X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Apache Jets View Post
    Keep up the good work and advice Gooniac33... I have had my F-5 for about 3 1/2 years now, I have another one that I am modifying to a F-5b or a t-38. I am thinking about going with the fan swap to the FMS like you suggest since it's already in the shop. I started with a brand jet in the Swiss scheme since I plan on a new paint job anyway, didn't want to deal with the all painted version.
    I've done a few fan/motor swaps now, but the single most effective one was the FMS fan on the F-5

Comment

• Thought I'd throw this on here for those who would like to increase the flight time on the 80mm F-5E. Hobbystar 4200mah 6s 40c's are incredibly light and with 8400mah's on board 6 minute flight times are the norm. Landing with 3.8volts per cell. If you prefer to fly her with the 4000mah 6s batteries, then maybe this isn't for you, but I can't tell the difference between a 5000mah 6s, and a pair of 4200mah's in the air.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post
        Thought I'd throw this on here for those who would like to increase the flight time on the 80mm F-5E. Hobbystar 4200mah 6s 40c's are incredibly light and with 8400mah's on board 6 minute flight times are the norm. Landing with 3.8volts per cell. If you prefer to fly her with the 4000mah 6s batteries, then maybe this isn't for you, but I can't tell the difference between a 5000mah 6s, and a pair of 4200mah's in the air.
        WOW never seen that much in there before. I am flying with the fms fan and using a 6s 30c 5000mah pack now. Have been getting 3-5 min flight times depending on how I am using the throttle. I am sure your plane likes the extra discharge rate as well!! Should be really good!
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

WOW never seen that much in there before. I am flying with the fms fan and using a 6s 30c 5000mah pack now. Have been getting 3-5 min flight times depending on how I am using the throttle. I am sure your plane likes the extra discharge rate as well!! Should be really good!
          Majority of the time I am flying at 3/4 throttle and doing more vertical maneuvers do to my limited flying area and the crazy wide turning radius of this bird. But when my timer goes off at 5:30, it's relaxing to know I've still got 3 to 4 go arounds left in the tank if I need them :)

Comment

it has a small wing so landings are reasonably fast. When mine had the stock fan landings were for sure hot. But once I changed to the FMS unit the landings were much better. Still faster than most but for sure slower than in stock format.
            Hi Gooniac
            I Need your help! I am flying the F5 with the 1680 FW inrunner and I am completely happy with Sound and performance from it (40C 6s battery pack, 648grams). My Problem is the Approach and landing in a very confined area with a 200 feet groomed grass Strip. I handle the Mirage 2000 just fine and cannot belief that there a pilots out there trying to tell you that the F5 was a ***** cat compared to the Mirage. The F5 Comes in hot most of the time as I try to avoid overbanking which, by the way, it sure doesn't like it. There seems to be a mystery surrounding the correct cg for the Swiss version (what is it in mm from the nozzles)? I am employing full flaps late crosswind (about 60mm) and still come in hot. I know, if I had a long enough final and a long runway, I would bring in this sucker home safely most of times, but not in a confined area such as ours. How can I improve on this Problem?

Thanks Gooniac for your feedback!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walo View Post

Hi Gooniac
              I Need your help! I am flying the F5 with the 1680 FW inrunner and I am completely happy with Sound and performance from it (40C 6s battery pack, 648grams). My Problem is the Approach and landing in a very confined area with a 200 feet groomed grass Strip. I handle the Mirage 2000 just fine and cannot belief that there a pilots out there trying to tell you that the F5 was a ***** cat compared to the Mirage. The F5 Comes in hot most of the time as I try to avoid overbanking which, by the way, it sure doesn't like it. There seems to be a mystery surrounding the correct cg for the Swiss version (what is it in mm from the nozzles)? I am employing full flaps late crosswind (about 60mm) and still come in hot. I know, if I had a long enough final and a long runway, I would bring in this sucker home safely most of times, but not in a confined area such as ours. How can I improve on this Problem?

