First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by Priority Aviation View Post
    I joined this forum because I'm having an issue with the front gear in my brand new Freewing F-5. When I toggle my gear to deploy, the front gear door does not fully deploy. Instead, it rests against the front gear. As a result, hen I try to retract my gear, my front gear gets caught on the gear door and does not retract fully. Looking for a solution to this problem. Trying to make this a nice build...
    I got rid of the gear door entirely and put a 3d printed filler piece in instead. The bird always banked hard right on lift-off and it's due to the gear door. Got rid of the gear door and the problem went away.

Leave a comment:

• Priority Aviation
    replied
    I joined this forum because I'm having an issue with the front gear in my brand new Freewing F-5. When I toggle my gear to deploy, the front gear door does not fully deploy. Instead, it rests against the front gear. As a result, hen I try to retract my gear, my front gear gets caught on the gear door and does not retract fully. Looking for a solution to this problem. Trying to make this a nice build...

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

You were spot-on. I replaced the gear door with the 3d printed filler panel and she took off straight as an arrow this past weekend. Thank you x3 for the piece of wisdom and thanks to the mud duck for printing it for me...
    Glad it helped!! I still need to get mine printed!!

Leave a comment:

• Amahoser
    replied

what brand and model camera is that?
    Insta360 Go2. Surprisingly good quality for such a lightweight camera.

Jose

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by Amahoser View Post
    Nick took his F5 for a flight so I mounted a camera on it. Looks great with horizon lock mode!

Jose
    what brand and model camera is that?

Leave a comment:

• Amahoser
    replied
    Nick took his F5 for a flight so I mounted a camera on it. Looks great with horizon lock mode!

​​​​​​​Jose

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Its the nose gear door. I used flight modes to get rid of it on mine but Eventually just removed the door. I want to try the 3D printed insert for the gear since that should help clean it up a bit more. .

And just FYI mine rolled and yawed to the right with the gear door in place when gear was extended...
    You were spot-on. I replaced the gear door with the 3d printed filler panel and she took off straight as an arrow this past weekend. Thank you x3 for the piece of wisdom and thanks to the mud duck for printing it for me...

Leave a comment:

• paulrkytek
    replied
    Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Here‘s a photo, distance base (top) to axle is 6mm less compared to stock 80mm F-86 strut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8D1B0E40-8B8C-4DD6-A301-A68DC78A8668.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	344228
    Thanks, by the time I have added a longer pin and the larger wheel it should be bang on . If it all works ok I will post on F86 thread incase anyone else wants to do this.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Radar-Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
    I am looking to use the F5E trailing link mains for my F86 sabre but need to know the length of the oleos to ensure they will fit. Motion r.c wont give me the dimensions so can anyone out there measure one for me.
    Thanks

Paul
    Here‘s a photo, distance base (top) to axle is 6mm less compared to stock 80mm F-86 strut.

Name:	8D1B0E40-8B8C-4DD6-A301-A68DC78A8668.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	344228

Leave a comment:

• paulrkytek
    replied
    I am looking to use the F5E trailing link mains for my F86 sabre but need to know the length of the oleos to ensure they will fit. Motion r.c wont give me the dimensions so can anyone out there measure one for me.
    Thanks

Paul

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by Slice1969 View Post
    I goofed on that one. Here it is:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5278350
    thank you...

Leave a comment:

• Slice1969
    replied
    I goofed on that one. Here it is:

This is a replacement for the Freewing F-5 Nosegear door. It has a nosegear brace designed into it. Remove the existing door and spring, and glue this one in place. I used foamtac so that the door can be easily removed if needed. Print with the flat side down, with supports. I used custom support so that I didn't have to remove the support from the holes inside the brace. At 20% infill, it weighs the same as the stock door and spring.

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by Slice1969 View Post
    I recently purchase a lightly used F-5. I haven't had the chance to fly it yet due to weather, but I made a couple of mods that I 3d printed. I wanted to install a gyro, but wanted to keep it as far back as possible, but still be able to access the gains.

While setting everything up, I discovered how easily the nosegear door hinge pins break, so I designed a replacement that glues in place. It also has a nosegear brace designed into it. The weight is the same as the stock door and spring.

Hobby Eagle Gyro Bracket: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5278357/files

Nosegear door replacement: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5278357/files

Name:	IMG_3231.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	339355

Name:	IMG_3278M.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	339356
    can you post the thingverse file for the gear door again please...? the one above is a duplicate of the gyro mount file... (unless i missed something...)...

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Its the nose gear door. I used flight modes to get rid of it on mine but Eventually just removed the door. I want to try the 3D printed insert for the gear since that should help clean it up a bit more. .

And just FYI mine rolled and yawed to the right with the gear door in place when gear was extended...
    no sh*t...

i've been fighting that from day one, but what you said makes perfect sense. thanks for that tidbit. i can recenter my ailerons now... :)

also, looking forward to you F15 review. i have one i haven't flown yet but i'm anxious to now... may swap out the power as well...

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    My F5 banks right a bit on take-off. It's happening pretty consistently. Has anyone else had this issue? Is the solution to program a few degrees of left aileron into it to counter?
    Also, on battery position, if I push the battery / CG back a little, will this reduce its tendency to want to bounce when landing...?
    Any wisdom / tips on flying this would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Slice1969
    replied
    I finally got to maiden the new to me F-5. It's a great performing airplane, and was much more nimble at high speed than I expected.

I am using HRB 5000mah packs, with unlimited vertical. I was grinning ear to ear. Much more fun to fly than my Freewing F/A-18.

Leave a comment:

• MikeT
    replied
    NICE!
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• Czonio
    replied
    I converted my F-5 to a T-38 Talon. I made custom wheels and tires, intake, dual canopy, engine scoops and antennas.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Slice1969
    replied
    I recently purchase a lightly used F-5. I haven't had the chance to fly it yet due to weather, but I made a couple of mods that I 3d printed. I wanted to install a gyro, but wanted to keep it as far back as possible, but still be able to access the gains.

While setting everything up, I discovered how easily the nosegear door hinge pins break, so I designed a replacement that glues in place. It also has a nosegear brace designed into it. The weight is the same as the stock door and spring.

Hobby Eagle Gyro Bracket: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5278357/files

Nosegear door replacement: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5278357/files

Name:	IMG_3231.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	339355

Name:	IMG_3278M.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	339356

Leave a comment:

• Radar-Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Picardn View Post
    Where is everyone installing their receivers?
    Mine sits on a 3d printed tray between the intakes. Here's the file plus a file for a nose gear brace.

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	338918Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3812.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	338919

Leave a comment:

Working...
X