X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered my first powered sail plane

I ordered a Volantex 759-3 Phoenix 2400 to fly with my son and his night Radian. I enjoyed flying his, and wanted a glider or my own and got this one.

Nice one too! I like that it has ail's with this one. Funny thing.. my son and I have been talking about picking up a couple of gliders as well. E-Flite's new Conscendo Evolution has been catching my eye lately. Been resistant, as the wife has me spending to install irrigation in the backyard. Gotta keep her happy before jumping on a new plane.
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I understand that, the crescendo was one I thought about, but wanted something with a little size to it as well. Hence the Phoenix. Now I wait for delivery.

Comment

rifleman_btx Congrats. It's a whole new kind of flying experience.

Powered sailplanes are a lot of fun. Some of my club members say, it's like watching paint dry.

It takes more skill than most realize, if it's done right. You're constantly watching for signs given by the aircraft and constantly on the sticks.

My largest is an HK Aether 3.7m full house. It's flown using five flight modes on a DX 9.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aeth6.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	283231Click image for larger version  Name:	Aeth4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	283232Click image for larger version  Name:	Aeth11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	283233Click image for larger version  Name:	Aeth12.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.9 KB ID:	283234

Comment

Yes you will like soaring, I have the Nite Radian and the FMS Fox 3000mm, In the Fox I put an AR1000 so that I can see what the battery voltage it so I can soar as long as I can. the last time I was out with it I sat in a chair. The nite radian I put a switch on the lights so I can change from the ground. Good fun

Ron
          AMA 424553

Comment

Yeah I enjoyed my 40 minute flight with my sons raidian, and also wanted a full house bird this time to really get involved. I'm excited about this

Comment

Radians are very capable sailplanes for the dollar. Oddly, the Radian Pro was the worst of the whole line.

I'm still flying the original PZ Radian from the beginning. I recently added the Night Radian to the hangar. Like RRHandy I installed the aftermarket board to control all light functions from the transmitter. Adds another level to the fun factor.

For long duration flights, the use of a chair is a good idea. Looking up at that angle for long periods can do a number on the ol' neck.

Comment

Absolutely, been there, and it is rough

Comment

Congrats, and looking forward to photos and video!

I've had a lot of fun over the last three years with my Calypso. I need to do a repair to it, as I noticed the motor acting funny, and found the c-clip that holds the shaft in the back of the motor had disappeared. I look forward to getting it airworthy again.

Comment

Heck yeah, I cant wait. Ready to aquire and try some new skills

Comment

Today is the day, it's out for delivery.

Comment

Went together very quickly and smoothly, only thing that sucked was they rolled the decal sheet, so putting those on with out the decals trying to curl up on themselves was a pain in the butt.

Comment

Hope you really enjoy and find it soothing to fly. I have Calypso and it finally found terra firma and nose is now cocked some 2" to the right of center. Don't know how much it can withstand being that far off, I don't want it to furn sharpely to the right chasing me round and round 'cause it will win.

Bought the FMS 2500 90.5 wing lgth and should be ready to fly in a couple of days. Really looking forward to it. The glider is all together different in that I can use power when needed, off, and it's just me, wind, and plane. Just something different about gliding. Love it.

Best of luck. Hope you catch glider fever like me.

Jimmy
                          Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

I just did a couple flights with mine about 45 minutes each today, and you're right, it's really nice to just relax and fly. And I also love the power when I need it to get back up in the air and glide again. It's a very cool plane.

Comment

Good deal glad for you. My blood pressure goes down about 10 to 15 points when I fly. Not worried about over speeding and things coming apart mid air. Like I said, I don't know what it is, but I sure have enjoyed flying the glider this summer.

Yes I've crashed, but all were my faults, except for the wing panels exiting the fuselage after a roll. Now that was something to see float down from above. It took them several seconds to make contact with earth. So I'm looking at a way to "pin" them to the fuselage before maiden.

I'll pin flaps also, as I only have a 4 chnl transmitter.

Enjoy, hope you get lots of free time to fly it.

Jimmy
                              Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                                Nice one too! I like that it has ail's with this one. Funny thing.. my son and I have been talking about picking up a couple of gliders as well. E-Flite's new Conscendo Evolution has been catching my eye lately. Been resistant, as the wife has me spending to install irrigation in the backyard. Gotta keep her happy before jumping on a new plane.
                                Now we all know that that sprinkler system for the back is a hell of a lot more important than you blowing money to buy an r/c plane. I can't believe you would even think about trying to put the sprinkler system in back of a model airplane. You should be ashamaed.

Jimmy
                                Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by skillett View Post

Now we all know that that sprinkler system for the back is a hell of a lot more important than you blowing money to buy an r/c plane. I can't believe you would even think about trying to put the sprinkler system in back of a model airplane. You should be ashamaed.

Jimmy

System is finally done! Just threw down some winter seed the other day. She appears to be pretty happy, but we all know how quickly the wife species can turn on ya! Now I've just gotta creep through the holiday season and see how I fare on the other side. ​​​​​​​
                                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post

System is finally done! Just threw down some winter seed the other day. She appears to be pretty happy, but we all know how quickly the wife species can turn on ya! Now I've just gotta creep through the holiday season and see how I fare on the other side. ​​​​​​​
                                    NOW, DON'T YOU FEEL A LOT BETTER AND NO MORE GUILT, (for rat now). You turkey, you know the wife comes first. R/C airplanes, well, they can wait in wife's book, far down their list as you've found out. Now enjoy the seeds and the sprinkler and you'll have a nice Thanksgiving and kind and non-confrontational way ....................
                                    Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                                    X