The overall construction was cheap and loose on my Spits retracts. It was almost like it was binding up sometimes....eFlite retracts were great, although I had one pair where I had to lightly flex the gold pins in the servo connector to make contact. Had to belly land that beautiful mustang on her first flight :Scared:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PilotAndy1994 View Post

                              The overall construction was cheap and loose on my Spits retracts. It was almost like it was binding up sometimes....eFlite retracts were great, although I had one pair where I had to lightly flex the gold pins in the servo connector to make contact. Had to belly land that beautiful mustang on her first flight :Scared:
                              Ooh, that hurts. That big scoop on the bottom loves to catch on everything. Hope she survived alright.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Tate View Post

                                Ooh, that hurts. That big scoop on the bottom loves to catch on everything. Hope she survived alright.
                                Surprisingly she did! After a few months of flying her I went ahead and just kept her as a belly lander after busting that 4 blade prop! Taped up the bottom and all.

                                On the subject of e-Flite planes - they are of surprisingly good quality. The prices have increased over time - like anything else - and I have to really want one now to buy one. I remember I snagged a p-47 through HH for 179.99 - it was olive drab and had retracts, flaps, the works....They later discontinued that model and released a slightly larger model that cost 269.99. I spring for the Corsair - and it was a beaut - strong and durable.

                                The only flaws I have had with all e-Flite planes is the gear or hardware. Sometimes the hardware strips very easy against a screwdriver . The Corsair lost a little pin in the retracts that allows it to properly swivel - and the stearman I have was about to lose the entire gear where it came unglued in the foam!

                                You have to do periodic checks on those planes from e-Flite - i imagine this cirrus would need a few checks in the nose gear - as the Carbon Z I got from HH suffered from a wobbly nose gear after a few landings!

                                Andy

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Cirrus does require tightening of the nose gear but you should be checking all planes every 10 flights or so just to make sure nothing is coming loose.

                                  Comment

                                  Working...
                                  X