X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Report:
    I put my F-18 up for 2 flights first to loosen my thumbs up. We had 8mph wind straight down the runway. On the takeoff roll I hit a small bump in the runway and the plane bounced into the air and at the same time the right drop tank decided it wanted to stay on the runway. To say the least I was pretty much screwed and it was on from there. I was able to recover and gain some altitude but the jet did not want to turn and kept trying to roll over on it's back. As I got it turned back downwind I turned on the unproven HobbyEagle A3 Pro guyo and that helped a little to stabilize the plane. After making 5-6 saves I was able to make a fast landing approach and put the plane down in one piece.

After cleaning out my shorts and taking a break I removed the other tank and put a 2nd flight on. The wind had increased to 13mph and was gusting and on top of that it started to sprinkle. The 2nd flight went pretty good. I can't wait for next weekend to hopefully get it back out and get it dialed in.

Here is a video of the first flight. I will work on the video of the 2nd flight and upload it later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
      Maiden Report: After cleaning out my shorts...I can't wait for next weekend to...get it dialed in.
      WN, Your debrief sounds like SOP. Congrats, Sir. Best as always, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	279882
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• "Here is a video of the first flight. " Well saved W.. Generally mine will lift off as nice as ninepence but I've had that sort of fright myself when it wanted to go vertical. I thought it could have been kicking up on the rough ground..... post flight analysis has to wait.......the pants take priority.

Comment

• There is a little dip in the runway there and I hit it which sent the plane into the air and knocked the tank off. Still can’t believe I saved it.
          Here is a video of the 2nd flight. Much better. The winds had picked up and gave me fits when I turned cross wind.

Comment

• I need help, please.

I connected all the servos to the main board per the wiring diagram in the manual and bound the receiver to my DX 18. When i turn my Rx "on" and than plug the 6S 5000 mAh Lipo in the airplane, I get a beeping sound that stays after the Rx stabilized. All controls work except for the motor. It makes a beeping sound and the fan rocks back and forth.

Does anyone know what is the problem? Thanks for any help offered.

Josh

Comment

• Calibrate your ESC.

Comment

• Originally posted by n99jh1 View Post
                I need help, please.

I connected all the servos to the main board per the wiring diagram in the manual and bound the receiver to my DX 18. When i turn my Rx "on" and than plug the 6S 5000 mAh Lipo in the airplane, I get a beeping sound that stays after the Rx stabilized. All controls work except for the motor. It makes a beeping sound and the fan rocks back and forth.

Does anyone know what is the problem? Thanks for any help offered.

Josh
                Try reversing the throttle channel on the transmitter. That should solve the problem. This was what MRC help chat told me, and it worked!

Then If that works...calibrate your ESC, for sure.

Also, consider beefing up the elevator push rod and also search this forum on the word “ferrite” and read those posts. Make sure the elevator servo is secure!!!!

I lost #1 bird twice (First Crash was repairable) due to these things. Bird # 2 is good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	8D423616-0402-4DCA-BBD9-6A73FDC7B83A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	279964
                -GG

Comment

• Thanks Evan and GliderGuy.

I calibrated (armed) the ESC and it works as it should now.

Another question:

Ultimately, I plan to convert my F-4 to the long nose F-4E. I know that the RCGEEK website offers a printed, full conversion package. Has anyone here performed such a conversion?

Thanks

Josh

Comment

• RCjetdude did. I did a Blue Angel scheme with needed the bulge under the nose removed but kept the stock length.

Comment

• Originally posted by n99jh1 View Post
                      Thanks Evan and GliderGuy.

I calibrated (armed) the ESC and it works as it should now.

Another question:

Ultimately, I plan to convert my F-4 to the long nose F-4E. I know that the RCGEEK website offers a printed, full conversion package. Has anyone here performed such a conversion?

Thanks

Josh
                      Just wanting to make sure about the use of the term "armed". Can you go through the process you used to calibrate the ESC for our review? Thanks.

-GG

Comment

• Yes, sure.

