X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bogietrim View Post

I definitely agree the quality isn’t the same as the newer stuff. I added some carbon rods to the nose section which stiffened it greatly. I was not happy with the flex and felt it just needed a little more support.
    I need to do the same thing, the nose is extremely flexible. You have any pictures of what you did?

I don’t like the lower quality, but the F-5 flies fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

I need to do the same thing, the nose is extremely flexible. You have any pictures of what you did?

I don’t like the lower quality, but the F-5 flies fantastic.
      I don’t have any on me and I am not at home. Basically I just hogged a small channel along the sides about 4-5 inches either side of the glue joint holding the nose section on. I then just epoxied a round section of carbon fiber rod into the channel. It really helped with rigidity and the fit of the canopy. I will be home tomorrow night and will try and get a photo up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogietrim View Post

I don’t have any on me and I am not at home. Basically I just hogged a small channel along the sides about 4-5 inches either side of the glue joint holding the nose section on. I then just epoxied a round section of carbon fiber rod into the channel. It really helped with rigidity and the fit of the canopy. I will be home tomorrow night and will try and get a photo up.
        Thanks, I definitely need to do that.

Comment

• Anybody got flap to elevator numbers for landings on spectrum dx 9 ?

Does it pitch up or down?

With flaps deployed

I'm going to maiden tomorrow wind and weather are good

I'm starting with a 4000 if that goes well I'll go to a 3300 if that goes well I'll try a 5000 I try to keep wing load light on maidens ...

My rates on aerolines will be 70 high 60 mid 50 low

On rudder 70 60 50

On elevator 100 80 60

I've got the mix ready for elevator on dial to play with flaps

I also like extreme landing flaps but maybe it might blank our elevators ?
          Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post
            Anybody got flap to elevator numbers for landings on spectrum dx 9 ?

Does it pitch up or down?

With flaps deployed

I'm going to maiden tomorrow wind and weather are good

I'm starting with a 4000 if that goes well I'll go to a 3300 if that goes well I'll try a 5000 I try to keep wing load light on maidens ...

My rates on aerolines will be 70 high 60 mid 50 low

On rudder 70 60 50

On elevator 100 80 60

I've got the mix ready for elevator on dial to play with flaps

I also like extreme landing flaps but maybe it might blank our elevators ?
            Thanks
            I don't have any programming numbers for you as I never did a mix on mine. However I can tell you I used full flaps, like 80°, on mine for the majority of my landings and never blanked out the elevators. The approach is a nose down attitude from late downwind, base, and final until almost in ground effect then level the fuselage, and when your descent increases again flare to a 10 to 15° pitch up attitude for touchdown on the mains. The majority of my approaches are completely power off, unless you rotate too quickly or too early then I add a little power for cushion.

You can land her real slowly and gentle like this, instead of the screaming "hot" landings I usually see on YouTube videos with her. She lands better like a conventional plane, rather than a high alpha delta approach. I fly her with 4000 mah all the way up to 8,400 mah, with two 4,200mah 6s lipos in parallel. She flies great and lands great regardless of payload. I fly her about 20% faster in high angle banking turns, and lose about 30 to 40% percent of my vertical with 8,400mah on board. But sometimes I just want to cruise her around for 6 plus minutes. Sometimes I load her up to handle the winds better.

Comment

Thanks, I definitely need to do that.
              Here is my hacked job!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2A15C633-963C-4DE8-B845-3D54442D4D66.jpeg
Views:	1219
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	257677Click image for larger version

Name:	A29D9FC3-0B7B-4AD2-AE87-33A526A3FF45.jpeg
Views:	843
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	257678

Comment

• I had some flat stock carbon fiber that I installed over the weekend. It really did help to strengthen the nose section.
                Attached Files

Comment

• F 5 maiden report high speed version

Crosswind less than five viability cloudy

Runway 250 ft asphalt 60 wide

First flight no flap off in two hundred need trimming up elevator tinge of right performance good squirlly with gear deployed on yaw tendency

Landed ok no flaps little fast but no middle in the air unlimited verticle

4000 pack cg is around the plastic squares rear of front of tab 3.5 minutes mixed throttle came down 15 percent

Flight two ...

Removed gear doors all no more yaw issue flaps ballooned at half and full not that bad though

Landed at half flaps 125 ft roll out

Third flight turn and burn I think this is a fast jet than can suffer compression fail at high elevator on the downhill so be mindful no shaking on rails I also only fly rails no missiles

Full flaps landed at 80 ft rollout slows down wel
                  4 through 11 good times ...

For me biggest problem was doors

Rate

Aerolines 70 evlevatpr 100 mm

​​​

Flaps in 50 80 ....5 mix elevator down on spectrum

3300s work great
                  ,Pushed all way forward

I'm using 3300 you can get a great high alpha slow speed plenty of power 3 minute flight time better verticle

I didn't fly 5000s I might in the future but right now it's great

Comment

• Interesting, you think the gear doors caused the yaw?

