You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Black Horse Viper Jet MKII 120mm EDF Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post
    I got some lights from Dave's RC Electronics installed In the wings.
    FANTASTIC! That’s exactly what we’re getting too. I’ve modified the mount but still waiting to get the lighting system. We’re installing a strobe on top and a taillight. Two white landing lights on each side and the appropriate position lights on each side.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #22
      thank you very much, you made my dream come true

      Comment


      • #23
        The struts that come with the kit are not the 5mm struts are indicated in the description or on the plans. They are 10mm male shaft struts, which makes them almost impossible to use. The kit also does not come with the thrust tube, which I think is really strange. I think the easiest thing is to replace the struts with something that will fit on 5mm retracts. very disappointing.

        Comment


        • #24
          These retracts have a 10mm pin and are a perfect fit. The mounting holes line up and they seem well made. The connecting pin on the stock struts is painted. In order to get it to fit in the retract I had to remove the paint with stripper. Also the retract has to be taken apart to remove the pin it came with.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #25
            This retract fits the stock front strut after the paint is removed from the connecting pin. I just need a screw to put in the trunion to retain the strut and allow it to rotate.

            US $42.72 5%OFF | All Metal Nose Landing Gears/ E- Retracts 050 with W/ Block Axle Shaft Steering For Giant RC Plane
            https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqI33pQ
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #26
              What servo did you guys use in the elevator and rudder?

              Comment


              • #27
                We’re using Hitec HS-645MG’s on everything.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Mud Duck View Post
                  We’re using Hitec HS-645MG’s on everything.
                  Okay, I have not started building mine yet. Someone said the standard servo would not fit and had to use mini servo's in the elevator and rudder. Thanks for letting me know! I see people are buying the lights from Dave's RC Electronics. Do you know which ones or are they all the same? Getting ready to buy everything I need for the build. Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by bigd5963 View Post

                    Okay, I have not started building mine yet. Someone said the standard servo would not fit and had to use mini servo's in the elevator and rudder. Thanks for letting me know! I see people are buying the lights from Dave's RC Electronics. Do you know which ones or are they all the same? Getting ready to buy everything I need for the build. Thanks!
                    The mounts for the servos are easy to cut off and move. I cut them off and reglued them with epoxy to perfectly fit the servos.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Finished with Minwax Polycrylic spray. It runs easily so have a brush ready to smooth out the drips as soon as possible. if you miss some and they dry( like me). Wait a few days for it to harden and then carefully shave off the drips with a razor blade. I will either put a sticker over it or very carefully hand rub it. The coats of poly applied don't bond with each other so be careful not to sand through the last coat if your going to use sand paper. If you do it will leave an eye shaped mark that you will see.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Oh Geez! Honestly we’re still building ours too. We bought the servos on the recommendation of Motion R/C; I sure hope the whitecaps fit without having to do a bunch of modifying, I’ll have to check.

                        As for the lights from Dave’s R/C electronics we’re using his 8mm lighting system in a custom configuration

                        Leithalweapon are you really happy with the results of the Minwax Polycrylic? I have been on the fence - actually I sided with NOT doing it at all for fear of getting runs or uneven spray and ruining the already nice finish. We test sprayed the ventral fins on the bottom and I have to admit they turned out better than I expected in the end, but those are small parts compared to the size (and visibility) of the fuselage.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by Mud Duck View Post
                          Oh Geez! Honestly we’re still building ours too. We bought the servos on the recommendation of Motion R/C; I sure hope the whitecaps fit without having to do a bunch of modifying, I’ll have to check.

                          As for the lights from Dave’s R/C electronics we’re using his 8mm lighting system in a custom configuration

                          Leithalweapon are you really happy with the results of the Minwax Polycrylic? I have been on the fence - actually I sided with NOT doing it at all for fear of getting runs or uneven spray and ruining the already nice finish. We test sprayed the ventral fins on the bottom and I have to admit they turned out better than I expected in the end, but those are small parts compared to the size (and visibility) of the fuselage.
                          I would have preferred to use an automotive clear coat, but it's just too expensive. The only trouble I had with the polycrylic was on the fuselage. The printed graphics seem to just be ink. So if you get a run from the red onto the white you get pink drips on the white. I saw this when it was still very wet and was able to wipe most of it off, but if you know it's there you can see it. The wings and stabilizers I made a them able to rotate while I was painting so if I got a run I could rotate it 180 degrees and get rid of it. The fuselage was able to rotated once and then it got stuck. On the second coat I got runs and was unable to get rid of them because I couldn't rotate the fuse.. I used a brush and thought I got them. I came back an hour later and they were back and hardening.
                          My advice, if you can get a paint gun and a compressor and then buy the brush on polycrylic and thin it as recommended. You can mix it a tad thicker and maybe still get a good finish.
                          The plane looks a thousands times better with clear on it.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            We have finished the clear coat and it does look better; consistent finish makes it look nice instead of having one party gloss and another flat.

                            So now we’re trying to locate servos that will work at the size shown in the manual which is;

                            Servos size: (32.3x16.8×31) mm.

                            Has anyone found good quality servos in this size? Thanks for your recommendations.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Hi Put put these Kingmax servos in mine. They fit in the holes and have plenty of torque.

                              John
                              KingMax Mini Servo, Coreless Motor, Metal Gear, Digital HV (CLS2875H)


                              Comment


                              • #35
                                This maybe my upgrade plane from the 80mm Avanti S and Viper 90mm😎

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  What's everybody doing with the intake ducting? I think I'm going to either completely eliminate it or just use enough to cover the first couple of formers on the interior side of the fuselage. Seems pretty flimsy though.
                                  Also is anyone using the two small intake ducts on each side of the fuselage?
                                  Attached Files

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    What is everyone using for the tail pipe?? I want something really light but yet something that is stiff enough to work good.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by edge_pilot View Post
                                      What is everyone using for the tail pipe?? I want something really light but yet something that is stiff enough to work good.
                                      I'm using the .01" thick mylar from efflux rc. RC g#r$o!u#p#s has more info on this jet.

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X