If you can land the mirage easily then this one should be simpler. The problem with that set up is that it is heavy... When the plane is heavy its not all that easy... you just need to shoot some touch n goes to get used to it. The main problem is that when the plane gets slow the power plant can't react fast enough to get it out of trouble. the inrunner willbe an improvement over stock for sure... but the FMS is totally worth the effort and the weight savings make it much easier to handle...
              I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Hi Gooniac

Don't know if this will help, but I assume from your reference about the Mirage that you are landing the F-5 in a high alpha attitude. I use 80 degrees of flap, it looks almost 90 degrees straight down from the wings. My approach to final is pretty steep, about 25 degrees nose down, and I'm still dragging it in with a little power. It takes a little practice to get your sight picture down for a greaser everytime, but the transition is from 25 degrees pitch down to about 20 degrees pitch up with just the slightest reduction in throttle and you touch down at a nice controllable ground speed. I land on pavement and am able to turn without wingtip scrap with about a 100 ft of roll out. Grass should be even easier to show down. I fly it completely stock and with two Hobbystar 6s 4200 packs on board for a grand total of 8400mah in the gas tank, if you are comfortable with your rotation skills try to drag her in with FULL flaps, see how you like her, she's my 3rd favorite for landing, after the F-86, and the Venom, and I own almost all of FW's 80mm and 90mm EDF's, I find her to be easy to land.
                Attached Files

Comment

Don't know if this will help, but I assume from your reference about the Mirage that you are landing the F-5 in a high alpha attitude. I use 80 degrees of flap, it looks almost 90 degrees straight down from the wings. My approach to final is pretty steep, about 25 degrees nose down, and I'm still dragging it in with a little power. It takes a little practice to get your sight picture down for a greaser everytime, but the transition is from 25 degrees pitch down to about 20 degrees pitch up with just the slightest reduction in throttle and you touch down at a nice controllable ground speed. I land on pavement and am able to turn without wingtip scrap with about a 100 ft of roll out. Grass should be even easier to show down. I fly it completely stock and with two Hobbystar 6s 4200 packs on board for a grand total of 8400mah in the gas tank, if you are comfortable with your rotation skills try to drag her in with FULL flaps, see how you like her, she's my 3rd favorite for landing, after the F-86, and the Venom, and I own almost all of FW's 80mm and 90mm EDF's, I find her to be easy to land.
                  That is definitely a steep and advanced approach. Yes it can be done but I never recommend using that much flaps with this plane because it requires such a high throttle setting to keep in the air. The nose needs to be pointing at the ground or it will stall on you! Also with your higher than normal wing loading the flaps may not affect the plane quite as much as a lighter one will.

Comment

If you can land the mirage easily then this one should be simpler. The problem with that set up is that it is heavy... When the plane is heavy its not all that easy... you just need to shoot some touch n goes to get used to it. The main problem is that when the plane gets slow the power plant can't react fast enough to get it out of trouble. the inrunner willbe an improvement over stock for sure... but the FMS is totally worth the effort and the weight savings make it much easier to handle...
                    Thanks Gooniac
                    I will Keep trying until I get it right (providing the plane survives)! I may try a lighter battery pack for starters and see how it goes.

Comment

I learned the hard way that the F5 doesn't like high alpha as much as the Mirage does. The Problem is the final turn which must be in a slightly nose down attitude and with Little bank. At some point I have to raise the nose in order to slow the plane down and then stay in the power. With the flap setting you are suggesting, what will be the down Elevator mixing rate in % or mm?

Comment

I learned the hard way that the F5 doesn't like high alpha as much as the Mirage does. The Problem is the final turn which must be in a slightly nose down attitude and with Little bank. At some point I have to raise the nose in order to slow the plane down and then stay in the power. With the flap setting you are suggesting, what will be the down Elevator mixing rate in % or mm?
                        Delta wings like the mirage love high alpha, other wing types.... not so much.

