Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would recommend Takeoff Flaps for takeoff. This would help reduce stall speed and help with low speed handling right after rotation. The F-5 is a high-wing loaded airframe. Flaps make a huge difference. I'm sure that would’ve made a difference once you were airborne.
    DB

Also, I'd suspect your stab-neutral position:I'm at the same CG and my stab neutral position...is leading edge of stab pointing at the upper aft corner of the servo cutout. With your setting, it is neutral with too much UP stab deflection!

Comment

• Thanks, I used flaps 0 for the maiden to have one less variable to worry about, I.e flaps causing pitch up or down etc before really knowing the plane. I programmed in the manual elevator adjustment but thought I’d take off clean. That said, I agree, next one will be with flaps.

i may have hrased it incorrectly, but my elevator was positioned where you have it. I just didn’t say it as nicely as you did

Comment

• Gently apply elevator to get it to lift off. When taking off with my F-18 I add just enough to get the nose wheel to start bouncing off the runway then it will lift off on its own. I try to keep the climb out no more than 20 deg to build speed. I raise gear and flaps as soon as possible and before the first turn.

Comment

• Been a long time since I posted anything - BUT - if I remember correcly a lot of technical stuff was removed from the F-5 to allow sales to other countries. South Vietnam, and maybe South Korea, got the F-5. At least a couple of choices for paint schemes. Maybe Switzerland???

Comment

• I'll have to measure, but I use some flaps for take off as well.

Comment

• What are you guys setting landing flaps at? I have mine set to about 45mm and it drops like a rock which is good and bad. The good part is I can place it where I want it with some precision which is important where I fly as I can run out of room pretty quick if not careful. The bad is I am having a tough time with flaring and tend to bounce a bit. I am thinking landing flaps should be about 30-35mm?

Comment

• I set both positions to book value minus 10mm. That gave me 35mm for TO flaps; and 55mm for LDG flaps. I also use heavy batteries (790-825 grams). Sometimes I have pretty minimal flare, bit mostly have pretty nice, but short flares. The secret is what kind of descent rate (angle) you have on short final and then, based on that, how and when you pull the power.

I've found that carrying or adding a little power (definitely not chopping the power on final) in the flare is critical to on-speed nice flares with a heavy F-5, particularly with full flaps. When I used TO flaps for landing, the speed was noticeably harder to dissipate, and the rollout much longer. Our club field is 400’ paved.

Comment

• Originally posted by DForbes View Post
                  What are you guys setting landing flaps at? I have mine set to about 45mm and it drops like a rock which is good and bad. The good part is I can place it where I want it with some precision which is important where I fly as I can run out of room pretty quick if not careful. The bad is I am having a tough time with flaring and tend to bounce a bit. I am thinking landing flaps should be about 30-35mm?
                  I tried alot of flaps on mine and didn't like the way it flew, I ended up going with less flaps as well, to me it just lands better with less flaps, I flew mine a whole lot too, great jet but I sold it, sorry I don't remember my settings but I know it was very little like 30mm or less.

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbug View Post
                    I set both positions to book value minus 10mm. That gave me 35mm for TO flaps; and 55mm for LDG flaps. I also use heavy batteries (790-825 grams). Sometimes I have pretty minimal flare, bit mostly have pretty nice, but short flares. The secret is what kind of descent rate (angle) you have on short final and then, based on that, how and when you pull the power.

I've found that carrying or adding a little power (definitely not chopping the power on final) in the flare is critical to on-speed nice flares with a heavy F-5, particularly with full flaps. When I used TO flaps for landing, the speed was noticeably harder to dissipate, and the rollout much longer. Our club field is 400’ paved.
                    OK, will try adding a bit more flap and lead with more power and see what it does. I am chopping power a bit and trying to feather the throttle when close to the ground but I notice once I am close to the ground it doesn't matter as it wants to land now LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I tried alot of flaps on mine and didn't like the way it flew, I ended up going with less flaps as well, to me it just lands better with less flaps, I flew mine a whole lot too, great jet but I sold it, sorry I don't remember my settings but I know it was very little like 30mm or less.
                      This confirms what I am thinking, thanks! Yeah I will try both approaches and see what happens. I have a feeling that less flap might do it but this plane has been surprising me so who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by DForbes View Post
                        OK, will try adding a bit more flap and lead with more power and see what it does. I am chopping power a bit and trying to feather the throttle when close to the ground but I notice once I am close to the ground it doesn't matter as it wants to land now LOL.
                        Yep...I think you hit the nail on the head with your issue. If you chopped your power before you started bringing the nose up to start the flare it usually will do as you describe. Only exception is if you carry more speed. This is a high-wing loaded airplane, particularly with heavier batteries...wont float like an F-86/Mig-17.

iIt isn’t your flap settings, it’s how you fly the final descent and corresponding power management prior to and during the flare with this particular EDF.

