Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite thing about the Shrike is just how easy it is to take apart and transport, so I had to take a couple of photos of just how few pieces you have to deal with to accomplish that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	YT - IMG_5234 - GB.png
Views:	1100
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	248743

Name:	YT - IMG_5220 - GB.png
Views:	1020
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	248744

Comment

Here are some other pics:

Name:	YT - IMG_4664 - GB.png
Views:	939
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	248746

Name:	YT - IMG_4795 - GB.png
Views:	953
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	248747

Comment

Originally posted by GBLynden View Post
        Dude! One of these times once we are past this health stuff, we need to make getting together happen :D
        I'm down!!

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Ok so I just ordered another one cause mine essentially blew up yesterday.. It flew great and was having a ball on a slope .. doing loops and rolls easily as well as cruizin' and gliding all around.. good control and the thrust available is fine for this plane if using a smaller 1500 CC battery as I was.. .. however I have never used the new to me anyway,, butterfly crow braking I had programmed into my Taranis Q-7XS radio.. these are great transmitters but sadly they don't have the L and R sliders on the outer edge you see on the bigger brother and so I put the control on S1 which is a Potentiometer/ knob in the center top left.. It ws very awkward to find it then manage to control the adjustment and the throttle on landing all at the same time .. What happened was I came in fine but got caught in the rotor and had slowed the plane too much so as I was recovering from the stall ,, it went wildly off course and hit a pole out in the parking lot..and ti fell 10 feet onto the asphalt .. the Wings got minor dents but the fuse cracked and the 1st 4 inches of the nose came off completely.. there are two CF spars inside the fuse but neither is glued in so that brittle styrofoam nose simply cracked off.. I saved all the pieces and am re-cluing it now but the spinner woudln't come off since it was badly crunched in and a prop broke off.. as of today 4-15-2020 They won't have new spinners for 4 to 5 weeks so I bought another plane since I do like this Shrike a lot and know it will be worth it having some spare parts..

Comment

Had a chance to get out and fly today with our new Xwave FPV accessories and the Shrike. Took me all of 5 minutes to attach the ZOHD camera. Just punched a little hole for the wire, then cut a flat shelf on the canopy. Used the included 3M double sided tape on the bottom, but then for more stability, I took a flat piece of wood and glued it into the foam behind the camera and used the included velcro strap for the camera. What a fun few flights! I missed FPV and the shrike is a great platform for it.

I usually fly the shrike on a 2200mAh 3s, but went with a 1600mAh to account for the 450mAh 2s JST pack I used for the camera. perfect cg.

Comment

Great idea James! I will be doing some FPV with mine in the coming months.

Comment

When will it be back in stock?

Comment

Just as important - when will spare parts like the spinner be available. I know COVID-19 has had a great impact but it is disappointing to see a new line introduced and different models of the Skynetic line continue to appear with no sign of necessary spares for the Shrike.

Comment

I have found a little pricey solution to the spinner. Aloft Hobbies sells a 45 mm folding prop spinner. It doesn't (as far as I can tell) come with an option for the 4mm collet the Shrike motor needs. However you can buy collets in different sizes separately. It works fine and doesn't loosen in flight.

Comment

Hello everyone, I got me this model to return to the hobby and I have a question regarding the CG. Is it really as the instruction say (red markings) or is it measured from the leading edge of the actual wing (blue markings) ? I tried to follow the instructions but then have to put the battery very far to the front so that it's nearly impossible to fasten it with the velcro that's in the plane. Thanks for any insight by people who have flown the glider alerady.Click image for larger version

Name:	C43DAFC0-FF15-451A-8916-16C0C13A86DE.jpeg
Views:	695
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	266231

Comment

Hi, just got a shrike and checked out the prop de-spin and yes it came right off. So now I'm looking at fitting a 48mm ali spinner (see photo). Do I need the cooling vents as in original spinner?
                        (I know the nuts aren't screwed down yet;..... just in case...)

Comment

Originally posted by ashewan View Post
                          ... Do I need the cooling vents as in original spinner? ...
                          As this is a motor glider, I would say no. And there are other vent holes in the fuse. That said, if you are flying it around wide open throttle, then I would check/feel the motor after one flight and see if its getting hot.

