Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SanExup
    replied
    Ha! Now I'm going to spend the day looking for the witch on a broom motif. Or a trout agressor camouflage. Happy flying!

Leave a comment:

• JP-4203
    replied
    Originally posted by SanExup View Post
    JP-4203 It looks great JP! Out of curiousity , do you know what the significance of the goose is? I've seen it used on other fighter aircraft from other countries but couldn't really find a definitive significance.
    Yes, actually, it is a white swan - symbolizing intuitiveness, strength, speed and defense - if it gets aggressed by someone, it is fast and biting back with its beak! Swiss Air Force fighter squadrons most have typical animals like tiger, panther, falcon, eagle, sharks, bulls, etc. in their badge but ancient squadrons created some funny stuff like swordfish, trout, crane bird, cat or even a flying witch on her broomstick...

Leave a comment:

• SanExup
    replied
    JP-4203 It looks great JP! Out of curiousity , do you know what the significance of the goose is? I've seen it used on other fighter aircraft from other countries but couldn't really find a definitive significance.

Leave a comment:

• JP-4203
    replied
    hi guys, recently someone asked about alternative Swiss Air Force color schemes - I just finished repainting a US NAVY aggressor Tiger with the scheme of Swiss Air Force Fighter Squadron 19 F-5 the J-3038 even got a special paint of its squadron badge on the vertical stabilizer. By the way, with us in Switzerland, around 26 of the Tiger F-5E (single) and F5-F (double seater) are still in service for our Swiss Air Force utilized as aggressors. They are mostly flown by (aged...) militia pilots who flew the Tiger during their compulsory militia military services but most of them were following an "ordinary" profession as a banker, butcher, medical doctor, consultant, etc...

have a look...
    cheers
    JP

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Had some F-5s flying over my house the last couple weeks.... will be sharing the videos and pix when I get them up.

Leave a comment:

• Race 22 Crew
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EEC3A726-240D-4200-A27B-0D4C2327D9A5.jpeg
Views:	629
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	295889Click image for larger version

Name:	1C3A6227-4D78-4AB5-8999-0538580AA3C6.jpeg
Views:	617
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	295888 Thanks, originally saw this scheme on a Revel model. Was lucky enough to find a “new” kit. Used the plastic models decals for Callie to work from. But it is an actual paint scheme.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by Race 22 Crew View Post

Name:	719C0F12-1A2B-4BFF-9604-A867B8E5427E.jpeg
Views:	642
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	295395Click image for larger version

Name:	6997001D-8176-41A5-A971-F4BE518DF28E.jpeg
Views:	656
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	295394Click image for larger version

Name:	A97783FF-D0EA-44AA-ACE8-196B1EC9FDDB.jpeg
Views:	680
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	295393 Well, other then receiver install/radio set up she is finally done. Took a bit longer then I thought it would for a quick rattle can repaint. Happy with how it turned out. Just waiting for some warmer days for the test flights.
    Graphics are from Callie Graphics. I’ll be putting together a video of the build process for my YouTube channel.

Makeover complete.
    Before - tan camo
    After - Luke AFB 58th Tactical Fighter Wing
    Looks great! That is what I remember seeing when I was watching the documentary on the plane many years ago...

Leave a comment:

• Race 22 Crew
    replied

Name:	719C0F12-1A2B-4BFF-9604-A867B8E5427E.jpeg
Views:	642
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	295395Click image for larger version

Name:	6997001D-8176-41A5-A971-F4BE518DF28E.jpeg
Views:	656
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	295394Click image for larger version

Name:	A97783FF-D0EA-44AA-ACE8-196B1EC9FDDB.jpeg
Views:	680
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	295393 Well, other then receiver install/radio set up she is finally done. Took a bit longer then I thought it would for a quick rattle can repaint. Happy with how it turned out. Just waiting for some warmer days for the test flights.
    Graphics are from Callie Graphics. I’ll be putting together a video of the build process for my YouTube channel.

Makeover complete.
    Before - tan camo
    After - Luke AFB 58th Tactical Fighter Wing

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Excellent! Nice scheme there.
    BTW I have been flying mine recently with a (ZEEE) 4000 pack. Before now (and the crash) it was always with a 5000 pack, I had thunder power packs that weigh 1 lb 12 oz, not really heavy but not light either, anyway the much lighter packs are fun to fly and I only have to reduce my flight time by 30 seconds. It flew great on the 5000 but it is definitely more fun lighter.

Leave a comment:

• Race 22 Crew
    replied

Name:	3E48AD03-7B91-4E82-B4FE-BECC3FBE86DC.jpeg
Views:	735
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	292450Click image for larger version

Name:	6733670D-9B2E-497D-A158-AC5979711914.jpeg
Views:	744
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	292449 What better for the new year then a new project? Waiting on Callie Graphics to finish it off. Looking forward to flying this one. I felt the need for speed.

