Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true. We just can't leave well enough alone. Right now I'm contemplating making mine a Mig-28. ;)
    Pat

Comment

The F-5 has been transformed.... The new FMS 80mm Fan combo is lighter than stock and requires very little work to make fit in the F-5... It is a missile now!! take a look...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

This is a sweet jet. Definitely on my list once I actually get proficient with my trainers.

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
          The F-5 has been transformed.... The new FMS 80mm Fan combo is lighter than stock and requires very little work to make fit in the F-5... It is a missile now!! take a look...

Very nice!
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

My new FW 80mm is going to get this scheme:

http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...uke-afb-ha3320

Comment

Originally posted by GPJ View Post
              My new FW 80mm is going to get this scheme:

http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...uke-afb-ha3320
              Wow I really like that! Good stuff!!
              I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Here is my grassworthy landing gear mod for the F-5. It worked well on poorly mown grass. Speaking of flying off grass, which is what I do; here is my grassworthy gear mod for not so smooth grass.
                1. Two 60mm wheels from the FW Super Scorpion parts menu.
                2. Nose gear strut from same menu Sup. Scorpion. Fits F5 nose rod gear servo well.
                3. Use the F5 main wheel for the nose wheel (45mm). Fits Super Scorpion gear strut.
                4. Use the F5 nose axle in the Super Scorpion strut. It is a pain to remove and replace with the c clip on the axle.
                5. Elongate the nose gear bay forward a little.
                6. Cookie cutter to enlarge the main wheel bays.
                7. Angle of attack adjust if needed after plane assembled.
                Here is a photo of the new gear with the original wheels adjacent. I have not done the carving foam yet.
                I know, “Scale, scale, scale.” To this I say with humor—“Scale? We don’t need no stinking scale. We are flyers.”

Comment

Here are some photos and discussion of the maiden on grass for the F-5.
                  I maidened my FW F-5 yesterday off grass with the landing gear modification I reported on previously. Our grass is dormant Bermuda grass with clumps of weed grass pretty gnarley.
                  The gear is the same size as the FW Super Scorpion and had no problem. Rotated in about 100 feet or so. I will attach the YouTube video hopefully.
                  I used the forward CG recommendation for the maiden without problems. I may move it back gradually. I did not have enough flap throw and landed too fast, but got her down uninjured. The next flight landed fine with more flaps. I used the Admiral 6S 4000mAh 40C battery. Had plenty of power with stock setup. I did place a 3mm thick square under the nose gear retract to increase angle of attack.
                  I will attach photos of CG area (I used the forward site at the screw I placed), the gear modification, and the neutral setting of the elevator after trimming.
                  Here are my maiden throws: 30% expo on all was ok. 50% on rudder.
                  Aileron 10mm was plenty.
                  Elevator 22mm nearest the fuselage was good.
                  Rudder 10mm.
                  Take off flaps 15mm, no elevator mix worked well. Rotated no problem.
                  Landing flaps 30mm with 2mmdown elevator. 30mm flaps worked well the second flight. Any less was not enough on maiden. I may increase it as I go. These are measured nearest to fuselage.
                  She is a fun plane.Images

View all Images in thread

Comment

Maiden F-5 on gnarly grass video.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Here are some photos and discussion of the maiden on grass for the F-5.
                      I maidened my FW F-5 yesterday off grass with the landing gear modification I reported on previously. Our grass is dormant Bermuda grass with clumps of weed grass pretty gnarley.
                      The gear is the same size as the FW Super Scorpion and had no problem. Rotated in about 100 feet or so. I will attach the YouTube video hopefully.
                      I used the forward CG recommendation for the maiden without problems. I may move it back gradually. I did not have enough flap throw and landed too fast, but got her down uninjured. The next flight landed fine with more flaps. I used the Admiral 6S 4000mAh 40C battery. Had plenty of power with stock setup. I did place a 3mm thick square under the nose gear retract to increase angle of attack.
                      I will attach photos of CG area (I used the forward site at the screw I placed), the gear modification, and the neutral setting of the elevator after trimming.
                      Here are my maiden throws: 30% expo on all was ok. 50% on rudder.
                      Aileron 10mm was plenty.
                      Elevator 22mm nearest the fuselage was good.
                      Rudder 10mm.
                      Take off flaps 15mm, no elevator mix worked well. Rotated no problem.
                      Landing flaps 30mm with 2mmdown elevator. 30mm flaps worked well the second flight. Any less was not enough on maiden. I may increase it as I go. These are measured nearest to fuselage.
                      She is a fun plane.Images

View all Images in thread
                      Is that the correct neutral position for elevator?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBC View Post

Is that the correct neutral position for elevator?
                        Dave,

Yes, that's correct. The leading edge of the stab should be lined up with the top of the servo pocket, just like in the pic.
                        Pat

Comment

I just got my F 5, I am just starting install my radio. While attempting to bind the BEC starts beeping and increases it’s beeping rate when binding is complete. Changing batteries 6 cell 4000 and 5000 mah, make no difference. Any ideas on what I am dealing with? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Tr8mp76137 View Post
                            I just got my F 5, I am just starting install my radio. While attempting to bind the BEC starts beeping and increases it’s beeping rate when binding is complete. Changing batteries 6 cell 4000 and 5000 mah, make no difference. Any ideas on what I am dealing with? Thank you
                            that is the esc. It is beeping because the throttle range has not been set.Once the plane is bound then unplug the battery. Center trims on throttle and then go to full throttle. Plug plane back in. Wait for a couple beeps (only about 2-3 seconds) and then pull throttle all the way to idle. It will then give a confirmation beep followed by 6 beeps stating that it is a 6 cell pack... thats it!

Comment

Picked up a F-5 yesterday. Can't wait to go flying.
                              Intagram, YouTube, RCAfterhours

Comment

I did the maiden on my friends F-5 and need 0 trim , cg was right on per manual. He has many of the Freewing jets but this one really scoots along . Landing was pretty simple with it. I should of took video of it

Comment

My flight from yesterday. FMS 12 blade fan with 2000kv motor and battery is a 6s 30c 5000mah... it moves.... FAST!!! Take a look...

Comment

Just wondering is the plane hard to land? Judging from videos it seems the plane lands really hot, so just wondering how much space will I need to land this plane?

Comment

She’s not too bad really. Our grass field is about 450’. But the normal approach calls for clearing some tall trees so it’s near impossible to hit the apron . I drop full flaps just before crossing the tree line and land about 100-150’ from the apron going fairly slow yet still barely on the throttle.

I rarely consume the the entire length. Usually about 3/4 until full stop.
                                      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                        My flight from yesterday. FMS 12 blade fan with 2000kv motor and battery is a 6s 30c 5000mah... it moves.... FAST!!! Take a look...

So far I'm really liking my A10. I'm looking to get a couple more, thinking the F86 80mm and F16 70mm

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                          She’s not too bad really. Our grass field is about 450’. But the normal approach calls for clearing some tall trees so it’s near impossible to hit the apron . I drop full flaps just before crossing the tree line and land about 100-150’ from the apron going fairly slow yet still barely on the throttle.

I rarely consume the the entire length. Usually about 3/4 until full stop.
                                          Could I get a measurement for full flaps? And what would you judge the landing speed to be?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X