You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-flite Draco X 2.0m

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bartje View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that many people are suddenly having buyers remorse or blame it on the hype. Keeping a critical attitude towards your purchases is your sole responsibility, not that of the company selling the product.

    In real life Draco is/was a STOL aircraft, so why would you expect the 'sort of scale' model to be anything else but that? It sort of comes with the quirks of the original plane. That was no aerobat/3D machine either.
    And yes, the model is heavy, so was the original, especially compared to the other STOL aircraft. For the model that means you should be getting a aircraft that handles windy conditions quite alright. Which is one of the reasons I'm getting one, besides everything the original represents and its presence.
    It's almost like complaining that the Spitfire is prone to nose overs. It's a Spitfire, what else did you expect? 😂 Adjust your flying skills accordingly en enjoy it! 😎
    as much as I appreciate the lecture, I am fully aware of the purpose and characteristics of the original, as well as the concept of scale models. because of that, I had moderate expectations for the flight characteristics and it still seemed somewhat disappointing. I was not expecting to have to fly extremely cautiously, ready to react to some kind of unexpected wing drop. I expected it to feel lighter, that's for sure - especially considering it's supposed to be able to fly slowly. I guess I've been spoiled by my flex rv8.

    Like I said, it's still a nice plane and I don't regret the purchase. I just have to adjust my expectations for how to fly it.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post
      Like I said, it's still a nice plane and I don't regret the purchase. I just have to adjust my expectations for how to fly it.
      Well said. I totally agree. I've never said it wasn't a nice plane nor have I ever said I regret the purchase. Not my fault that's the way certain people interpret it.

      Comment


      • I think I may just mow and till a dirt strip on the backside of my property and make it a proper bush plane, rather than fly it at the local club. my boys will probably enjoy that more, anyways.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post
          I think I may just mow and till a dirt strip on the backside of my property and make it a proper bush plane, rather than fly it at the local club. my boys will probably enjoy that more, anyways.
          Neat idea. But don't deprive the guys at the local club. The guys at my clubs just love to watch this thing float by and do "hippo" rolls and they marvel at it as it sits on the ground. Remember that's how Mike Patey crashed his, doing short take offs and landings. That's what he built the thing for. It's fun but doing that flight after flight gets mind numbing. There's so much time between the take off and landing to do other stuff, even if that other stuff isn't what the real plane was designed for.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Neat idea. But don't deprive the guys at the local club. The guys at my clubs just love to watch this thing float by and do "hippo" rolls and they marvel at it as it sits on the ground. Remember that's how Mike Patey crashed his, doing short take offs and landings. That's what he built the thing for. It's fun but doing that flight after flight gets mind numbing. There's so much time between the take off and landing to do other stuff, even if that other stuff isn't what the real plane was designed for.
            I think the big reason I'm surprised by it's performance is because I've never had a foamy (scale or otherwise, even including foamboard stuff) that I couldn't rip around and do some serious acrobatics with. not that they're designed for it, but they all have seemed capable. why do I do it? because flying is fun.

            this plane might have the lowest level flight envelope of any plane I've ever owned, but I hope that's not the case after I get more comfortable with it. It's probably all the drag - this plane has a lot of features that create drag.

            Comment


            • Apologies guys!

              It was not my intention to issue lectures to anybody, to be a wiseacre or to offend anybody.
              Screens, lack of body language and facial expressions sometimes convey another message than intended.

              @ CFreuen20,

              The specs of the Flex RV8 and the Draco are almost equal in terms of weight so it's quite odd that yours is behaving so badly.
              Unexpected wing drops make it sound like you're stalling but with the Draco concept that should be almost a non-event.
              I've seen some reports that the elevator can develop longitudinal play, maybe that's whats disrupting things?





              Comment


              • Originally posted by bartje View Post
                Apologies guys!

                It was not my intention to issue lectures to anybody, to be a wiseacre or to offend anybody.
                Screens, lack of body language and facial expressions sometimes convey another message than intended.

