Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In no time you’ll get used to it and up the throws.

Comment

• Duplicate

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
        Have now maiden the Mirage but had to really tone the elevator and aileron movement down .Have hardly any movement on them now .I want to start doing the high Alpha .To do the high alpha I take it I will have to put the elevator on a lot more movement then I have .What would be a realistic amount of travel on the elevator to achieve these high alpha with out making it to twitchy again .I can leave the elevator in low rates but switch to high rates for the high alpha but what would be the recommend amount of travel to have on the high rates to start with .Sorry if that does not make any sense Boy does this Mirage go
        For ailerons on all my deltas I use very little throw and a good deal of expo. However for elevator I give them full travel and then dial in a good bit of expo, to my liking, for that high alpha flight. It's a trial and error thing on the Mirage 2000. I have the original V-2 and the tiger eyes version. Both identical airframes, but my expo for elevator is different. I attribute this to the increased power of the tiger eyes version.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01790.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	255199Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01791.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	255198DSC01790.jpg

I maidened my Tiger Meet Mirage Sunday the 10th, for two flights on a gray day. I'm using Admiral 5000s and I had to add 3 ounces of weight to balance, the plane weighs about 80 ounces. I had to get creative and notched out a portion the bottom of the tailcone, thinned the foam out and then put a thin sheet of lead curved to match the tailcone internally, as well as two more flattened pieces of lead on each side of the rear skid. I'm using an AS3X receiver as I find it to be really helpful on this type of plane, (old reflexes). Direct crosswind with gusts to 16 mph, didn't bother the plane at all. Easy takeoff from our grass field, quite fast at full tilt, but I do mostly partial throttle flight with a few full throttle passes and a few full throttle climbouts. Even with the Tiger Meet scheme I had a bit of trouble with orientation in flight and it would almost disappear when head on for landing approach. I added some color to the leading edge to help my 73 year old eyes. It's helpful. I've used the same technique on my Mig-21 and my P-15. I've flown it again this past Friday and Saturday, 7 more flights in clear blue skies. I'll probably not bring this plane to the field on overcast days.. The yellow on the leading edge is helpful. My first several landings were pretty heavy. The gear soaked them up with no problem. Last few landings were much better, and I've been able to do some slow, kinda high alpha flight. Set my throttle timer for 5 minutes and only set up to land when the 5 minutes is up. Total motor run time including taxi in runs about 6 minutes. Plenty of battery left for a go around or two if necessary.

Comment

• Just noticed on the website, the Mirage now comes with the 1857kv 12bl inrunner setup in it!

Comment

• JamesonC Indeed it does! It's even more fun, now.

davecee Thanks for sharing your maiden experience with us. I agree, this sharp arrowhead keeps one's eyes peeled at all time. We need a larger one someday.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                JamesonC Indeed it does! It's even more fun, now.

davecee Thanks for sharing your maiden experience with us. I agree, this sharp arrowhead keeps one's eyes peeled at all time. We need a larger one someday.
                I'd give up some straight line speed for a larger airframe and perhaps a bit bolder Tiger scheme
                .Click image for larger version

Name:	M2000RDI_83.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	255326

Comment

• Great news, with the inrunner upgrade for the Mirage! Question for Alpha ,will there be also such an upgrade for the A-4 Skyhawk? Both planes are still on top of my "must have" list!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jets and Wings View Post
                    Great news, with the inrunner upgrade for the Mirage! Question for Alpha ,will there be also such an upgrade for the A-4 Skyhawk? Both planes are still on top of my "must have" list!
                    Since the A4 is out of stock and it seems to be the only 80mm without, at least, the option for an inrunner; I'd bet it will have the inrunner when it comes back in stock.

Comment

• Motion polled us about putting in-runners in all their EDFs. It'll happen but over time.

Comment

• Intermittant nose gear door issue. My nose gear retract is stopping before closing the door, the gear wil not fully retract sometimes. as if the clever spring mechanism is too stiff for the retract to overcome it's resistance. Everything is free, no obstruction or binding. It worked fine for several flights. It will work inverted on the stand, but not always when upright. I guess gravity give's the retract a bit of help when inverted. Anyone else seen this? Any advise?

Comment

• Answered at the other place you asked the same question...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            Answered at the other place you asked the same question...
                            Sure to miss some folks if I only ask in one place.

