X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

When I had my F-5 it was horrible on tracking down the runway, I tightened everything on them too, it was better but still a problem, I then switched out the foam wheels to rubber wheels and that solved my problem, the foam wheels weren't getting any traction I guess, the rubber ones worked great.
    That can be part of it. Once I got all of the things I mentioned tightened the plane tracked perfect. All surfaces are not the same though. It depends on what you fly from.
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• yeah it's the grub screw that holds the shaft. I really don't know by vocabulary :D And thanks I'll try the Loctite you recommended, see what happens. I've gotten about 20 flights on the f5 as of now and I've had to tighten the screws so many damn times it's getting a little annoying. Also as long as the wheels are tightened the tracking is fine for mine, so I don't think the tires are the issue.

Comment

• Subscribed. I just got my F-5 in the Swiss scheme. I think I’ve seen gooniac33 fly his enough times that I just had to have one too! I may have to order one of those FMS fans, I want to use my 6s 5000 packs and that would offset the weight of the bigger packs. On my 90mm FW F-104 an FMS fan upgrade made a huge improvement, much lighter, better performance, a more efficient fan. It sounds like this may be the case with the F-5 also. I also have an 8s Stumax 80mm fan that was in a fiberglass Habu. That would be a ripper in the F-5! Not too keen on 2 minute flights though. Gotta fly it stock first. See you at the field!

Comment

• How many amps does the FMS 80mm 2000kv fan pull? Is the stock 80A ESC capable?

Comment

• Hm, FMS website says it can pull 98A.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
              So the "little black thing" you're talking about is called a grub screw. If they do not have a thread locker applied at the factory, then yes they can come loose after just a few flights and is nothing unusual. Landing gear tightness is something I usually check during pre-flight when I put the gear down after arriving at the flying field.

The fix is to use a small amount of Loctite to secure the grub screws in place. CAUTION! Loctite will degrade plastic, so make sure you only use it on metal to metal applications (should be fine for all landing gear). You want to get the Loctite Thread Locker Blue 242.

If you need to remove the grub screws in the future, take a soldering iron and heat up the grub screw for a minute to loosen the thread locker, and then it should come out.
              I've always found that with the blue loctite you can always break it loose with moderate torque, usually you only need heat for the more permanent ones like the red loctite

Comment

• I've stripped the heads on several grubs screws with only blue thread locker. Now I heat them up first. Can't hurt.
                Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
                  How many amps does the FMS 80mm 2000kv fan pull? Is the stock 80A ESC capable?
                  They use a power supply to test which I don't like. But it does show what the set up can do. realistically the fan pulls 80-90amps depending on the battery. That is within the burst range of the stock ESC and I have seen a friend use the stock with no issues. However I think its best to go up to a 100amp just to be safe. I did that with mine.
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    I've stripped the heads on several grubs screws with only blue thread locker. Now I heat them up first. Can't hurt.
                    Ever since I bought a fancy set of hex drivers, no more problems with stripped grub screws Click image for larger version

Name:	dtxr0292-01b.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	177096

Comment

• Thanks gooniac33, I agree. Mine is ready to fly with the stock fan. Waiting for better weather!

Comment

• Maidened the F-5 today. Got 6 flights in at LFE. First 5 in dead calm. Fantastic little jet. All stock with a variety of 6s 5000mAh packs. Four minute flights coming down with 35% or better. CG on aft seam of wing bolt plastic plate. Very stable, pretty fast, can slow down too, great climb, good power stock. Most takeoffs were with 1/2 flaps, rotates easily. Tried flaps up takeoff, needed full up to unstick and then it jumped into the air, so I much prefer takeoff with flaps. Landings were all 1/2 flaps. no issues, needed to mix down elevator into flaps, not much 1 and 1 1/2mm but without it I was having to push the nose down (on the first landing). I did power on and power off landings, both with ease. Mine does want to balloon with throttle off, 20% to 100% throttle it is in trim but if I cut power completely when in flight and cleaned up it starts a gentle climb and gets too slow. A little strange, maybe a CG thing but honestly I like the CG right where it is. I don't want to mix down elevator into throttle off so I'll live with it. Very little down needed for inverted flight and it knife edges pretty well. And did I mention that it is beautiful in the air! And that it flies like it's on rails? I love this little hot rod!

