Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to mention that the 40A has the UBEC so the switching runs much cooler than the linear BEC so mine barely got warm and I ran mine once three batteries straight with the only down time to change the battery.

Comment

Hi all,
      let me give a short introduction so you get a clue about my interest and idea why I'm planning to get this RC-Wing and where my hopefully not too stupid questions are coming from.

My name is Andy and I'm a falconer with home base in Germany.
      My intention is to doe fitness training for my falcon by dragging a (very light) lure behind an RC-Plane.

In general this is nothing new or special in the falconry world and there are already other wings existing and being used in different countries.
      Last season I was training with a DJI Phantom 3 Drone but unfortunately the RC won't bind anymore with the Drone and support for older Drones is less to none from DJI.
      Also a drone is not very agile if it comes to flying around so I learned from others they are using RC-Wings instead with great results on fitness for the bird.
      There is a flying wing out there called "Berghwing" that does exactly what is needed only with a pricetag I could'nt justify nor afford these days. So, from another falconer I was pointed towards the Neptune. Unfortunately I have next to none experience in building an RC-Plane (only flown out-of-the-box-toy-planes with my son so far) and there is no one near me to support nor is there a shop where I could walk in to buy this plane and molester the sales staff on how to put things together..
      So my Idea is to set-up the Neptune with an "ZOHD Kopilot Autopilot" in order to make the plane cruise/loiter once in the air, so I can take care of getting the Falcon ready and up in the air. Now, I have no idea what kind of (ideally small, fool-proof and inexpesive) TX and RX I should get and what else I nee to get this thing running.

Sorry for the long post and looking forward for ANY useful hints, suggestions and ideas! :-)

Best regards,
      Andy

Comment

Can someone confirm the blade count on the EDF please.
        5 blades would just be way to noisy.

Comment

Very clear on Motions site, the spare parts says it and you can see it in the videos on the Motion site for the Neptune. The couple at my field have 5b's.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            Very clear on Motions site, the spare parts says it and you can see it in the videos on the Motion site for the Neptune. The couple at my field have 5b's.
            Thanks for that, just wanted to confirm. I am going to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Flyer View Post

Thanks for that, just wanted to confirm. I am going to pass.
              Don't let that stop you. They are actually nice sounding. None of the old leaf blower sound. Maybe it's a better blade design or higher kv.

They are pretty quiet. Outstanding flyers with a wide flight envelope.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

Don't let that stop you. They are actually nice sounding. None of the old leaf blower sound. Maybe it's a better blade design or higher kv.

They are pretty quiet. Outstanding flyers with a wide flight envelope.
                After watching the flight video again I decided to go for it. I have a spare 64mm fan unit if needed!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Flyer View Post
                  Can someone confirm the blade count on the EDF please.
                  5 blades would just be way to noisy.
                  Get the Motion RC 12 blade unit (12 blade 4S 3300 KV) which will take 4S and up the ESC to 55 or 60 amps. Fast and quiet !

Comment

Originally posted by Louierc View Post

Get the Motion RC 12 blade unit (12 blade 4S 3300 KV) which will take 4S and up the ESC to 55 or 60 amps. Fast and quiet !
                    The model should arrive tomorrow. I have a spare 64mm EDF (3S) so I will do some power comparisons before flight.

Photo`s to follow tomorrow.

Comment

Well I was a bit slow with the picture`s.

Like others have said the finish is not fantastic, but this wing is not going to stay pristine for long!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0238[1].jpg
Views:	403
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	360639

It also came with a 40Amp ESC.

Name:	DSCF0239[1].jpg
Views:	385
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	360640

The battery bay is small but with a few scalpel slices there will be enough.

Name:	DSCF0244[1].jpg
Views:	369
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	360641
                      Just need some nice weather to test it.

Comment

Going to fly it stock to start with.

Name:	DSCF0245[1].jpg
Views:	383
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	360646

Comment

I was thinking about putting a thin coat of Shoe Goo on the bottom of the fuse of my brand-new Neptune. Has anyone does this before? If so, did it protect the bottom adequately?

Comment

I notice that the 40amp ESC that comes with my new Neptune EDF is rated for 3s or 4s. I wonder if the stock motor can handle 4s too? I like my Neptune quite well, but it would be nice to get a little more juice out of it. Has anyone tried running the new one stock on 4s?

Comment

Originally posted by BikeMike View Post
                              I was thinking about putting a thin coat of Shoe Goo on the bottom of the fuse of my brand-new Neptune. Has anyone does this before? If so, did it protect the bottom adequately?
                              I would look at some sort of tough tape, like fiber reinforced packing tape.

Comment

Several club members have changed the fan to 11 blade with 4S2200. I had to change the ESC to 55 Amps and provide an inlet scoop and bigger exit vent hole for better cooling. Still gets hot. It is now fast and stealthy. Sliding takeoff, no hand launch needed.

Comment

Several club members have changed the fan to 11 blade with 4S2200. I had to change the ESC to 55 Amps and provide an inlet scoop and bigger exit vent hole for better cooling. Still gets hot. It is now fast and stealthy. Sliding takeoff, no hand launch needed.
                                  Thank you Louie! Did adding a heavier EDF and ESC affect how the plane floats and glides? I love how this thing just floats. All my other EDF's have much higher wing loading and don't float like the Neptune does. Wouldn't want to lose that.

Comment

No difference at all, low wing loading unchanged performance.

My history with the Neptune (who names a plane after a submarine ??)

Number 1 - flew it a few times and decided it needed to go faster. stuck a 4S pack in it and took it out a few times until the ESC burned up. Changed the ESC to 55 Amps. Had to add air scoop to cool the bigger ESC. Then installed an 11 blade fan from Motion RC. All was good with this setup until one day I was taxiing it back to the pits - going too fast, it got up on a cushion of a couple of inches of air and ran into a fence post, tearing up the front end and wing.

Number 1-1/2 - bought a new foam wing set - which came bare (no decals). I rebuilt the center section and replaced the wings. This setup worked well, except when I went very fast and pulled a hard pylon turn I noticed I could flutter the wing. This flew well until I lost control in a hard pull because the servos couldn't handle the flutter and it went straight in. I figured this was because the wing did not have the decals applied, which add significant stiffness to the foam.

Number 2 - I ordered a new Neptune and started on the center section. Unfortunately, the new Neptune did NOT have any decals attached but a sheet was included for another (wrong) model. After a go around with Motion RC, I now have the correct sheet of decals and need to start building again.
                                    Last edited by Louierc; Jan 11, 2023, 07:56 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

No difference at all, low wing loading unchanged performance.

My history with the Neptune (who .... another (wrong) model. After a go around with Motion RC, I now have the correct sheet of decals and need to start building again.
                                      Thanks, Louie! Wow, that's quite a story! Is it worth the effort and expense to upgrade it to 4s? I love mine but it could use a little more power.

Is this the motor/fan you upgraded to? Freewing 64mm 12-Blade EDF 4S Power System w/ 2836-3300Kv Motor [E7204] Motion RC

Comment

Yes, that is the fan assembly, and YES, it is worth the upgrade, it is a simple bolt-in change to install the new fan assembly. I already had the ESC.

Comment

Just ordered it. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                                          X