Comment

• I'm thinking of picking on of these up. Question though. I only have admiral 5000s. Dont really want to buy some 4000s as they would only be used in this model. But will she still high alpha ok with a heavier 5000?
                              Also as I'll be carrying the additional weight of the 5000 pack would it make sense to go for the in runner upgrade? I see this upgrade is currently out of stock but would the 80mm Avanti in runner motor and fan work?
                              Also anyone flying this model with the A3L V2 3 axis gyro? Is it worth it? Does it need it? Guess you would have it turned off for high speed to prevent oscillation and just have it on for take off and landing. Have never used a gyro before and they do make me a little nervous. Just something else to go wrong and think about and also if the gyro is correcting everything I guess it makes it more difficult in some cases for example where as you'll normally get a stall warning when she drops a wing. If the gyro prevents the drop wing then could easily miss the fact that she's stalling...

Any help and advice greatly appreciated. Will be my first delta wing

Also if I do opt for the gyro then the gyro has delta wing setting so what setting would I have my Futaba 14SG transmitter set to when it asks for wing type..

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                                I'm thinking of picking on of these up. Question though. I only have admiral 5000s. Dont really want to buy some 4000s as they would only be used in this model. But will she still high alpha ok with a heavier 5000?
                                Also as I'll be carrying the additional weight of the 5000 pack would it make sense to go for the in runner upgrade? I see this upgrade is currently out of stock but would the 80mm Avanti in runner motor and fan work?
                                Also anyone flying this model with the A3L V2 3 axis gyro? Is it worth it? Does it need it? Guess you would have it turned off for high speed to prevent oscillation and just have it on for take off and landing. Have never used a gyro before and they do make me a little nervous. Just something else to go wrong and think about and also if the gyro is correcting everything I guess it makes it more difficult in some cases for example where as you'll normally get a stall warning when she drops a wing. If the gyro prevents the drop wing then could easily miss the fact that she's stalling...

Also if I do opt for the gyro then the gyro has delta wing setting so what setting would I have my Futaba 14SG transmitter set to when it asks for wing type..
                                I turned mine into a hand tosser as it couldn't get off the grass runway with those little wheels. All retracts are removed to make it lighter and I have an upgraded inrunner in it. I fly it with a 4000, 6s battery and it's pushed back quite far and it's still a bit nose heavy. After it's thrown, it'll high alpha for a little while till it picks up speed. I also run it with a gyro (A3L). A gyro must be set properly with the gain just below the oscillation point at max speed for a given plane. If you don't understand how a gyro works, then yeah, it'll make you nervous. This plane as a hand tosser needs the gyro and a little reflex (UP elevator) or it'll torque itself into the ground. When set properly, the gyro also tames it down quite a bit when in normal flight. This thing is fast and rolls are particularly fast if rates aren't dialed down. The gyro helps to stop the roll instantly so it's less easy to over spin. No, a gyro won't defy the laws of physics. If it's going too slow, it will still stall and roll over. A gyro won't stop that.
                                This plane is supposed to fast, so in my mind, the faster the better. If you go to RC Castle, you can look up in the spare parts and upgrade section, what the thrust of each of your EDF choices are. You know how much the plane weighs, so looking at the thrust will give you a good idea of how much punch a particular EDF will have. If you like to high alpha, you'll need enough punch to drive the thing out of high alpha and back to normal flight.
                                When you use a gyro like the HobbyEagle, wing type settings are always done in the gyro. The TX stays on "normal wing/tail". Gyros always supercede wing type in the TX.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  I turned mine into a hand tosser as it couldn't get off the grass runway with those little wheels. All retracts are removed to make it lighter and I have an upgraded inrunner in it. I fly it with a 4000, 6s battery and it's pushed back quite far and it's still a bit nose heavy. After it's thrown, it'll high alpha for a little while till it picks up speed. I also run it with a gyro (A3L). A gyro must be set properly with the gain just below the oscillation point at max speed for a given plane. If you don't understand how a gyro works, then yeah, it'll make you nervous. This plane as a hand tosser needs the gyro and a little reflex (UP elevator) or it'll torque itself into the ground. When set properly, the gyro also tames it down quite a bit when in normal flight. This thing is fast and rolls are particularly fast if rates aren't dialed down. The gyro helps to stop the roll instantly so it's less easy to over spin. No, a gyro won't defy the laws of physics. If it's going too slow, it will still stall and roll over. A gyro won't stop that.
                                  This plane is supposed to fast, so in my mind, the faster the better. If you go to RC Castle, you can look up in the spare parts and upgrade section, what the thrust of each of your EDF choices are. You know how much the plane weighs, so looking at the thrust will give you a good idea of how much punch a particular EDF will have. If you like to high alpha, you'll need enough punch to drive the thing out of high alpha and back to normal flight.
                                  When you use a gyro like the HobbyEagle, wing type settings are always done in the gyro. The TX stays on "normal wing/tail". Gyros always supercede wing type in the TX.
                                  Quite surprised to hear it struggles to get off on a grass run way? Have seen videos of it getting off just fine. I hate hand launching and belly landing. But thanks for the tips and advise

Comment

I'm thinking of picking on of these up. Question though. I only have admiral 5000s. Dont really want to buy some 4000s as they would only be used in this model. But will she still high alpha ok with a heavier 5000?

