Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimS, I share your concern about not having an instruction manual in the box (the first model I have had that happen) although the assembly video did a pretty good job of explaining the assembly. Like your plane my elevator and rudder servo lead labels were reversed, and upon assembly and initial motor run (in my hangar) with the spinner on as tight as I could get it with my hand, the prop flew off when I cut the throttle. I was aware of this problem upon reading another review but I find it unacceptable for a quality model. One reviewer suggested using Locktite but I didn't want to use that if possible. Since my TX (DX8) has a "Speed" adjustment under the Servo Setup Function, I moved my throttle Speed from "normal" to "2 secs." This means it slows the servo response time from instantaneous to 2 seconds giving a more gentle slowing of the prop and keeping it attached to the plane. (I do hope Skynetic will address this problem and modify the spinner assembly as necessary.) I hope this helps if your TX has some kind of speed adjustment. Otherwise, it may have to be Locktite.

Also, I had trouble attaching the servo pushrod clips on this model as I am used to larger diameter rods and clips which are easier with my fat fingers. I had to use a pin-nose pliers to get them fully clipped. You will usually feel/hear a snap when they do clip fully in place. With the thin wire pushrods on the Shrike be careful, however, not to bend the rods if you use pliers.

BTW good luck to you and your grandson as you introduce him to the the absolute joy of flying airplanes, whether full scale or RC. I can tell by the look on his face in your photo that he truly is pilot material and should go far in the field of aviation, if he so chooses! Happy landings!

Comment

NAV135
      Thanks for the feedback.. Here's another thing to look out for ..
      I just sent this to the Tech staff in regard to a ticket on a intermittently noisy / choppy erratic prop spin that we thought was due to an ESC issue.. it's not..

I was able to figure it out myself..

You might want to make note of this cause it WILL definitely happen to others I bet..

The problem below with the loud noise and jerky prop spin was not in the ESC or the motor but in the design of the prop adapter ..

the way this adapter works is the spinner is supposed to compress the rear face of the adapter against the front face of the collet on the motor shaft when you grab the rear of the motor housing and manually screw down the spinner as hard as possible.. BUT even with it extremely tight.. the prop itself was still spinning and very choppy since it was slipping internally between the collet and the prop adapter inner surface..

That is until I found a washer that fit over the end of the shaft and rested against the front face of the collet and that added thickness of about 1/16th inch in the washer now allows a tight squeeze between the prop adapter’s cylindrical rear surface and hold the assembly together while under torque…

The prop is no longer spinning freely as the motor shaft turns.. and the ESC PROP and MOTOR are noise free
      Please close this ticket..

Please let Bradley know the ESC Throttle zero threshold level Video he sent me a link to in chat was interesting but had no bearing on my problem.

If you could tell me what Brand and type of ESC and the proper settings for it in addition to BRAKE ON, I’d appreciate that info.
      V/r jimS

Hope it helps others that might have the same noisy/ chattering prop issue later..

Overall I really like this Shrike a LOT.. it's a great trainer.. it's very maneuverable , this when you deploy flaps down it really jumps UP quickly without some ELvator compensation... What I need to do next is set it up for CROW.. and the way the Y cables are designed that's VERY easy to do..
      Regards, JimS
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Jims123 , for your findings and feedback. Let us know how you like your Shrike's flight character after you've programmed your custom crow settings!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hey guys! I will be doing a livestream unboxing with this beautiful RC Glider on my YouTube channel this Wednesday at 6:30PM PST/9:30PM EST! My show is called Hump Day RC with GBLynden and I cannot wait to tear into this box live for everyone!

Comment

Sorry about the link above. I was doing some testing last night and accidentally went live for a few seconds and it broke the link.

This one should work for tonight

Comment

Do you think I can fit a seperate Eagle gyro along with a reciever in one of these? I want to use it as a trainer for friends.

I was able to fit both in a Stinger 64. It was tight but fit.

Comment

I don't have one of those gyros, but given the space inside of it and the battery size flexibility, I don't see why not. Given how this is designed, I am not sure a gyro is needed anyhow.

