Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch that's a bummer man, that's one of my biggest worries with the edfs. Although my first P38 when I flew with only a single pack, went in too for the same reasons in exactly the same way.:(

Comment

I posted on this site however maybe some could tell me about the elevator setting in particular. Antsy other info would be appreciated . Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rcrmel View Post
        I posted on this site however maybe some could tell me about the elevator setting in particular. Antsy other info would be appreciated . Thanks
        These are my full rate settings that give a pleasant and smooth to fly model that is plenty quick enough in roll for me!

Elevator +/- 12mm
        Aileron +/- 12mm
        Rudder +/- 18mm
        Flaps 18mm/32mm half/full - No elevator mix required on mine.

Comment

What an incredible jet! Tearing it up with the Venom.
          video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

I've been waiting a while now for a Swiss Red PNP to arrive in the EU shop - it appears to be in stock all the time in the USA.
            Will we be seeing the Swiss Red Venom again in the EU? Or is it no longer planned to bring them over the big pond?

If it is likely to be available soon then I will carry on waiting, but if not I'd like to know, so I can spend my hard-earned on something else.

Steve

Comment

Coming back into the EU warehouse soon so I'm reliably informed

Comment

I just pulled the trigger on the Red version of this EDF. Every video I've watched and everything posted here sent me over the edge. I just hope it's everything it's cracked up to be!

Comment

Aside from the two important tips about elevator setup and landing sequence, there's nothing really to worry about with this bird. As I've said before, it's simply one of my most favorite flyers. Balanced, efficient, honest, unique. You'll have no trouble seeing your red scheme!
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                    Aside from the two important tips about elevator setup and landing sequence, there's nothing really to worry about with this bird. As I've said before, it's simply one of my most favorite flyers. Balanced, efficient, honest, unique. You'll have no trouble seeing your red scheme!
                    Thanks for the reassurance Alpha. I'm more of a prop warbird person, but I've always liked this Jet. I have a few EDFS in the 64mm range and they're a blast! I'll definitely follow the elevator setup and post a review here after maiden. Really looking forward to this one. Hoping Santa brings us all an )!

Comment

Sounds good, Dave. Let us know how you like it after your maiden. Keep in mind that the airflow over the elevator impacts it's effectiveness so keep the throttle consistent during landing and don't over-flare.

Comment

I know many people like the red version but I still like the classic silver markings on my Venom. This was covered with thin aluminum tape from Home Depot, and scuffed in selected areas with a Scotch-Brite pad to bring out differential paneling and texture. Knocking down the gloss also increases the model's visibility, as the sunlight "glints" off the surface better. RIP, pretty bird, gone before I could finish you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2009.JPG
Views:	1312
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	156173Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.JPG
Views:	1186
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	156170
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.JPG
Views:	1196
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	156172Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002.JPG
Views:	1214
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	156171

Comment

[QUOTE=Alpha.MotionRC;n156169]I know many people like the red version but I still like the classic silver markings on my Venom. This was covered with thin aluminum tape from Home Depot, and scuffed in selected areas with a Scotch-Brite pad to bring out differential paneling and texture. Knocking down the gloss also increases the model's visibility, as the sunlight "glints" off the surface better. RIP, pretty bird, gone before I could finish you.

That sure is/was a beautiful bird! sorry for your loss Alpha. I may have to try this on one of my prop jobs! Was it hard to get the tape to conform to multiple and compound curves?

Comment

Alpha, that Venom looks incredible. Great job on the additions. I love that method on the F-86 too.

Do you think Freewing is game to improve upon this airframe with small additions? That is unless they want to go further for advancements. For example, say a V3 in a different paint scheme or keep the current paint offerings, but use the new multi-box and multi-connect wing harness for easy removal of the wings, provide ball link connectors on all the pushrods, some trailing link style struts (there must be some that fit this airframe that Freewing already produces), larger wheel axles and retract/strut pins, a canopy latch, and a full length wing carbon spar?

I think the above additions would be great. I have never owned this jet, and have only seem it fly many many times. It appears to be one of those hidden gems. However, I can’t get myself to spend the money on a Kit Plus or PNP. Since the jet has been around quite some time, it’s showing it’s age with the technology that’s in it for the price point it’s at when I compare it to something like the new Freewing L-39 80mm EDF jet. For $10 less, I can get the L-39 Kit Plus and I feel the value of what I’m getting far surpasses the Venom. With the additions above, it’s likely I’d bight the bullet and purchase one, but I’m not sure others would, but hopefully. I don’t know what Freewing’s plans are for this aircraft, whether it’ll be discontinued soon, or stay around a while longer as it is, but I’d like to see a breath of fresh air put into it.

I don't think this next aspect is possible to have as I don’t know how difficult or expensive it would be (likely very expensive, ha-ha), but I’d like to see a more glueless assembly. The booms are okay to glue on, but it would be nice to see the horizontal and vertical stabilizers mate together with mounts and screws. I’m not sure what the V2 improvements are to the tail areas, but it’s seems like possible carbon reinforcement, but the website description doesn’t specifically state how or what is improved in that area.