Comment

• Comment

Maidened the F-5 today. Got 6 flights in at LFE. First 5 in dead calm. Fantastic little jet. All stock with a variety of 6s 5000mAh packs. Four minute flights coming down with 35% or better. CG on aft seam of wing bolt plastic plate. Very stable, pretty fast, can slow down too, great climb, good power stock. Most takeoffs were with 1/2 flaps, rotates easily. Tried flaps up takeoff, needed full up to unstick and then it jumped into the air, so I much prefer takeoff with flaps. Landings were all 1/2 flaps. no issues, needed to mix down elevator into flaps, not much 1 and 1 1/2mm but without it I was having to push the nose down (on the first landing). I did power on and power off landings, both with ease. Mine does want to balloon with throttle off, 20% to 100% throttle it is in trim but if I cut power completely when in flight and cleaned up it starts a gentle climb and gets too slow. A little strange, maybe a CG thing but honestly I like the CG right where it is. I don't want to mix down elevator into throttle off so I'll live with it. Very little down needed for inverted flight and it knife edges pretty well. And did I mention that it is beautiful in the air! And that it flies like it's on rails? I love this little hot rod!
                            Glad to see you like it! Yours is for sure prettier than mine! But I think I am still gonna be faster....We gotta try that out some time! LOL

Comment

• We'll put it to a vote, fast , or pretty ;)

Comment

• Got a bunch more flights on my F-5 and really loving it. I like it so much that I ordered the FMS 80mm fan combo for it. Funny way of thinking really, it flies so well stock that I think it is worth the upgrade. I've seen it fly with the FMS too. I'll have to pick out a 100A ESC to have some headroom. Anybody want to suggest a nice light 6s 100A ESC? I'll run a separate CC 10A BEC.

Comment

Got a bunch more flights on my F-5 and really loving it. I like it so much that I ordered the FMS 80mm fan combo for it. Funny way of thinking really, it flies so well stock that I think it is worth the upgrade. I've seen it fly with the FMS too. I'll have to pick out a 100A ESC to have some headroom. Anybody want to suggest a nice light 6s 100A ESC? I'll run a separate CC 10A BEC.
                                  Get a light 5000 pack and prepare to be amazed... I use a 6s 30c 5000mah in my FMS powered F-5 and its a rocketship. Not sure if you have seen it but it moves! I have flown with 40c, 55c and 60c 4000 packs as well but the 30c 5000 out performs them all. Roaring Top and Hobby Star make some really light packs as well...

Also I used a plush 100amp esc from Hobby King in mine

Comment

• Thanks. Yes, yours is the one I have seen and yes it blew my mind! I basically want what you got. Good job on that BTW. I ordered Hobby Star 5200 45C packs yesterday they are light. I flew with the stock fan today, heavier 6s 80C TP packs. Fly for four minutes and landed with 40%. So it is not a power hog. I agree that lower C rated packs will be fine in this one. I have some smaller HK Plush ESC's and they work well so that sounds good.

Comment

• I just ordered a Plush, it comes with BEC, do you use the onboard BEC in yours or a separate BEC?

Comment

I just ordered a Plush, it comes with BEC, do you use the onboard BEC in yours or a separate BEC?
                                        I use a separate.. I don't ever trust on boards...lost my first F-5 to that...

Comment

• Keep up the good work and advice Gooniac33... I have had my F-5 for about 3 1/2 years now, I have another one that I am modifying to a F-5b or a t-38. I am thinking about going with the fan swap to the FMS like you suggest since it's already in the shop. I started with a brand jet in the Swiss scheme since I plan on a new paint job anyway, didn't want to deal with the all painted version.
                                          My Hangar inventory FW 90 mm hp F-15, FW 90 mm F-104, FW 90 mm T-45, FW 80 70mm F-5, FW 80 mm Scorpion, 70 mm V2 Z Rebel, F-8 Bearcat and a stable of T-28, white and Orange and yellow

Comment

Working...
                                          X