GB

Comment

This essentially was a question I had prior to buying my Shrike. Getting no feedback about such a configuration, I went ahead & bought the plane. In looking at the actual plane, I could see a problem for me in trying to mount even the combined receiver/gyro (Admiral RX600SP) in the fuselage behind the battery mainly because I'm all thumbs and being able to easily change the Combo setting once it is installed presented another issue, although as simply a trainer you might just stay with one combo, eg. the "gyro on/recovery" mode. So I went with a Spektrum AR620, which avoids an external antenna, and velcroed it in to simply installation; however, there is no gyro feature in this receiver. I would say to take a close look at the space to determine how it might be done with gyro assist. A simple solution might be to cut a hatch in the top of the fuselage in order to access the space and more easily secure the gyro & receiver. Please let us know how it works out.

Comment

the way this adapter works is the spinner is supposed to compress the rear face of the adapter against the front face of the collet on the motor shaft when you grab the rear of the motor housing and manually screw down the spinner as hard as possible.. BUT even with it extremely tight.. the prop itself was still spinning and very choppy since it was slipping internally between the collet and the prop adapter inner surface..

That is until I found a washer that fit over the end of the shaft and rested against the front face of the collet and that added thickness of about 1/16th inch in the washer now allows a tight squeeze between the prop adapter’s cylindrical rear surface and hold the assembly together while under torque…

Clear as mud to me. Could you please break up the run on sentences into several simpler sentences. And the best would be a photo or 2 of your fix.

Comment

Just ordered mine - looking forward to everything except the brake / prop spin-off issues.
                      Does anyone know if the included ESC can be reprogrammed for soft braking instead of the hard brake?

Soft braking "might" take care of the in-flight prop-spinner separation (that, or maybe a prop/spinner design change...)

Comment

I just used a drop of Blue Loctite 242 on the metal-to-metal prop/adapter connections. Luckily, I discovered this "hard-braking-spin-off" problem during workshop bench testing. No problems in the field since adding the threadlocker.

Comment

This video features my new Skynetic Shrike 1450mm Sport Glider Unboxing & Review.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, GB! I agree that the wire-less wing Connectors are a very convenient feature of this Glider. I like how it can break down in seconds to fit back in the box. Although, I normally only remove one wing for transport. That's enough to give me the space I need in the car to transport it alongside other models, such as the upcoming FlightLi--- oops, nevermind.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                              Thanks for sharing, GB! I agree that the wire-less wing Connectors are a very convenient feature of this Glider. I like how it can break down in seconds to fit back in the box. Although, I normally only remove one wing for transport. That's enough to give me the space I need in the car to transport it alongside other models, such as the upcoming FlightLi--- oops, nevermind.

You're welcome and thank you for sharing another Easter Egg

I was able to get out and fly this glider today (I haven't slept yet). It is a great flying plane that I will be flying a lot in the coming months!
                              Enjoy the views everyone

Comment

Lookin' good GB! Hey, I recognize that mountain!
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                  Lookin' good GB! Hey, I recognize that mountain!
                                  When was the last time you were up this way?

Comment

I was up in Fairhaven last year...The family likes to head up there every year or so...Closest I've been to Lynden in years!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Maidened my Shrike this morning. Cloudy but very calm. What an easy flying airplane! After reading other comments I did use Locktite on the spinner and had no problems. Balanced perfectly with an Admiral 2200 3 Cell. I think it would be difficult to find a place to install a stabilized receiver or gyro, but the plane really doesn't need one.

Comment

Just wanted to share a few air to air shots of the Shrike.

Hand Launch!

Dipping and dodging

My user name isn't Spinny for no reason.

Smooooth ​​​​​​​

and just a slow float

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                          I was up in Fairhaven last year...The family likes to head up there every year or so...Closest I've been to Lynden in years!
                                          Dude! One of these times once we are past this health stuff, we need to make getting together happen :D

Killer Gif's Spinny!

Comment

Working...
                                          X