Comment

That is definitely a steep and advanced approach. Yes it can be done but I never recommend using that much flaps with this plane because it requires such a high throttle setting to keep in the air. The nose needs to be pointing at the ground or it will stall on you! Also with your higher than normal wing loading the flaps may not affect the plane quite as much as a lighter one will.
                          I'd say it's a moderate approach, the F-5 makes it easy, I configure with full flaps on the downwind at about 1/3 throttle the plane slows nicely and as soon as she starts to descend I push forward on the stick and start my base turn. I don't worry about doing flat turns with rudder because the nose down attitude guarantees stall protection due to the greatly reduced AOA on the wings. I admit the turns are coordinated due to a little rudder aileron radio mix. This is one of the few planes that I actually do an actual landing pattern with, that is to say a separate base and final leg, why? Because the F-5 in a full flaps nose down pitch attitude is SO consistent! Wind or no wind it's needle like profile just cuts through it. I adjust power during my base and final turns, only if I have winds, but it's one of the few planes that I don't change to approach flap settings for higher winds. No wind or a good blow, I land her with flaps full. Most of my planes, especially jets I do one continuous turn from downwind, base and final. If there is a stout wind, I level her out parallel to the touchdown surface and reduce power, when she starts to sink I simply rotate her onto the mains. They did a whole lot of right with this bird, I can switch back from a single 5000mah to my dual 4200mah's alternating patterns and she is consistent. Lighter is always a better way to go from an aircraft performance stand point, but this bird, in my humble opinion, is so well designed, I've experienced no adverse affects flying her stock with as much as 8400mah on board. With the exception of a loss if vertical, I can't even perceive a faster landing approach, although I'm sure it is. I love her!

Comment

I have zero mix between the elevator and full 80 degrees of flap. I've slowed the transition time to a full 3 seconds but after keeping some forward pressure on the pitch stick to prevent ballooning during the flap movement, I can relax in the stick and she's perfectly balanced again. I hold forward pressure to keep her nose down during my base and final turns, but when I'm ready for touchdown all I do is slowly relax the stick to the sprung center position and the when I get my final descent started in ground effect I pull the nose gently up. If the majority of folks are flying her in high alpha attitudes for landing, then my 2 cents is, they're working too hard. The F-5 may have small wings, but it's a beautifully balanced design. Ole Chuck Yeager used to say aside from the F-15, the F-5 was his favorite, because it was such a great flyer, a really great designed airplane. With the liberties that freewing took with this model's airfoil to increase lift, she really is a sweetheart in my book.

Comment

I have zero mix between the elevator and full 80 degrees of flap. I've slowed the transition time to a full 3 seconds but after keeping some forward pressure on the pitch stick to prevent ballooning during the flap movement, I can relax in the stick and she's perfectly balanced again. I hold forward pressure to keep her nose down during my base and final turns, but when I'm ready for touchdown all I do is slowly relax the stick to the sprung center position and the when I get my final descent started in ground effect I pull the nose gently up. If the majority of folks are flying her in high alpha attitudes for landing, then my 2 cents is, they're working too hard. The F-5 may have small wings, but it's a beautifully balanced design. Ole Chuck Yeager used to say aside from the F-15, the F-5 was his favorite, because it was such a great flyer, a really great designed airplane. With the liberties that freewing took with this model's airfoil to increase lift, she really is a sweetheart in my book.
                              I hear what you are saying and it makes sense, providing you can handle the constant nose down pressure on final. I would probably battle with it as I am preferring nose down trim and holding the nose. Anyway, I have made small boundary fences out of balsa Wood and dialled in some up-aileron in order to simulate some washout. Maybe it will help in the turns at least. I will Keep you posted on the result once tested next week.

Comment

• tried out some new batteries on my FMS equipped F-5... 6s 40c 5000mah China Hobby Line Black series packs... WOW!! What a great match!!! The plane is even better than expected!

Comment

tried out some new batteries on my FMS equipped F-5... 6s 40c 5000mah China Hobby Line Black series packs... WOW!! What a great match!!! The plane is even better than expected!
                                  I got that email when they first came out and bought a couple but haven't flown them yet, great to hear they impress!

Comment

I got that email when they first came out and bought a couple but haven't flown them yet, great to hear they impress!
                                    Here's a video of the older pack (which still works great by the way just now starting to get warm after flights)

Here are the videos with the new ones...

Comment

• Korean version of the F-5. They are still on active duty. Never realized how far forward on the fuselage the center tank sits!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Korean version of the F-5. They are still on active duty. Never realized how far forward on the fuselage the center tank sits!
                                        I have been seeing the new VFC-111 schemes and I am considering doing my plane in that new scheme... It seems pretty simple and my plane really needs a make over! LOL

Comment

• Looks like the next plane to get a high performance version is the F5!

F-5 Tiger II Camo High Performance 80mm EDF Jet from Freewing - PNP - FJ20815P Version Info: This is the High Performance version of the Freewing F-5 Tiger II. As of 6/22/2023 this model now comes with the upgraded 3658-2150Kv inrunner brushless motor, a newly designed 12-Blade EDF, 100A ESC and hybrid metal gear servo

Comment

Working...
                                          X