                @ CFreuen20,

                The specs of the Flex RV8 and the Draco are almost equal in terms of weight so it's quite odd that yours is behaving so badly.
                Unexpected wing drops make it sound like you're stalling but with the Draco concept that should be almost a non-event.
                I've seen some reports that the elevator can develop longitudinal play, maybe that's whats disrupting things?




                no worries regarding the lecture - it just seems like any time a person mentions a concern there always has to be someone who points out the same thing. at this point, even novice pilots are aware that different styles of planes will have different flight characteristics, it seems a little presumptuous to be reminded of it as frequently as I have seen it pointed out. moving on.

                the flex RV8 may have similar specs, but it's a 100% different experience, it flies like it is filled with helium and I can 3 point land it with only a few feet of roll. it's a really incredible plane.

                I went into flying the draco with expectations of a similar feeling of weight in the air, and with similar stability at really slow speeds, and so far that isn't the case. I know they are completely different styles of planes, in this case I am only referring to the weightiness and slow speed stability.

                Comment


                • also, I figured out the esc telemetry issue - it was simply me being stupid.

                  I improved the tuning of my gyro and will fly again when weather permits. maybe the flight characteristics will improve with improved assistance.

                  Comment


                  • Reached out to HH customer service. They are still working on fulfilling pre-orders. No ETA when it will be available.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bill_The_RC_Reviewer View Post
                      Reached out to HH customer service. They are still working on fulfilling pre-orders. No ETA when it will be available.
                      I had an electronic "chat" with HH customer service on Draco backorders this morning (6/19). I ordered my Draco March 29th and it went immediately to Back Order, as did most orders afterwards I assume. The last check before today was "shipment expected June 2021". That order explained by the chat today has been pushed back now expected early or mid July. I have no idea if I am in the next in line for back orders to be filled in July. I could still be 500 or more in line for the available plane. Wish HH would be more detailed where one was actually in line or how many planes were expected in a shipment. I realize they are at the mercy of the manufacturing process. Still wondering when to really expect the Draco arrival.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Hoosll View Post

                        I had an electronic "chat" with HH customer service on Draco backorders this morning (6/19). I ordered my Draco March 29th and it went immediately to Back Order, as did most orders afterwards I assume. The last check before today was "shipment expected June 2021". That order explained by the chat today has been pushed back now expected early or mid July. I have no idea if I am in the next in line for back orders to be filled in July. I could still be 500 or more in line for the available plane. Wish HH would be more detailed where one was actually in line or how many planes were expected in a shipment. I realize they are at the mercy of the manufacturing process. Still wondering when to really expect the Draco arrival.
                        I asked my LHS to order one for me on Mar. 18. That's when Horizon opened up their pre-orders. The LHS didn't put the order in till 2 days later and they didn't get any in the first lot. They were put on the second lot and I received mine about 5 weeks later. If you didn't order till Mar. 29, you likely missed the second lot as well and you're waiting for the next shipment, which should be on the same boat as their latest release, the new F-16 and possibly the new Viper. The Horizon rep said something about the ship has reached the port but due to several extenuating circumstances, they can't unload stuff won't come off that ship for another couple of weeks.
                        On the other hand, you should check with some of the hobby shops around you. Some may actually still have stock that they received in the first and second shipment. If you can find one, you can cancel your order from Horizon (if that's where you ordered from) but I've been told that cancellations are a hit and miss. Their online system for both private and hobby shop sales is currently in turmoil. My LHS was told that their F-16's were "shipped" last 2 Fridays ago. When I asked them to check the following Thursday, they said Horizon never shipped anything. It's hard to believe anything Horizon says anymore as far as availability information. It seems their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing and neither is talking to the other.
                        From this point on, I will no longer pre-order anything from Horizon. I've already cancelled the F-16 and I'm still on the fence about the Viper pre-order. Logistics these days has become a nightmare.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          I asked my LHS to order one for me on Mar. 18. That's when Horizon opened up their pre-orders. The LHS didn't put the order in till 2 days later and they didn't get any in the first lot. They were put on the second lot and I received mine about 5 weeks later. If you didn't order till Mar. 29, you likely missed the second lot as well and you're waiting for the next shipment, which should be on the same boat as their latest release, the new F-16 and possibly the new Viper. The Horizon rep said something about the ship has reached the port but due to several extenuating circumstances, they can't unload stuff won't come off that ship for another couple of weeks.
                          On the other hand, you should check with some of the hobby shops around you. Some may actually still have stock that they received in the first and second shipment. If you can find one, you can cancel your order from Horizon (if that's where you ordered from) but I've been told that cancellations are a hit and miss. Their online system for both private and hobby shop sales is currently in turmoil. My LHS was told that their F-16's were "shipped" last 2 Fridays ago. When I asked them to check the following Thursday, they said Horizon never shipped anything. It's hard to believe anything Horizon says anymore as far as availability information. It seems their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing and neither is talking to the other.
                          From this point on, I will no longer pre-order anything from Horizon. I've already cancelled the F-16 and I'm still on the fence about the Viper pre-order. Logistics these days has become a nightmare.
                          I also have a Draco deposit with my LHS and they said which ever Draco arrives first either my direct order with HH or theirs is fine. They even said they would return my deposit if it arrives direct from HH first. Very nice consideration from them. I hope they get one first to help the local guys. I think HH over hyped their Red Wilga - over promised and under delivered for sure on this one. But I still want one....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Hoosll View Post