Comment

Interesting, you think the gear doors caused the yaw?
                      He's not alone, a couple of others on here have quoted thinking the same. I've never personally experienced any adverse effects, yaw or otherwise from the gear doors, but as previously stated, I've never flown with them removed

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

He's not alone, a couple of others on here have quoted thinking the same. I've never personally experienced any adverse effects, yaw or otherwise from the gear doors, but as previously stated, I've never flown with them removed
                        Can’t say I’ve experienced that on my F-5, even in crosswinds. Interesting thing to be aware of I guess.

Comment

Can’t say I’ve experienced that on my F-5, even in crosswinds. Interesting thing to be aware of I guess.
                          I'm aware others have commented on it, but it's not a consideration for me as I've never experienced what they have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

I'm aware others have commented on it, but it's not a consideration for me as I've never experienced what they have.
                            The F-5 nose gear door is large combined with a long nose.

Comment

• so as you guys know... I got the new FMS 2100kv set up installed... here are the videos...

At my usual field in Livermore...

The first flights were at a field I was visiting for a Jet Rally in Reedly, CA at Peg Field

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                              I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Quick question. I have 6 flights on the HP F-5 and absolutely love it. I just noticed on the build table and during taxi the nose gear seems to have a lot of forward to aft play/slop. More than my three other Freewing EDF’s by a notable amount. I might need to get video of it for a visual. The slop appears to be in the nose gear retract mechanism, not the strut itself. It’s not posing any sort of an issue at this point, but I’m curious if this is consistent with others?
                                Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post
                                  Quick question. I have 6 flights on the HP F-5 and absolutely love it. I just noticed on the build table and during taxi the nose gear seems to have a lot of forward to aft play/slop. More than my three other Freewing EDF’s by a notable amount. I might need to get video of it for a visual. The slop appears to be in the nose gear retract mechanism, not the strut itself. It’s not posing any sort of an issue at this point, but I’m curious if this is consistent with others?
                                  Thanks!
                                  Mine has the exact same thing. I took it apart and everything was tight, I'm assuming it's a normal situation. It tracks down the runway like it's on rails even with the play.

Comment

Mine has the exact same thing. I took it apart and everything was tight, I'm assuming it's a normal situation. It tracks down the runway like it's on rails even with the play.
                                    Thank so much for the conformation John. Happy to know it’s a non-issue. And your totally correct, mine also tracks very well on takeoff regardless.
                                    Thank you!

Comment

Interesting, you think the gear doors caused the yaw?
                                      It's not the same yaw as say rudder but for me it's like the nose gets mushy on the final turn ....

That long door is flapping away plus the front wheel is creating drag and on this one if you don't get it right and yo have a crosswind on that final landing into a headwind boom it's the tip stall spiral of death especially on five thousands seen it a few times at my field actually three times

Guys flying five thousands and dumping it either on final or dumping it on initial rotation take off into headwind turn with wind .... Gear down takeoff flaps deployed and boom dead ....

My trick thus far is take off ...

Gradual climbout gear up immediately no flaps needed keep it flat with rudder then tear up the sky on landing I deploy flaps on final approach not base turn ease off throttle level down and flair

Which is why I'll try to stick with 3300 to 4000 mAh battery's

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post
                                        Quick question. I have 6 flights on the HP F-5 and absolutely love it. I just noticed on the build table and during taxi the nose gear seems to have a lot of forward to aft play/slop. More than my three other Freewing EDF’s by a notable amount. I might need to get video of it for a visual. The slop appears to be in the nose gear retract mechanism, not the strut itself. It’s not posing any sort of an issue at this point, but I’m curious if this is consistent with others?
                                        Thanks!
                                        Take a close look at the strut if it's not flush in mount they do that

When you see what in talking about you might notice a gap

Tighten that sucker up

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post

It's not the same yaw as say rudder but for me it's like the nose gets mushy on the final turn ....

That long door is flapping away plus the front wheel is creating drag and on this one if you don't get it right and yo have a crosswind on that final landing into a headwind boom it's the tip stall spiral of death especially on five thousands seen it a few times at my field actually three times

Guys flying five thousands and dumping it either on final or dumping it on initial rotation take off into headwind turn with wind .... Gear down takeoff flaps deployed and boom dead ....

My trick thus far is take off ...

Gradual climbout gear up immediately no flaps needed keep it flat with rudder then tear up the sky on landing I deploy flaps on final approach not base turn ease off throttle level down and flair

Which is why I'll try to stick with 3300 to 4000 mAh battery's
                                          I am fully configured by late downwind. Flaps 80°, gear down, nose pitched down with less than 30% throttle and 8,400mah of 6s power on board.

The trick to not stalling, wingtip stall or otherwise is AOA. Let the nose drop to 5 to 7°ish, and you'll never exceed AOA on the leading edge of your lifting surface.

If you land this bird like a Mirage 2000 or F-16 with a nose high attitude, during your base turn and final approach then you're playing with fire. It's flight characteristics are more inline with that of a straight wing than a delta, as such your base and final should be nose down pitch attitude until your round out in ground effect.

Whether I have 4,000 or 8,400mahs on board, my landing approach is the most relaxing part of the flight, it's a non event.

Comment

Working...
                                          X