Comment

Thxs ridgerunner, will give it a go once I'm out of lockdown, all rc models clubs are shut in england. Plus only allowed out for exercise not recreation. I would have thought flying an 'exercise', for the mind.
                            We have a place on the south coast, in Swanage, with lots and lots and lots of big open spaces so I'll chuck it up once I can get down there (live on outskirts of London) but we are not allowed to travel at the moment (so I won't be breaking the rules......).
                            The ali spinner is twice weight of original some 60+ gms which has allowed me to take out my C of G weight and move the lipo further back with more under the battery strap.
                            Plus the ali spinner allows me to try out some different props sizes more easily. At the moment the 9x5 (same as original) is giving some 200+W. We'll see.

Comment

Any word on if/when the Shrike will be available again? This is a great plane!

Comment

I received a notice from Motion RC yesterday that the Shrike was in stock (again). I put the notice request in back in Dec 2020.......whew what patience. I ordered mine yesterday and look forward to getting it soon. I use Spektrum RX and TX products. Don't think this will need their AS3X systems with Safe mode so am thinking about their AR620 6Ch Sport receiver. It does not require external antenna wires and has worked well in other planes I have. Will keep an eye out for the ESC wire issues noted in other posts. Glad to see the Shrike is now available.

Comment

Originally posted by Nav135 View Post
                                  I am interested in this plane and would want to use an Admiral RX600SP for gyro stabilization but wonder how easily it would be to install? The un-boxing video mentioned you could use such a gyro but did not go into RX installation except to comment he shoved the RX back into the fuse behind the battery. I don't think he was using a gyro RX(?). I wonder how easily it would be to secure the RX on the floor of the fuse and configure the antennas rather than just having to shove it back. Is there enough maneuvering space to properly secure the gyro RX on a level plane behind the battery or could it go somewhere else under the canopy? Or should I just forget about using a gyro? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                                  I just got my Shrike and I am in the process of adding a Spektrum AR630 (A3SX / Safe RX) There is plenty of room to place a receiver behind a 2200mAh 3S but the tray has cooling (?) holes in the tray behind the battery area. I plan on making and gluing a plywood floor over some of these holes to hold the receiver. It is a very tight fit and not much room to use fingers to place the receiver in and secure it. (double sided tape) May first secure the RX to the plywood plate then slide plate on tray. Being a PNP plane rather than BNF model the setup is a bit of a challenge to set up the AS3X system. Will see..........

Will

Comment

Just got my new Shrike. Lots to love about it but the prop wont stay on. There is no prop nut in the model except the spinner and every time I lower the power the prop comes off.

Comment

When I had my Shrike, I CAREFULLY applied some locktite to the threads of the spinner, which seemed to work. As a more permanent solution I bought a hub with a 3.5mm (I think) collet and used that instead of the supplied spinner.

Comment

Originally posted by GBLynden View Post
                                        My favorite thing about the Shrike is just how easy it is to take apart and transport, so I had to take a couple of photos of just how few pieces you have to deal with to accomplish that:

Click image for larger version  Name:	YT - IMG_5234 - GB.png Views:	449 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	248743

Click image for larger version  Name:	YT - IMG_5220 - GB.png Views:	417 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	248744
                                        I like your airplane model 😁 time tracking software

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosll View Post

I just got my Shrike and I am in the process of adding a Spektrum AR630 (A3SX / Safe RX) There is plenty of room to place a receiver behind a 2200mAh 3S but the tray has cooling (?) holes in the tray behind the battery area. I plan on making and gluing a plywood floor over some of these holes to hold the receiver. It is a very tight fit and not much room to use fingers to place the receiver in and secure it. (double sided tape) May first secure the RX to the plywood plate then slide plate on tray. Being a PNP plane rather than BNF model the setup is a bit of a challenge to set up the AS3X system. Will see..........

Will
                                          Will..... back in July you posted this. I am thinking of getting the Shrike and I also have the AR630 receiver. I'd love to know how you successful you were at getting it installed. Did you follow through with your idea of a separate plywood plate? Any close up pictures of what you did? Thanks a lot!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                          X