Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all the folks whom are having issues with CG on this bird; spoke with the MRC tech-rep and he assured me that FreeWing designers tend to be conservative on where they place the CG, IOW-on the spot or slightly nose heavy. Here's the deal... I bought and built one of these beauties for myself, at that price it's a steal (in my book)! However; as Russ Henderson pointed out, on the design CG it's a touch sensitive! So, when I redesigned mine I added the wheels and an RCJuice (brand name) 6.4 oz 3S battery of 2200x50C plus a 9grm rudder servo across from the elevator servo and used each of their control wires in-place (one for elev and one for rud). I also added a 45 amp ESC to help handle future 4S batteries. On the elev I epoxied a 3mm plastic tube between elevators.

Now, with all that said; my plane (w/battery) comes in at 1 pound 9.5 oz. That's 6.0 oz over their design weight with a 1600x35 (you do the math). I think 1.75" is a bit far back for the CG, that's 44mm for you metric types... So I made mine balance right at the front of the gear plates (at 1.5") with my 2200 as smooched rearward as I can get it up against the cut-a-way ply servo tray. So placing a 4S 2200x50 at 2 more oz is going to make it super nose heavy, so I'll need to figure something out later. Having said that; doing over I would definitely have placed the rudder servo in the vert. stab to add the tail weight and maybe a 4S might just balance it out at the same point (1.5")! If anyone does this, please let me know how it measures up.

p.s. I added exactly 0 oz nose weight to the forward end, none whatsoever! I did order some new 4S 2200x60 batteries that weigh-in at 5 grams less that my 4S 2200s, it may help or may not, we'll see when they get here! That's it, hope this helps someone...

Comment

Tazman Eager to hear how it goes!

Still waiting for them to come out with a 80, or a 90mm version. I don't think they realize how well it would sell.

Comment

agreed, maybe a 90mm version... it would be awesome!

Comment

Just ordered mine. I have an idea for some customization when it arrives, so once it's done, I'll post photos.

Comment

Looking forward to what you put together

Comment

Here she is, all finished. It took me a little while to finish her up, but I maidened her on Sunday. I went with a fictitious air show bird paint scheme. My Better Half made the decals on her Cricut machine, and the pilot is 3D printed. Landing on the maiden was pretty ugly (my fault, not the plane's), but the photo below is post-maiden. She does fly nice.

Comment

That looked like a smooth, uneventful maiden flight, just what you want !!!

Comment

For those interested, this is the .stl file I used for the pilot figure. As I recall, I reduced the pilot to 75%, and that seemed about right.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2002727

Comment

Working...
                  X