X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy for white expanded foam with fiberglassing

What EPOXY can I use on expanded foam to fiberglass cover? ..... I'm making large glider wings. I'm afraid that regular Bondo brand fiberglass resin will melt it chemically and heat melt as it cures. I'm thinking I will have to use 3/4 gallon, so something relatively cheap would be great!

I use minwax water based urethane clear for doing that on foam board, won't melt the foam.
    AMA 424553

Comment

khartman3 Welcome to Hobby Squawk! What type of "expanded foam" are you using? EPS (expanded polystyrene) is often sensitive to agents that "eat" the foam. Acetone, fumes, etc. By contrast, EPO (expanded polyolefin) is more resistant to certain chemicals, moreso than EPS. EPO, though doesn't take epoxy and fiberglassing nearly as well as EPS.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Bondo type polyester resin will eat normal white foam/EPS foam.

What you want is some type of epoxy laminating resin to apply fiberglass cloth to a foam wing.

Fiberglast System 2000 has worked well for me, but there are lots of good resins out there.

High performance, lightweight parts call for epoxy resin. Epoxy is a champion for strength properties, dimensional stability, and bonding characteristics. This category includes our popular System 2000, high temp epoxies, surface coats, fairing compounds, and adhesives.

Comment

Working...
        X