Leave a comment:

• Quickstop
    replied
    Just take a sample to home depot and have them match it, usually very close to perfect. Get the sample size around $3, enough for dozens of repairs

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Does anyone have a paint color match for the Swiss scheme red? The red is kind of funny. I pancaked mine into the weeds pulling out of a fairly high speed dive, too bad the hill there wasn't 3' lower, full up wasn't quite enough. Anywhoo, a replacement fuselage and cockpit will have me airborne again in no time. Wings and stabs were not damaged. But the cockpit section was only available in camo.

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Visiting thread after a long absence. I actually have a note in mine "high alpha landing with T/O flaps, land flat with full flaps" so basically it lands differently with the two flap positions. My landing full flaps are aggressive and T/O flaps minimal.

Leave a comment:

• deadbug
    replied
    Originally posted by DForbes View Post
    OK, will try adding a bit more flap and lead with more power and see what it does. I am chopping power a bit and trying to feather the throttle when close to the ground but I notice once I am close to the ground it doesn't matter as it wants to land now LOL.
    Yep...I think you hit the nail on the head with your issue. If you chopped your power before you started bringing the nose up to start the flare it usually will do as you describe. Only exception is if you carry more speed. This is a high-wing loaded airplane, particularly with heavier batteries...wont float like an F-86/Mig-17.

iIt isn’t your flap settings, it’s how you fly the final descent and corresponding power management prior to and during the flare with this particular EDF.

Leave a comment:

• DForbes
    replied
    Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I tried alot of flaps on mine and didn't like the way it flew, I ended up going with less flaps as well, to me it just lands better with less flaps, I flew mine a whole lot too, great jet but I sold it, sorry I don't remember my settings but I know it was very little like 30mm or less.
    This confirms what I am thinking, thanks! Yeah I will try both approaches and see what happens. I have a feeling that less flap might do it but this plane has been surprising me so who knows.

Leave a comment:

• DForbes
    replied
    Originally posted by deadbug View Post
    I set both positions to book value minus 10mm. That gave me 35mm for TO flaps; and 55mm for LDG flaps. I also use heavy batteries (790-825 grams). Sometimes I have pretty minimal flare, bit mostly have pretty nice, but short flares. The secret is what kind of descent rate (angle) you have on short final and then, based on that, how and when you pull the power.

I've found that carrying or adding a little power (definitely not chopping the power on final) in the flare is critical to on-speed nice flares with a heavy F-5, particularly with full flaps. When I used TO flaps for landing, the speed was noticeably harder to dissipate, and the rollout much longer. Our club field is 400’ paved.
    OK, will try adding a bit more flap and lead with more power and see what it does. I am chopping power a bit and trying to feather the throttle when close to the ground but I notice once I am close to the ground it doesn't matter as it wants to land now LOL.

Leave a comment:

• DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by DForbes View Post
    What are you guys setting landing flaps at? I have mine set to about 45mm and it drops like a rock which is good and bad. The good part is I can place it where I want it with some precision which is important where I fly as I can run out of room pretty quick if not careful. The bad is I am having a tough time with flaring and tend to bounce a bit. I am thinking landing flaps should be about 30-35mm?
    I tried alot of flaps on mine and didn't like the way it flew, I ended up going with less flaps as well, to me it just lands better with less flaps, I flew mine a whole lot too, great jet but I sold it, sorry I don't remember my settings but I know it was very little like 30mm or less.

Leave a comment:

• deadbug
    replied
    I set both positions to book value minus 10mm. That gave me 35mm for TO flaps; and 55mm for LDG flaps. I also use heavy batteries (790-825 grams). Sometimes I have pretty minimal flare, bit mostly have pretty nice, but short flares. The secret is what kind of descent rate (angle) you have on short final and then, based on that, how and when you pull the power.

I've found that carrying or adding a little power (definitely not chopping the power on final) in the flare is critical to on-speed nice flares with a heavy F-5, particularly with full flaps. When I used TO flaps for landing, the speed was noticeably harder to dissipate, and the rollout much longer. Our club field is 400’ paved.

Leave a comment:

• DForbes
    replied
    What are you guys setting landing flaps at? I have mine set to about 45mm and it drops like a rock which is good and bad. The good part is I can place it where I want it with some precision which is important where I fly as I can run out of room pretty quick if not careful. The bad is I am having a tough time with flaring and tend to bounce a bit. I am thinking landing flaps should be about 30-35mm?

Leave a comment:

• John Bergsmith
    replied
    I'll have to measure, but I use some flaps for take off as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X