X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing problem with Fox 3000mm Sailplane

Has anyone who purchased the Fox 3000mm sailplane experienced a problem with the spar tube not being installed far enough into the wing
    which causes the locking pins to not engage properly when installing the wing into the fuselage. I have this problem with the left wing on mine.
    You can see a slight bulge on the wing root plate. When the trailing edge locking pin is engaged then the leading edge locking pin will not engage
    properly and if the leading edge pin is engaged then the trailing edge pin will not engage properly. This is due to the slightly protruding spar tube
    causing the slight bulge in the wing root plate.

Even when the wings are on, the spar inside has some leeway left/right. I think you should try this .................................. Install the left wing only WITHOUT the spar to see if it will go on fully and have both tabs lock. Then try the right wing only (no spar). This should tell you that at least there is no problem with the wing root mating with the fuse. Since you say you have a problem with the left wing and there is a bulge in the plate, did it fully lock when there was no spar? If it didn't, then I'd say it's due to the bulge. Then you need to do something about that bulge, maybe heat up and massage out or even see if you can get some glue behind it and tape it till it sets.
    If it locked in fine (without spar), it's not the bulge. It may be the spar protruding too far into the wing, but since there is some leeway, I suggest you install the left wing first with the spar on that side a bit short. Once it's locked in, then rotate and push the spar all the way into the wing. Then install the other wing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply xviper. I've tried this and the left wing has the same problem with or without the spar installed. The spar tube in the right wing is 3/16" from the surface of the wing root plate.
      The spar tube in the left wing is not recessed at all and is pushing the root plate out some. You can feel the slight bulge when running your hand on the root plate. I have sent pictures of the two wing end root plates to Horizon with an explanation of the problem but have not received a reply as of yet. This is definitely a manufacturing default. This is why I am asking if anyone else
      has encountered the same problem. Think it would be safe to use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel small enough to fit inside the spar tube and cut off about 1/8" to 3/16" then get some
      CA under the plate and glue it down flat.

Comment

I think I understand what you are saying but just for clarity, which plate is it - the one on the wing or the one on the fuse? See pictures below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	223531Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3510.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	223532

On mine, the spar tube on the fuse are fine. On one side, it is recessed about 1/8" and on the other side, it's recessed about 1/16", so no problems pushing on the plate, even though it looks like the glue has expanded a little. On the wing end, it's the same. One side is slightly more recessed than the other side but neither is impinging on the plate. I can see that if the tube is close to the plate and they used an adhesive that expands a little when drying (like Gorilla glue for example), that expansion can push out on the plate around the hole.
        If you Dremel anything, they may not honor any warranty, assuming they answer you at all. However, if you think you can do it successfully, then proceed. I think it's a pretty straight forward DIY fix but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy View Post
          Has anyone who purchased the Fox 3000mm sailplane experienced a problem with the spar tube not being installed far enough into the wing
          which causes the locking pins to not engage properly when installing the wing into the fuselage. I have this problem with the left wing on mine.
          You can see a slight bulge on the wing root plate. When the trailing edge locking pin is engaged then the leading edge locking pin will not engage
          properly and if the leading edge pin is engaged then the trailing edge pin will not engage properly. This is due to the slightly protruding spar tube
          causing the slight bulge in the wing root plate.
          Have you talked to customer services

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            I think I understand what you are saying but just for clarity, which plate is it - the one on the wing or the one on the fuse? See pictures below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	223531Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3510.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	223532

On mine, the spar tube on the fuse are fine. On one side, it is recessed about 1/8" and on the other side, it's recessed about 1/16", so no problems pushing on the plate, even though it looks like the glue has expanded a little. On the wing end, it's the same. One side is slightly more recessed than the other side but neither is impinging on the plate. I can see that if the tube is close to the plate and they used an adhesive that expands a little when drying (like Gorilla glue for example), that expansion can push out on the plate around the hole.
            If you Dremel anything, they may not honor any warranty, assuming they answer you at all. However, if you think you can do it successfully, then proceed. I think it's a pretty straight forward DIY fix but that's me.
            just push it i n

Comment

Originally posted by Cvg77 View Post

just push it i n
              I don't believe he can. The glue has expanded and is causing a bulge. Once cured, the glue is hard. That bulge cannot compress and the wing root can't go far enough to engage BOTH locking tabs since the bulge is in the middle. One or the other can engage but not both. The glue on mine also expanded but it did not cause a bulge. Perhaps the assembly person held it with pressure long enough for the glue to slightly cure as it expanded into the space under the plate. It's been a while now and I'm sure the matter has been resolved.

Comment

It the hope is filled with junk. Drilling out and start over..!!!

Comment

I think you need to go back and read what's been posted already. It's got nothing to do with "junk" in the hole.

Comment

I have had issues with the locking pins inside the breaking off. FMS has been useless and take 3 weeks to answer a email.

Does anyone have a fix. I don’t trust the plugs to stay connected, if I flew with only one pin lock…..Help please.

Comment

Mine is the same way. Also my ailerons are reversed and no matter how I hook them up it doesn't change. It cost me to wreck it bad and now I've scrapped it without 1 successfull flight. I own 6 other gliders. This one gets 1 star from me just for its initial looks. The plane is junk in all aspects

Comment

Junk junk junk

Comment

Working...
                        X