Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aros Good find! I just searched for the Bird of Time and it would appear that this is either no longer listed in the usual websites or "unavailable". The biggest "issue" with this plane when converting to electric is that even with the EP version, you still have to chop off the nose (with all the lead beads epoxied inside). Making the cut perfectly straight can be challenging but not impossible. Then, when you've lost all that weight and after you've put in a "heavy" motor and ESC, it's still tremendously tail heavy and with the battery compartment somewhat limited to how big a battery you can use, you have to find a nice way to add quite a bit of weight to the nose. Mine took many, many ounces of lead and when wrapped with white electrical tape, it looks like it's got a big goiter just behind the prop. I don't even notice it anymore, but it's definitely there. Have fun with your build.

Comment

Ugh, that's probably why it was discontinued so quickly - even by E-flite's standards which is saying something - seems like the design for electric wasn't well thought out. I thought the EP meant the nose was already configured for motor/prop? The one I am buying comes with the prop, spinner, motor and ESC. I assume that means it's just in ARF form and I have to chop off the nose like you mentioned. Not looking forward to THAT. Shoot, I may end up keeping it powerless and use it as a sloper or even go old school and invest in a High Start like the old days when I was just starting out in the hobby. Hmmm...
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I'm pretty sure the EP version still had the nose that needed to be hacked off. But it should be easy enough to check it.

Comment

Good news, the seller wrote:

Hi. I just looked and there are no lead beads inside. The nose is ready to go and has a motor mount installed. There is plenty of room to add weight behind the motor on the inside. You will need to mount the motor and esc. Take a look at the PDF version of the manual for the EP version available from the Great Planes website. I can send you a couple snapshots if you send me your email address.

Here's the manual he sent me. Is this the same you had?

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

No, looks like you have the genuine EP version with the nose already cut off. I can still find little lead beads underneath shelves and furniture in my hobby room from where I had to punch out that lead block. I used a "Gliderdrive" motor in mine and it takes up almost all the space behind the firewall (which I had to make and install). There isn't much room to put weights there. There isn't much room where the battery goes (directly behind the motor) either. And right behind the battery is another bulkhead that goes to where the wings sit on top off. Perhaps the EP version balances different and you won't have to add the kind of weight that mine needed.

Comment

Good to know. These are the photos he sent me today...
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

You got the "real" EP version.

Comment

Yay! I had nightmares envisioning myself with a saw hacking the poor thing to bits, lol.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Flew my BoT this morning. Made a short video just for Aros. Normally, videos of sailplanes are pretty pointless as they are generally just floating around very far away and you can't see it in the video anyway. So, I did a shorter flight a bit closer in. Turn off or lower the volume - my flying buddies are gabbing in the background - flying days are socializing days for most of them.

Comment

What a beauty! Thanks for the video xviper ! Looks like a sail-ers dream.
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

just a thought, but when it comes to cutting off the nose/scribing a radius it is useful to take a drillbit or pin with a short string and a marker or scribing tool and put the in in at the apex of the nose then scribe a radius and just cut to the line. also saves the nose if you want to tape it back on someday for sloping

Comment

Originally posted by Cgoffa View Post
                          just a thought, but when it comes to cutting off the nose/scribing a radius it is useful to take a drillbit or pin with a short string and a marker or scribing tool and put the in in at the apex of the nose then scribe a radius and just cut to the line. also saves the nose if you want to tape it back on someday for sloping
                          I did something like that on my second BoT. The first one was a real hack job but it still worked out OK and it flew pretty good. The second one, I butted the nose up against a vertical surface at 90 degrees and measured back to where I wanted to make the cut. I put a felt pen mark at that point all the way around the nose (rotated the plane) to get all sides. Once I had enough marks to make a near circle, I joined the marks and did the cut with a Dremel cutting wheel all the way around. Then smoothed out the edge of the opening.
                          Since Aros got the genuine EP version, he won't have to go through any of that with his. We likely won't see many more of these, new in the box, so not too many others will have to deal with removing the nose.

Comment

So thankful I am getting the true EP version. Honestly I don't know what I would have done. To say I lack a quality array of tools is an understatement. I have some hobby knives and that's about it for cutting anything.

Dodged a bullet, lol.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I hope nobody minds but I changed the title of the thread to "Bird of Time" instead of "Now Shipping Bird of Time" since that title is now obsolete.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Works for me.

Comment

Man I'm really looking forward to this bird. When I first started out in the hobby I cut my teeth on gliders. My first love growing up. I always fantasized about flying a glider with a huge wingspan. In my early 20's I met up with some folks that flew at a large grass field. Half the field was for gliders/sailplanes, the other half was electric. At the time I just wanted to fly sailplanes. I met a guy who became my mentor. He taught me how to fly using a high start, how to search for thermals...I "specked" many gliders back then thanks to him. So much so I had to have help to bring them down, lol. Fantastic times and this was before the soccer association moved in and took over the field (that's a topic for another day).

I remember his prized bird back then was the Bird of Time. I SO wanted that glider!! The beautiful wing profile, the elegant lines...The soaring authority! Brilliant! So this purchase is a full circle of sorts for me. It's paying homage to my beginnings and a good old friend I have long lost touch with. I feel so fortunate to have found a NIB EP! I can not wait to get her together and in the skies where she belongs.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

You'll have great fun with this and a great adventure. It's growing on me. At first, I didn't think it was a terrific sailplane but comparing to the 3 I have, it's tied for second place with my Radian XL. All 3 are quite enjoyable sailplanes and I rotate my flying through all 3. The looks of the BoT is undeniably the best of all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      The looks of the BoT is undeniably the best of all of them.
                                      You said it. While I love scale sailplanes like the ASW 28 or DG 1000, I can't think of a sailplane with a nicer looking wing and yesteryear presence.

A full scale would be epic!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

She arrived in impeccable condition. I cannot wait to get started!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrival.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	259144
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

It's like Xmas in the middle of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                          X