Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never did any rate change, all of mine are 100% throws. I think I killed off all expo when swept, (and only true difference I know off hand is i only use the stabilators for roll control also when swept and shut off the ailerons) I'll need to look at that one again though, because I can't remember.

Comment

• Major issue to report, after 7 yrs of owning the original 80mm Tomcat, I've constantly had Elevator servo problems, twitching and even failing on my last flight (almost lost her to the trees). When I safely landed, I held the jet down and hit the throttle, it seemed to affect the servo and completely fail with no movement. I've replaced Elevator servos with stock several times and the same issue keeps happening. I replaced the control board just 3 weeks ago also. After that last throttle test I realized there's some type of major interference between the EDF fans and exposed servos inside the thrust exhaust area. I have no choice but to try a new pair of servos and try to cut and glue a piece of plastic to keep thrust air from contact with servo. Anyone else have this issue?

BTW just about every component on my Tomcat has been replaced, cost me over $500 in total, but I have a special love for this bird, while the smaller newer version has been calling for me! Not sure if I should spend anymore money on her or just sell, and get the new one?

Comment

• Brinka, Long time my friend. Great to read you are still among us.

Timely comments as most all have issues with the OEM servos

I just got a twitch of my Corsair's right aileron servo and that is after 10+ minutes on the servo tester. last Winter.

I filled all around my servos after testing, so I gotta dig this one out, replace, refill and repaint.

Not a biggie, but should not have been necessary, IMHO.

Best as always, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Question I own the 80 F14 myself am upgrading EDF’s ESC’s however I only have a NX8 transmitter. Is there a way to program this plane for normal flight with only 8 channels. Everything I see say I need 9. I have a 10 channel Spektrum with Safe AS3x that will be used as well. Hopefully someone can put me in the right direction would love to maiden her some day
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Brinka View Post
            Major issue to report, after 7 yrs of owning the original 80mm Tomcat, I've constantly had Elevator servo problems, twitching and even failing on my last flight (almost lost her to the trees). When I safely landed, I held the jet down and hit the throttle, it seemed to affect the servo and completely fail with no movement. I've replaced Elevator servos with stock several times and the same issue keeps happening. I replaced the control board just 3 weeks ago also. After that last throttle test I realized there's some type of major interference between the EDF fans and exposed servos inside the thrust exhaust area. I have no choice but to try a new pair of servos and try to cut and glue a piece of plastic to keep thrust air from contact with servo. Anyone else have this issue?

BTW just about every component on my Tomcat has been replaced, cost me over $500 in total, but I have a special love for this bird, while the smaller newer version has been calling for me! Not sure if I should spend anymore money on her or just sell, and get the new one?
            I replaced my elevator servos with these.
            D85MG 32-Bit Metal Gear Micro Servo from Hitec - HRC36085S Engineered with state-of-the-art D-Series technology, this “micro but mighty” servo is an upgrade from the HS-5085MG. With soft-start enabled circuitry, 4096 high-resolution and a long-life potentiometer, the D85MG allows for smooth and decisive movement and ac

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
              Brinka, Long time my friend. Great to read you are still among us.

Timely comments as most all have issues with the OEM servos

I just got a twitch of my Corsair's right aileron servo and that is after 10+ minutes on the servo tester. last Winter.

I filled all around my servos after testing, so I gotta dig this one out, replace, refill and repaint.

Not a biggie, but should not have been necessary, IMHO.

Best as always, LB

Hey Elbee!

Yeah I've been in and out of the chat, as I bought a boat and that's been taking a lot of my time from the Hobby, however I still like to jump on to make the community aware to certain issues that are kind of tough to troubleshoot online with "lord Google" lol. Good to see you on here bud, all the best always!

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post

I replaced my elevator servos with these.
                https://www.motionrc.com/products/hi...ervo-hrc36085s
                Thanks for link, I always stood with the stock servos, but it's time for a change.

Comment

• Originally posted by shortround91 View Post
                  Question I own the 80 F14 myself am upgrading EDF’s ESC’s however I only have a NX8 transmitter. Is there a way to program this plane for normal flight with only 8 channels. Everything I see say I need 9. I have a 10 channel Spektrum with Safe AS3x that will be used as well. Hopefully someone can put me in the right direction would love to maiden her some day
                  I don't see why you can't do it with 8. MotionRC only calls for a 7 channel system.