I think they're out of stock just about everywhere. I've been looking for one. But to answer your questions:

1.) I'd stick with 4000's. Light ones if able and they need to be on the thin side about ~42-43mm. You can't jam 5000's far enough back for my liking for the plane not to fly nose heavy, even with a small amount of foam carving. While it'll handle the extra weight, if flies better without it. To me, it'd be worth it having the 4000's if you want to high alpha and to keep extra weight off of the nose gear, but I'm flying mine with the CG pretty far to the rear. This is my favorite plane, so I want it to perform as well as possible and it'll do that with something in the 4000 range and ~600 grams.

2.) I don't know what motor you're referring to, as the only 80mm Avanti listed on MRC is the high performance inrunner. That 1857kv 12-bld. motor should be an excellent combo with a 100A ESC. I've flown it on the older 3530 12-blade ~1900kv outrunner and the performance is still good, but more thrust is better, particularly for punching out of high alpha.

3.) I've flown it with the A3L (no V2) and it does benefit from it some. It numbs down the roll, which helps as mentioned it's a drill bit even with only using ~50% of the throw available. It's not as sensitive in pitch and I tend to like a fair amount of throw there for high alpha. I didn't have any issue with high speed oscillation, but I had the gain cranked down and ended up replacing the rudder servo with one that was very fast moving. Be careful to triple check your control surface corrections though, as I made a mistake with my first Mirage in setup on the gyro and it made it uncontrollable in roll even with tiny movements - it would go into a full deflection spin. The gyro and my mistake cost me that plane. Just make sure whatever you do to really tame down the factory throws before maiden.

4.) I find the plane almost impossible to stall, with power on. It dumps energy quickly in turns, like the real thing, but won't fall out or snap..it just kind of lets you know it's not happy by not going the direction you want and falling off to the side. It will even hover reasonably well and with a hot 6S setup has almost unlimited vertical. If you learn to fly nose high, it can be flown at almost a walking pace...loads of fun.

I have no trouble getting off grass. The nose gear is a weak point though. I modded my most recent one with an F-86 nose gear I had lying around and that made it even better as that gear is stronger and has a larger wheel for grass ops. It isn't scale of course, but you can't tell once you suck up the gear. Eventually that nose gear will wear out if you fly off grass though. I've gone through four, where eventually it'll stall out trying to retract on the spring that closes the gear door.

The entire nose could use some carbon spars as it's pretty thin and takes a beating on grass, but it's not mandatory. The nose gear will eventually flex backward and break the plywood tray if you aren't gentle on it, so I tend to reinforce mine at the rear of the retract itself with a small piece of square carbon rod, which stops the flex.

Finally, if you're serious about rough grass, remove the main gear doors or trim them at least ~1.5", as eventually they'll get snagged and pull off.

I'd love a V3 and when I lost my second one due to an ESC failure, I looked everywhere for parts to repair it. If I ever lose #3, I'll buy another. It's the most flexible and fun jet Freewing makes. Love the size, ease of transport and of course the performance. Wish they'd make a few more models like it, but they have gone larger with the 80mms.

Comment

• I was just about to click buy but been put off now by a few things. Not good on grass performance and week nose leg. And if my 5000s won't fit and perform the way I want it to then make no sense for me to buy 4000s because I wouldn't use them in any other plane. I'll hold off for my next jet and wait and see what freewing releases next. Hoping for maybe a hawker hunter but the appeal of a high alpha delta is still tempting

Comment

I was just about to click buy but been put off now by a few things. Not good on grass performance and week nose leg. And if my 5000s won't fit and perform the way I want it to then make no sense for me to buy 4000s because I wouldn't use them in any other plane. I'll hold off for my next jet and wait and see what freewing releases next. Hoping for maybe a hawker hunter but the appeal of a high alpha delta is still tempting
                                        Ahh to hell with it. Just placed my order lol. Will deal with issues later. Ordered the same in runner and 12 blade fan I put in my Avanti too. Getting off grass shouldn't be an issue now 😁

Comment

Ahh to hell with it. Just placed my order lol. Will deal with issues later. Ordered the same in runner and 12 blade fan I put in my Avanti too. Getting off grass shouldn't be an issue now 😁
                                          Not all grass is the same. My runway is very bumpy grass that's not cut very short. Very few of my jets can take off from there. If it's cut to a reasonable RC runway length, you should be fine. As the depth increases, the power needed to take off increases exponentially.

Comment

Working...
                                          X