Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, the Eagle has gone OOS already. That was fast.

OK, there is sufficient demand for the "Avian Series". Now, where is that 2m Condor Alpha was talking about??????

Comment

When I first came across this model to publish I was like, "Is this for real?" I am such a jet and warbird snob I couldn't see past my bias. But the more I looked at it, the more I was like, "I want one!"

One of my most treasured memories in RC was the time I caught a thermal with a glider and joined a group of bald eagles. It was one of the most thrilling, cool experiences I can remember. They accepted my "bird" as if it was one of them. I can only imagine what THIS model would be like if I was lucky enough to find that same thermal situation again.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

The product page mentions a 1300kv motor. It actually comes with a 950kv motor.

Got the build finished yesterday. We added a battery tray and added a 1/32 ply support for the foam portion of the tail feathers (pics later). We crossed the control rods for the tail to get proper rudder movement using V-tail-A in the Spektrum DX8G2 transmitter.

We are planning to do the maiden today.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
          The product page mentions a 1300kv motor. It actually comes with a 950kv motor.
          I fixed the page. Thanks! Good luck on the maiden!

My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Noticed that the revised instructions are now posted on the product page under the support tab.

We did the maiden +2 flights on the eagle. It's a very nice flying "bird". We set the CG at 60mm and it felt quite good. It certainly looks realistic and presents best when flown "scale".
            The way we set ours up, it will roll and loop with ease.

We replaced the control horns on all surfaces, as the ones that come with the kit fit quite loose on the push rods. We also moved the push rods on the tail surfaces in to the middle position. We tapered the openings for the push rods so they did not rub or bind when exiting the body of the bird.

I use the term we, because this is my wife's aircraft. We often build and set-up new planes together. She's been building and flying for several years now and has pretty good skills at both. I'll maiden and trim for her and she takes it from there.

She is enjoying the eagle quite a bit. In fact, it's in the van for the trip to the field in the morning.

Here are the pics of the battery tray we installed and the 1/32" ply rear tail reinforcement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eagle1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	316375Click image for larger version  Name:	Eagle2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	316376Click image for larger version  Name:	Eagle3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	316377

Comment

This looks like another version of the old "Fly Party" Eagle. I still have mine from 10years ago and fly it at will. No Ailerons, the tail feathers are weak but it floats forever and usually brings out the Redtail Hawks and small birds for attacks nearly every time. https://youtu.be/N5q6Pj8bkgM Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyParty Eagle on FMS Pitts.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	316873

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                Hey guys, our build video will be done early next week. We also built without a manual but it wasn't too daunting. Our video will show you a proper order
                Was a video ever done?

Comment

Originally posted by WillCorsair View Post

Was a video ever done?
                  Nope.

Comment

I got tired of waiting.

For others who are tired of waiting, Banggood has the Dancing Wings E19 Eagle V2, 1430mm at

Only US$69.99. Shop for Dancing Wings Hobby DW E19 Eagle V2 1430mm Wingspan EPP DIY RC Airplane Fixed Wing KIT or PNP Slow Flyer Trainer for Beginners on Banggood.com. Find the best deals and discounts on RC airplanes.

It's the exact same airplane kit as Motion's "Skynetic," with the same instructions, photos, etc. As of this date it's available for $107.99, plus $17.69 shipping. I ordered mine from China on January 5, 2022, and it was here on January 18, 2022. There was a several-day delay by the US Postal Service, probably because of the weather.

The kit is called PNP, but it's still just a kit but with motor, prop, ESC, and four servos. They have a cheaper version that's just the airframe.

The kit I received came with a no-name 2216-920Kv motor (which included soldered-on bullet connectors, mounting hardware, prop adapters, prop saver hardware, and O-ring prop savers), no-name 9g servos, a no-name 9x5 prop, and an E-Power 20A ESC with XT60 connector. This version also has ailerons.

I doubt that Motion will see fit to offer the airplane anytime soon and, even if they do, it likely won't retail for $99 as before.

Enjoy!

Comment

Here's how I established the 90-degree angle for the V-tail. Using a digital angle finder, carefully measuring both sides to make sure they were equal, using a heavy battery to hold the fuse in place, and then using four 1-2-3 blocks to support and lock in the glue setup, this turned out well.

