Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader Thread

IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP TODAY!

Alpha's note: In recent years, we've really pushed the envelope with scale EDF jets in the 80mm and 90mm sizes, yet all the while we've continued to receive requests for new 64mm size jets. Recognizing that not all our customer family wants to spend $500+ on a big jet and big batteries, it's no surprise that our 64mm park jets' popularity remains strong as ever. As a love letter to all of you who want a parkscale jet that costs less than a big jet's battery, here for your consideration...

PROJECT KENNEDY:
    Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader

Click image for larger version  Name:	1_1024x1024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	101472

The F-8 Crusader is revered as "The Last Gunfighter" because it was the final American fighter designed with guns as its principal armament. First flying in 1955 before playing a pivotal reconnaissance role in the Cuban Missile Crisis and serving with distinction in Vietnam, over 1,200 aircraft were built across many different variants. Revered as a "MiG Master" for its speed and lethality with both its guns and Sidewinder missiles, the F-8 Crusader earned a 19:3 kill ratio in air combat during the Vietnam conflict and went on to faithfully serve the US Navy and Marine Corps for three decades, even serving as a testbed platform with NASA to spearhead innovations that influence modern aircraft design to this day.

Freewing and Motion RC are proud to present the world's first foam PNP F-8 Crusader! While larger and more expensive aircraft are fun, too, we haven't forgotten our park flying friends! Continuing the popularity of our Freewing Stinger 64, F9F Panther, and F-22 Raptor, the F-8 Crusader reintroduces our 64mm "Park Jet" series to pilots seeking standoff scale appearance of rarely modeled aircraft in an affordable and easy to own package.

Powered by an efficient 64mm 5 blade EDF fan unit, 30A ESC and 2627-4500kv brushless outrunner motor, the Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader reaches a top speed of 110kph/68mph on an inexpensive 3s 1000mAh-2200mAh lipo battery with XT60 connector. While designed with simplified flight control surfaces and intended for hand launches and belly landing on grass runways, an optional landing gear set is sold separately for steerable operation on paved runways.

The Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader is optimized to be an ideal first hand launch EDF, for novice pilots wanting to learn how an EDF jet handles versus a propeller driven model aircraft of a similar size. The Crusader's high wing and ample thrust give the model good stability, even at low speeds. Assembly is straightforward, and using only two servos minimizes weight, complexity, and cost. The F-8 Crusader is configured to be flown using a radio that has Elevon mixing, as each side's aileron and elevator surface are connected together. The model's low wing loading and manageable slow speed handling in the landing pattern negated the need for a heavy and costly variable incidence wing. The battery bay can also accommodate a small gyro for additional stabilization.

Being optimized for low cost doesn't mean this Crusader lacks in scale appearance. Tired of generic looking mini EDF trainers? We believe even new pilots to the RC Flying hobby still appreciate the scale factor and historical pedigree of a tried and true warfighter, and the Crusader delivers top marks in its class. An accurate livery depicting Fighter Squadron VF-162, "The Hunters", USS Oriskany 1968, is factory applied with low sheen waterslide decals, and the overall dimension of the model is true to scale, down to the asymmetric fuselage blisters, iconic gun ports, and silver painted leading edges. The livery we selected honors the aircraft flown by Commander Richard M. Bellinger, in which he was the first US Naval aviator to shoot down a MiG-21.

Earn your wings with this low cost and high value EDF jet, the Freewing F-8 Crusader! These also stuff nicely into a stocking...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_9707.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	101469

Product Page:
    https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp

Flight Review Video:
    Ryan and Mike are here with the brand new Freewing F-8 Crusader! They take it for 2 flights and go over all the spec. Find the product with the link here: ht...

Build Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06v...ature=youtu.be
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Reserved for Photos
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	2486
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	101524

Name:	_MG_9903.jpg
Views:	2575
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	101525
    Attached Files

Comment

Reserved for Third Party Reviewer Video

Comment

bummer..saw the post on FB and got excited...then I saw 64mm ..and disappoint set in
        www.TSHobbies.com
        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Ha, as a global provider we have to make 'something for everyone, my friend. ;) A big, complex, pricey F-8 wasn't in the cards the first time around.

Comment

Trigger pulled.....GET SOME!!!! Love the Crusader!!! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              Ha, as a global provider we have to make 'something for everyone, my friend. ;) A big, complex, pricey F-8 wasn't in the cards the first time around.
              I too prefer something larger, but that's just me. Could this mean something bigger might be in the offering in the future? With a working wing angle adjustment? Pretty please? :)
              Pat

Comment

Ordered!
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                  Ordered!
                  I guess I need to come to Tennessee for some Crusader formation flying! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                    Nice Alpha..........But what about the other project? Been real quite about Project Tennyson.........did it get retracted from the schedule of projects?
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	101485Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	101486Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	101487Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	101488 Photos shot Sunday at the Castle Air Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                        I too prefer something larger, but that's just me. Could this mean something bigger might be in the offering in the future? With a working wing angle adjustment? Pretty please? :)
                        Looks like a great model for the EDF beginner, nice work Alpha! I also will be holding out for the bigger birds. An F-8 would be a cool one to see in the super scale series.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Nice Alpha..........But what about the other project? Been real quite about Project Tennyson.........did it get retracted from the schedule of projects?
                          Not to worry, my friend, Project Tennyson50 is very much alive. As I had mentioned in that Guessing thread, the two Project names I gave (Project Virtue and Project Tennyson50) weren't necessarily sequential, they were just two of the [many] Projects we're working on. "Something for everyone" is an evolving phrase. Already this year from Freewing and FlightLineRC we've had a big twin 80mm jet, an 80mm sport jet, a 70mm scale/sport jet, a 70mm scale jet repaint, a 64mm parkjet, a big twin warbird, a big single engine warbird... and the next project will be a turbine powered RC 1/4 scale hovercraft. With lasers. And a boombox.

Comment

I'm thinking this and a 65A ESC on a 4S 2200...
                            TiredIron Aviation
                            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I'm thinking I need video of this asap :Cool:

Comment

I am thinking I already have that in the EDF bin!! Now, if they will only last until I can get mine next Friday!!!! Hmmmm, I may need two. I do have (4) 3S 2200's sitting around that really need a plane. The struggle is real!!!!

Comment

I'm usually not interested in 64mm EDF's but this one is neat, I'll be getting one.

Comment

Did this with the Pather and added landing gear !

Comment

This would be a good one to get for a park flyer that's for sure.

Comment

This could very well be my first EDF. At $99 it's not much to invest if I find out I really am a prop only guy. Nice job guys!
                                        I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                                        ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

Working...
                                        X