                            I also have a Draco deposit with my LHS and they said which ever Draco arrives first either my direct order with HH or theirs is fine. They even said they would return my deposit if it arrives direct from HH first. Very nice consideration from them. I hope they get one first to help the local guys. I think HH over hyped their Red Wilga - over promised and under delivered for sure on this one. But I still want one....
                            Don't know where you live, but hobby shops in Canada usually get their new stuff from Horizon about a week later than private sales are shipped out. However, I do understand that their private and hobby shop sales are two different depts. and they may ship out at the same time for US destinations.

                            Comment


                            • Hey Guys I just hopped on this thread because I saw it was somewhat active and I need help. I want to get into RC planes and I have a older trainer that just needs a lighter battery pack the original owner said. I have 2 Electrifly 9.6V 3600mAh batteries with Dean plugs. These are super heavy. Are there two battery packs on the market with dean plugs that would be somewhat equivalent to this power needed? Thanks here’s a image.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Shelton1738 View Post
                                Hey Guys I just hopped on this thread because I saw it was somewhat active and I need help. I want to get into RC planes and I have a older trainer that just needs a lighter battery pack the original owner said. I have 2 Electrifly 9.6V 3600mAh batteries with Dean plugs. These are super heavy. Are there two battery packs on the market with dean plugs that would be somewhat equivalent to this power needed? Thanks here’s a image.
                                For future reference, threads are topic specific and this thread is about the Eflite DRACO, so it's the wrong place to post your question. The forum you would want is the one for batteries:
                                https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...power-supplies
                                If you do post up a new thread, you might provide more information, such as the plane you are planning to use these batteries in.

                                However, I'll touch upon your question here but if I don't answer it satisfactorily, you might start a new thread over in the battery forum.
                                Your picture shows NiMH batteries. You might want to check out a LiPo battery but they come in 2 cell or 3 cell that would approximate that voltage. A 2 cell will fully charge to 8.4V while a 3 cell will fully charge to 12.6V. If you go the LiPo route, you need to see if 8.4V will fly that plane or if 12.6V is too much and may burn something up. Go here to see all kinds of batteries. It'll show you the weight and the connector they can come with.
                                https://www.motionrc.com/collections/batteries

                                Comment


                                • I apologize and thank you so much

                                  Comment

                                  Working...
                                  X