X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who could build me a custom model?

Hi everyone! Total newbie on the site here, so please be kind!

I'd like to get a delta wing built for me - something of a broadly similar shape to Niels Herbrich's record breaking plane - but built to my own spec, and not such high performance.

While I can design a plane, I haven't the skills to actually build one for myself, so I'd really prefer someone with real experience to do it for me.

Who would you guys recommend I speak with?

Thanks for your help!

Ross.

Hi Ross, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Do you have a budget in mind? That may help those perusing this thread that may have the inclination and skill to help you out. Good luck!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
      Hi Ross, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Do you have a budget in mind? That may help those perusing this thread that may have the inclination and skill to help you out. Good luck!
      Thanks for the welcome!

I've no idea how much these things go for as custom builds. I know a guy who has since passed away, who used to make balsa Spitfire and P38's for people, and he charged about $5-600 each - but that was a decade ago. I've no idea what the current costs look like for a custom design job. I do know that the turbine will be around $2K, on it's own, an ArduPilot control setup with a few frills will probably cost another $4-500, so maybe something in the $1K range to do the build and integration work? I don't need painting, that bit I can handle ;)

BTW, as an Admin, if this request is in the wrong section (quite likely!) please feel free to move it :)

Ross.

Comment

Well since it is about a wing I think it can stay in this forum.

Although it may not hurt to add it to the classifieds forum as well.
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

BTW, here's an image of my current design concept as it stands today.

It's 1.6m long, 1.4m wide and that's an SW160 turbine, just for visual purposes - but that's the sort of power it'll probably need.

The only controls are just two ailerons and the throttle - no rudders, no landing gear. There will be a camera installed, so there will be an outgoing vid signal.

My design objective isn't ultimate speed, but I want to be able to lift a 5kg (11lb) payload inside the fuselage, and with large enough batteries and tanks I'd like to be able to get her to stay in the air for an hour or more - though obviously not with the throttle maxed ;)

Ross.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very aerodynamic design. Shouldn't be a problem at all for her to scoot around and do what you want her to do. Now we just need to find you someone to build it for you.
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Reminds me of my Connie... Built and flew her about 20 years ago glow and then converted to electric. Long since retired... Click image for larger version

Name:	Connie.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	343788

Comment

Evan D My old man was involved in designing Concorde. The USAF should have bought a few ;) They would have made for a great reconnaissance aircraft, a fast SST or an awesome Air Force One ;)

Aros If I don't get a response in this part of the forum, I'll take your advice and try the classifieds section.

Ross.

Comment

You might have better luck finding someone who could 3D print it for you. Years ago, I suggested to a guy in San Diego to make "Dumbo", the flying elephant. He took up the challenge and did it. I then asked if he'd sell it. The price was $1000.00US NOT shipped. It was made out of a couple of beer coolers. Today, it would be likely double that. Something like yours isn't going to be cheap. No "one off" is going to be cheap by a "build for hire".

Comment

xviper Do you mean print spars and such, then use one of the heat applied films? I can 3D print small bits here at home, but the scale of this is way beyond my poor little Anycubic Photon printer.

As for price, I'm just so inexperienced with this and I don't want to spend money foolishly. I definitely want this though. If someone here can do it for what members of the group think is a "fair" price, I'll go for it. It's why I'm posting the request here, because you guys can offer great advice based on your own experiences and hopefully steer me to a quality builder who won't rip me off.

Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by RBTKraisee View Post
                      xviper Do you mean print spars and such, then use one of the heat applied films? I can 3D print small bits here at home, but the scale of this is way beyond my poor little Anycubic Photon printer.

As for price, I'm just so inexperienced with this and I don't want to spend money foolishly. I definitely want this though. If someone here can do it for what members of the group think is a "fair" price, I'll go for it. It's why I'm posting the request here, because you guys can offer great advice based on your own experiences and hopefully steer me to a quality builder who won't rip me off.

Ross.
                      No, I mean print the whole thing. I've seen complete 3D printed Spitfires and other planes, large ones at that. There's a guy in Europe who has been 3D printing a large Harrier lately. He printed an SU-X which he priced in the $3000.00 range but his planes are complicated. One like yours looks fairly simple, even in the size you are hoping for, would be cheaper than making one from fiberglass, which requires forms and a "process". Best option for this would be to find someone in your area, so you don't need it shipped afterwards. Check some of your flying clubs or Kijiji for such services.

Comment

xviper I've been taking a look at my design and my little printer only has a 115 x 65 x 155mm build area so it would need to print this as ~96 separate parts! I can probably put 3 or 4 parts on each print, but at over 12 hours for a full height print, it's still going take quite a while.

It *might* be a feasible path forward, but I'm not confident, so I am still on the hunt for an experienced builder.

To that end I've taken your other advice and reached out to my local group; "Florida Jets" near Orlando, so maybe they can help.

Ross.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X