1. Turn Tx "On".

2. Move throttle stick all the way up.

3. Plug the battery to the ESC. There will be 2 beeps.

4. Move the throttle all the way down.

The system will reset itself - the ESC learned the UP and DOWN limits of the throttle stick.

The fan will now respond to throttle command.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          RCjetdude did. I did a Blue Angel scheme with needed the bulge under the nose removed but kept the stock length.
                          Thanks Evan

I found RCjetdude thread - pretty much answered all my questions.

Comment

• Awesome, post pics when you get it done please.

Comment

• n99jh1 - Yes sir! Thanks.

Comment

• The FW T-45 Goshawk has this Fan / Motor:

Freewing 90mm 12-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 3748-1650kV Motor
                                Freewing 130 amp esc with BEC

Both the F-4 and T-45 are similar in size and weight but I think that the T-45 has a much more authentic jet sound to it. Any reason why its fan/motor will not work well in the F-4?

Comment

• Well, it can be used. From Motions site...

This brushless outrunner motor is used primarily with the following Freewing jets:
                                  • 90mm F-16
                                  • 90mm T-45
                                  • 90mm F-104
                                  • 90mm Stinger 90
                                  • 90mm Venom
                                  • 90mm F-15

It can be used with other aircraft with compatible specifications (see below).

My opinion would be a higher power inrunner or go 8S or even better Fan Jet/ HET 8S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                                    Maiden Report:
                                    I put my F-18 up for 2 flights first to loosen my thumbs up. We had 8mph wind straight down the runway. On the takeoff roll I hit a small bump in the runway and the plane bounced into the air and at the same time the right drop tank decided it wanted to stay on the runway. To say the least I was pretty much screwed and it was on from there. I was able to recover and gain some altitude but the jet did not want to turn and kept trying to roll over on it's back. As I got it turned back downwind I turned on the unproven HobbyEagle A3 Pro guyo and that helped a little to stabilize the plane. After making 5-6 saves I was able to make a fast landing approach and put the plane down in one piece.

After cleaning out my shorts and taking a break I removed the other tank and put a 2nd flight on. The wind had increased to 13mph and was gusting and on top of that it started to sprinkle. The 2nd flight went pretty good. I can't wait for next weekend to hopefully get it back out and get it dialed in.

Here is a video of the first flight. I will work on the video of the 2nd flight and upload it later.
                                    Nice Save!! You are definitely a "Steely Eyed Missile Man".
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I bought an Eflite F-4 and really enjoyed it. I am now looking at FW F-4.

I noticed FW has 2 version, 6S with 9-blade fan and 8S with 12-blade fan. I appreciate any tips regarding these 2 versions.

Also if someone here has both Eflight F-4 and FW F-4, how do they compare/differ?

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                                        I bought an Eflite F-4 and really enjoyed it. I am now looking at FW F-4.

I noticed FW has 2 version, 6S with 9-blade fan and 8S with 12-blade fan. I appreciate any tips regarding these 2 versions.

Also if someone here has both Eflight F-4 and FW F-4, how do they compare/differ?
                                        I have the FW F4 and a friend in my club has the Eflight one - which I've flown (I'm one of the club's instructor so I end up flying everyone's planes, LOL). Basically the main difference is that the FW is bigger and heavier - a big brother - and it has a little more detail and more refinement (like the removeable missiles and fuel tanks). Both of them fly really well. The Eflight one is vey fast and has A3X which helps smooth it out, and I put a gyro on mine which helped it a lot. Eflight is 80mm, FW is 90mm so you'll get a little longer flight time on the eflight.

I don't have the 8S version of my FW F4, I am using the 6S stock. From what I've read here, the 8S version is a little faster (but not extremely so) and will drain the batteries fast. But I don't have any experience with the 8S. I'm sure others here will give you their opinions!!
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• One thing hobbySquawk could really use is stickied posts. I searched around a bit, but if someone would indulge me:

For the 8s version (I'm using 2x4000 HRB 4s packs), has the experience been to follow the throws, default elevator position, flaps-ele mix settings, and CG noted in the manual? Going to maiden and wanted to hear your experience. Is it the typical 'shift back the CG from what MRC recommends'?

Comment

Working...
                                          X