Comment

• Visiting thread after a long absence. I actually have a note in mine "high alpha landing with T/O flaps, land flat with full flaps" so basically it lands differently with the two flap positions. My landing full flaps are aggressive and T/O flaps minimal.

Comment

• Does anyone have a paint color match for the Swiss scheme red? The red is kind of funny. I pancaked mine into the weeds pulling out of a fairly high speed dive, too bad the hill there wasn't 3' lower, full up wasn't quite enough. Anywhoo, a replacement fuselage and cockpit will have me airborne again in no time. Wings and stabs were not damaged. But the cockpit section was only available in camo.

Comment

• Just take a sample to home depot and have them match it, usually very close to perfect. Get the sample size around $3, enough for dozens of repairs

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	3E48AD03-7B91-4E82-B4FE-BECC3FBE86DC.jpeg
Views:	729
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	292450Click image for larger version

Name:	6733670D-9B2E-497D-A158-AC5979711914.jpeg
Views:	738
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	292449 What better for the new year then a new project? Waiting on Callie Graphics to finish it off. Looking forward to flying this one. I felt the need for speed.

Comment

• Excellent! Nice scheme there.
                                  BTW I have been flying mine recently with a (ZEEE) 4000 pack. Before now (and the crash) it was always with a 5000 pack, I had thunder power packs that weigh 1 lb 12 oz, not really heavy but not light either, anyway the much lighter packs are fun to fly and I only have to reduce my flight time by 30 seconds. It flew great on the 5000 but it is definitely more fun lighter.

Comment

Name:	719C0F12-1A2B-4BFF-9604-A867B8E5427E.jpeg
Views:	636
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	295395Click image for larger version

Name:	6997001D-8176-41A5-A971-F4BE518DF28E.jpeg
Views:	650
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	295394Click image for larger version

Name:	A97783FF-D0EA-44AA-ACE8-196B1EC9FDDB.jpeg
Views:	673
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	295393 Well, other then receiver install/radio set up she is finally done. Took a bit longer then I thought it would for a quick rattle can repaint. Happy with how it turned out. Just waiting for some warmer days for the test flights.
                                    Graphics are from Callie Graphics. I’ll be putting together a video of the build process for my YouTube channel.

Makeover complete.
                                    Before - tan camo
                                    After - Luke AFB 58th Tactical Fighter Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by Race 22 Crew View Post
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	719C0F12-1A2B-4BFF-9604-A867B8E5427E.jpeg
Views:	636
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	295395Click image for larger version

Name:	6997001D-8176-41A5-A971-F4BE518DF28E.jpeg
Views:	650
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	295394Click image for larger version

Name:	A97783FF-D0EA-44AA-ACE8-196B1EC9FDDB.jpeg
Views:	673
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	295393 Well, other then receiver install/radio set up she is finally done. Took a bit longer then I thought it would for a quick rattle can repaint. Happy with how it turned out. Just waiting for some warmer days for the test flights.
                                      Graphics are from Callie Graphics. I’ll be putting together a video of the build process for my YouTube channel.

Makeover complete.
                                      Before - tan camo
                                      After - Luke AFB 58th Tactical Fighter Wing
                                      Looks great! That is what I remember seeing when I was watching the documentary on the plane many years ago...
                                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Name:	EEC3A726-240D-4200-A27B-0D4C2327D9A5.jpeg
Views:	623
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	295889Click image for larger version

Name:	1C3A6227-4D78-4AB5-8999-0538580AA3C6.jpeg
Views:	611
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	295888 Thanks, originally saw this scheme on a Revel model. Was lucky enough to find a “new” kit. Used the plastic models decals for Callie to work from. But it is an actual paint scheme.

Comment

• Had some F-5s flying over my house the last couple weeks.... will be sharing the videos and pix when I get them up.
                                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Working...
                                          X