Comment

The airplane flew like a homesick angel on the maiden. Using the recommended 60mm CG (60mm from leading edge) and 1800mAh battery, I got 15 minutes on my first flight with 45% battery remaining. And, I used no trim adjustments at all.

For the motor thrust offset, I just used #4 flat washers from the hardware store. Looking at the motor from the front, I used two washers on the top right and one on the top left, and that was perfect for thrust offsets recommended. No washers on lower section. I just did what a long-time builder friend had done on his, and it was spot on.

Rubber bands are 15cm. I ordered them from Banggood since I couldn't find them anywhere in the US--not on Motion, not Amazon, just....nowhere. They're a big thicker and wider than the OEM version, but that also means they do a bit better job of securing the wing.

I also used shrink tubing to secure the carbon fiber control rods to control horns; cut some HDPE plastic and glued it on the V-tail control horns to firm them up a bit (pretty flimsy otherwise), and I used #2 NyLock nuts on the servo connections to make sure they were secure.

Build time was several hours, mainly because of the work required to make sure things fit well and...wait for it...for the glue to dry properly. The one-hour build time in the description is a joke.

I really like this little guy. Flies great.

Comment

I just received my Eagle and I see that the ESC has an extra wire (yellow) with a separate single pole female plug on the receiver lead. What is that for?

Comment

Originally posted by jrf View Post
                            I just received my Eagle and I see that the ESC has an extra wire (yellow) with a separate single pole female plug on the receiver lead. What is that for?
                            I'm not positive about what that single wire lead is for but for this plane, I would ignore it and don't plug it into anything. Just leave it hanging. It's likely an ESC that they chosen for this and several other applications. A single wire lead like this coming out of the ESC is sometimes used for reverse or for some other specific programming, none of which is applicable to this particular model.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will ignore it. By the way, for anyone putting one of these together. You have the option of locking the ailerons and flying it V-tail only. (Using the Elevon setting in a Spectrum on other transmitter.) Using the ailerons it flies like an airplane, and not a very good airplane. But using the V-tail only, it flies like a full scale bird. Slow cruising and sharp turns, still with excellent control. After all, a real Eagle uses its tail for maneuvering. Use the other two servos for spares.

Comment

My earlier version of this eagle didn't even have ailerons. Ailerons make it so that it will do rolls more easily but with those angled wingtips (severe dyhedral), rolls are difficult but can be done with the ailerons. Without ailerons, it will not be able to do a roll. To fly like a bird, you have to simply use the controls very smoothly and with small deflections, with or without ailerons. The original eagles without ailerons flew perfectly fine, but enough people just had to have ailerons for their own reasons, that ailerons become a possibility to add.
                                I've had 2 of these things with only the V-tail. I've never had the desire or need for ailerons.
                                Balance (CG) is critical. Too tail heavy and it's like a roller coaster. Too nose heavy and it's numb as novacain and doesn't float so good.

Comment

I have the old DW 1200m version to which I added ailerons to assist turning so it is good to see the Skynetic version with these added. The angle of the tail feathers is critical for good rudder and elevator control and the hinges need to be well worked before flight to avoid flexing the V tail when operating the rudder. I found this out when I set mine too flat and ended up adding a vertical rudder in a tail feather shape and mixed some colours to match applied with a small brush rolled and dragged to just about match. Set the V tail too flat and rudder control is useless ! I also extended and beefed up the nose which on the DW version was very weak. I repainted the front and added an egg drop hatch to mine so that I could drop Easter Eggs on a target at our Easter fun day. Extending the nose, adding new top battery hatch to the head and using a 1000mah 3 s enabled me to add the egg drop servo, ping pong ball type egg and trap door and maintain the cg without adding too much weight.. Flies best slow and graceful and it does attract the attention of local wildlife. It will loop and roll now but I find rudder is best for turning . Good entertainment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Birdplane 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	288.4 KB ID:	385001

Click image for larger version  Name:	Birdplane 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.4 KB ID:	385002

Comment

Working...
                                  X