You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XK A800 motor works but no control surfaces?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XK A800 motor works but no control surfaces?

Hi guys,
    I bought an XK A800 a few weeks ago and I’ve been having a blast with it. It’s been running great and I’ve had no major incidents with it.
    last night I was flying it at a local field and hand launched at full power as normal. It was climbing nicely and I circled once at about 50’ altitude. I started to turn right for another circle when I suddenly realized I had no control of the rudder, elevator and ailerons. I still had control of the motor. I turned the motor off and thankfully it landed softly, touching the right wingtip and spinning gently 180 degrees.
    I tried several times to remove the battery and go through the startup procedure. The light would come on, it would bind and the motor would work but no gyro noise or control surfaces.
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has any advice?
    I appreciate any input!
    John
    Essex, MA

I had a similar problem with my first A800. I would be flying and all control (including motor) would suddenly cut out. The weird thing was that it was intermittent. The signal would seemingly drop out for a few seconds and then reconnect. I tried several different things reasoning it could be weak batteries in the Tx, low batter in the airplane, interference, etc. Unfortunately, I tried one too many times. On that final try my beloved little bird slammed into the chain link fencing of a baseball backstop and bent the motor shaft. Instead of waiting for a replacement motor from China (and still not knowing what was causing the original issue), I found a new A800 locally. Sadly, that one only lasted a few flights before the elevator servo seized up. As much as I adore the A800, after my experiences and reading about the problems of others, I have come to believe that this airplane is just too cheaply made. It pains me to say this as it is such a delight to fly, but I am starting to feel like it may not be worth the effort to keep it in the air. I would love to gut it and put in different electronics, but at that point, I'm thinking why not put the money toward something more reliable like the Shrike or Conscendo.

Sorry I don't have a better response for you. In all honesty, I will likely keep trying to get one of my A800s in flying shape again, and I'd imagine you probably will too. As such, I wish you luck.

Comment

Working...
    X