1. THR
                  2. AIL
                  3. ELE
                  4. RUD
                  5. GEAR
                  6. FLAP
                  7. SWEEP
                  8. AS3X master gain

The built-in mixing board can handle all the flight surfaces.

Personally I'm using 10 channels, but doing the taileron mixing in a separate gyro since I found AS3X didn't handle too well when the wings are back, and I have separate nosewheel steering.

Comment

• For once no doctors visits tomorrow I’ll break her back out and see what I can do again. I have looked online most are showing mixes for 10 plus I’m good with normal flight for now. Thanks for that information hopefully I can get her up soon

Comment

• I have flown all mine using the stock mixing board on 7ch, fly great with the stock set up, don't see why you need anymore channels unless your going with all separate control throws and your own mixes and if your going to use a gyro which it don't need really.

Comment

• I'd did extra channels for other reasons. Mainly for flight modes and program purposes.

Comment

• I guess what is throwing me off is I’m so used the say landing gear on switch A I’ve been told I need to go into mixing to accomplish this. Have also thought of buying the 64’s board and trying that

Comment

• Originally posted by shortround91 View Post
                            I guess what is throwing me off is I’m so used the say landing gear on switch A I’ve been told I need to go into mixing to accomplish this. Have also thought of buying the 64’s board and trying that
                            I don't know who is telling you this stuff, but it's nonsense. My landing gear is on switch A and no mixing is required.

I don't know you'd achieve very much by using the 64's board, since (1) the sweep works differently, (2) the nosegear/door timing is handled by the board and is likely to be different, and (3) it has a built-in gyro whose settings would not be correct for the 80mm version.

The only advantage I can see is that the 64 board automatically takes care of not allowing the wings to sweep when the flaps are down, and that is easy to program in your TX anyway.

Comment

• That was my main thought of doing the 64 board was for the wing sweep not having to worry with flaps being down. I’ll post some pics soon hopefully y’all can help me get this thing sorted out.

Comment

• Update, after installing a pair of pricey Hitec servos on elevator, the Tomcat is back in business, flew her flawlessly, what a difference! Thanks again rifleman_btx and Elbee After flying and replacing several components I finally noticed how underpowered she was, I like to fly scale but wow compared to my other jets she's a total dog, I will fly her for now as is and perhaps Alpha may make the call to upgrade the power system one day, but for sure will be going to inrunners soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brinka View Post
                                  Update, after installing a pair of pricey Hitec servos on elevator, the Tomcat is back in business, flew her flawlessly, what a difference! Thanks again rifleman_btx and Elbee After flying and replacing several components I finally noticed how underpowered she was, I like to fly scale but wow compared to my other jets she's a total dog, I will fly her for now as is and perhaps Alpha may make the call to upgrade the power system one day, but for sure will be going to inrunners soon.
                                  I put a pair of FMS Pro 3665 2000kV units in mine and it has plenty of power. The new(ish) Freewing 80mm 3658-2150kV inrunners are no doubt just as powerful.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I put a pair of FMS Pro 3665 2000kV units in mine and it has plenty of power. The new(ish) Freewing 80mm 3658-2150kV inrunners are no doubt just as powerful.
                                    Ahh, yes certainly will consider this, I also forgot to mention how awful the stock fans sound, I was really shocked as it had been almost 2 yrs since I've flown my F14. When ready, will take the $300 plunge to improve the power.

Comment

• Alpha hasn't worked for Motion for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                        Alpha hasn't worked for Motion for years.
                                        Oh wow, I had no idea he didn't work for Motion anymore, I was wondering why we never heard from him again....

Comment

• Won’t be long before the F14 Maidens, I bought the 90 F15 had similar issues on controls as the F14. All my fault choosing the wrong wing type but to my credit I was choosing what the pics looked like in wing rudder set ups. Throwing the 80mm EDF/ESC’s in now along with the upgraded servos as I have the same twitching that doesn’t give me much confidence that bad things won’t happen. Anyways I’ll post some pics within the next few weeks how the maiden goes been having a blast flying the J-10 and F15. Got 115mph from the J-10 level and 106 from the F-15 again level flights. Thanks guys for all the help talk back soon

Comment

Working...
                                          X