Comment

Mine arrived this afternoon and I have to say I'm impressed! It looks better than in the videos and the pictures!
                              Everything is well packaged as with all the purchases from MRC. The paint is flawless and the foam is actually pretty smooth for EPO.
                              I'm hoping to get the chance to get it on the building table this weekend. I need to do a bit of research on the 2 control box's, don't want to hook something up incorrectly.
                              I would like to thank meadowhay and xviper in advance for sharing their control throws and expo as the manual has nothing on this.
                              I will do a small review after the maiden. If it flies as good as it looks, I'm sure I'll really like it. This is my first step into the bigger EDF's.
                              I've been flying the 64mm birds on 4S and they're a blast. Any advice other than what Alpha has said about Elevator and landing would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Dual Prop Dave View Post
                                Mine arrived this afternoon and I have to say I'm impressed! It looks better than in the videos and the pictures!
                                Everything is well packaged as with all the purchases from MRC. The paint is flawless and the foam is actually pretty smooth for EPO.
                                I'm hoping to get the chance to get it on the building table this weekend. I need to do a bit of research on the 2 control box's, don't want to hook something up incorrectly.
                                I would like to thank meadowhay and xviper in advance for sharing their control throws and expo as the manual has nothing on this.
                                I will do a small review after the maiden. If it flies as good as it looks, I'm sure I'll really like it. This is my first step into the bigger EDF's.
                                I've been flying the 64mm birds on 4S and they're a blast. Any advice other than what Alpha has said about Elevator and landing would be greatly appreciated.
                                Don't forget to glue and allow to set the tail booms with the plane upside down. This makes for better horizontal stabilizer incident than if done right side up.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Don't forget to glue and allow to set the tail booms with the plane upside down. This makes for better horizontal stabilizer incident than if done right side up.
                                  Yes Sir, I did catch that bit of sound advice. Thank You! :Cool:
                                  Any other tips on setup and flying? I didn't worry to much about the $98 Stinger and Mig, but I'd Hate to destroy a $500+ Jet on it's first outing!

Comment

Yes Sir, I did catch that bit of sound advice. Thank You! :Cool:
                                    Any other tips on setup and flying? I didn't worry to much about the $98 Stinger and Mig, but I'd Hate to destroy a $500+ Jet on it's first outing!
                                    After you get the thing bound and all trims are neutral (except throttle, which should be as low as it can go), did you read about the 2 to 3 degrees of UP elevator as normal neutral? You can set this manually. If it's put together right side up, the UP elevator can be as much as 5 to 8 degrees. My first silver one was like that. My present red one is only a couple degrees. Both flew well but I didn't like that much UP on the ELE for level flight.
                                    Depending on what kind of surface you fly from, this plane can bounce on landing quite easily. You'll need to do trial and error a couple of times on just how much throttle to hold on approach (I keep it at about 1/5th to 1/4) until it's almost touched down. The bounce up is no problem. It's when it comes down again that is real hard on the gear. My field is so rough and bumpy that I put trailing links on the mains and the bounce is mostly resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      After you get the thing bound and all trims are neutral (except throttle, which should be as low as it can go), did you read about the 2 to 3 degrees of UP elevator as normal neutral? You can set this manually. If it's put together right side up, the UP elevator can be as much as 5 to 8 degrees. My first silver one was like that. My present red one is only a couple degrees. Both flew well but I didn't like that much UP on the ELE for level flight.
                                      Depending on what kind of surface you fly from, this plane can bounce on landing quite easily. You'll need to do trial and error a couple of times on just how much throttle to hold on approach (I keep it at about 1/5th to 1/4) until it's almost touched down. The bounce up is no problem. It's when it comes down again that is real hard on the gear. My field is so rough and bumpy that I put trailing links on the mains and the bounce is mostly resolved.
                                      I didn't know about the 2 to 3 degrees up elevator, Thanks for that tip! My field is grass and not all that smooth either. What trailing links worked best for you?

Comment

I didn't know about the 2 to 3 degrees up elevator, Thanks for that tip! My field is grass and not all that smooth either. What trailing links worked best for you?
                                        The "UP" elevator for neutral is very minor (about the thickness of the elevator itself). It depends on how the booms cured when upside down. If they drooped more, you'll need less UP. Ideally, you need almost none. It's better to have a little UP than "down" when on the maiden. You can deal with the plane climbing but you don't want it heading for the ground when you're trying to get it away from the ground on take off. Once trimmed, you can manually re-set the elevator that best works for your build.
                                        It's been a while now since I installed the trailing links on the mains so I can't remember. I used whatever I had laying around from disassembled planes. You want ones that deploy in the same direction as on the Venom. IE, you want ones that normally deploy along the wing (like on the Avanti S or Mirage) as opposed to dropping straight down (like on the A-10). This puts the ground out flats at the same spots where you want them to attach to the retract. You can buy just the struts and use your existing retract and tire. The Avanti S struts would work well as the two planes are relatively the same weight. You may have to cut out some foam in the wheels wells so they can retract properly as the slight bend in the trailing link arms don't allow for a dead straight strut as the stocks.

Comment

Thanks for the info xviper I really appreciate all the help!:Cool: I'll do some research on the Avanti and Mirage struts and probably change them over.
                                          I'll see how the stock ones are on maiden and go from there. Looking forward to getting this up in the air!

Comment

Working...
                                          X