First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom
    replied
    Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

WOW never seen that much in there before. I am flying with the fms fan and using a 6s 30c 5000mah pack now. Have been getting 3-5 min flight times depending on how I am using the throttle. I am sure your plane likes the extra discharge rate as well!! Should be really good!
    Majority of the time I am flying at 3/4 throttle and doing more vertical maneuvers do to my limited flying area and the crazy wide turning radius of this bird. But when my timer goes off at 5:30, it's relaxing to know I've still got 3 to 4 go arounds left in the tank if I need them :)

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantom View Post
    Thought I'd throw this on here for those who would like to increase the flight time on the 80mm F-5E. Hobbystar 4200mah 6s 40c's are incredibly light and with 8400mah's on board 6 minute flight times are the norm. Landing with 3.8volts per cell. If you prefer to fly her with the 4000mah 6s batteries, then maybe this isn't for you, but I can't tell the difference between a 5000mah 6s, and a pair of 4200mah's in the air.
    WOW never seen that much in there before. I am flying with the fms fan and using a 6s 30c 5000mah pack now. Have been getting 3-5 min flight times depending on how I am using the throttle. I am sure your plane likes the extra discharge rate as well!! Should be really good!

Leave a comment:

• Phantom
    replied
    Thought I'd throw this on here for those who would like to increase the flight time on the 80mm F-5E. Hobbystar 4200mah 6s 40c's are incredibly light and with 8400mah's on board 6 minute flight times are the norm. Landing with 3.8volts per cell. If you prefer to fly her with the 4000mah 6s batteries, then maybe this isn't for you, but I can't tell the difference between a 5000mah 6s, and a pair of 4200mah's in the air.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Quickstop
    replied
    Originally posted by Apache Jets View Post
    Keep up the good work and advice Gooniac33... I have had my F-5 for about 3 1/2 years now, I have another one that I am modifying to a F-5b or a t-38. I am thinking about going with the fan swap to the FMS like you suggest since it's already in the shop. I started with a brand jet in the Swiss scheme since I plan on a new paint job anyway, didn't want to deal with the all painted version.
    I've done a few fan/motor swaps now, but the single most effective one was the FMS fan on the F-5

Leave a comment:

• Apache Jets
    replied
    Keep up the good work and advice Gooniac33... I have had my F-5 for about 3 1/2 years now, I have another one that I am modifying to a F-5b or a t-38. I am thinking about going with the fan swap to the FMS like you suggest since it's already in the shop. I started with a brand jet in the Swiss scheme since I plan on a new paint job anyway, didn't want to deal with the all painted version.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
    I just ordered a Plush, it comes with BEC, do you use the onboard BEC in yours or a separate BEC?
    I use a separate.. I don't ever trust on boards...lost my first F-5 to that...

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    I just ordered a Plush, it comes with BEC, do you use the onboard BEC in yours or a separate BEC?

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Thanks. Yes, yours is the one I have seen and yes it blew my mind! I basically want what you got. Good job on that BTW. I ordered Hobby Star 5200 45C packs yesterday they are light. I flew with the stock fan today, heavier 6s 80C TP packs. Fly for four minutes and landed with 40%. So it is not a power hog. I agree that lower C rated packs will be fine in this one. I have some smaller HK Plush ESC's and they work well so that sounds good.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Got a bunch more flights on my F-5 and really loving it. I like it so much that I ordered the FMS 80mm fan combo for it. Funny way of thinking really, it flies so well stock that I think it is worth the upgrade. I've seen it fly with the FMS too. I'll have to pick out a 100A ESC to have some headroom. Anybody want to suggest a nice light 6s 100A ESC? I'll run a separate CC 10A BEC.
    Get a light 5000 pack and prepare to be amazed... I use a 6s 30c 5000mah in my FMS powered F-5 and its a rocketship. Not sure if you have seen it but it moves! I have flown with 40c, 55c and 60c 4000 packs as well but the 30c 5000 out performs them all. Roaring Top and Hobby Star make some really light packs as well...

Also I used a plush 100amp esc from Hobby King in mine

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Got a bunch more flights on my F-5 and really loving it. I like it so much that I ordered the FMS 80mm fan combo for it. Funny way of thinking really, it flies so well stock that I think it is worth the upgrade. I've seen it fly with the FMS too. I'll have to pick out a 100A ESC to have some headroom. Anybody want to suggest a nice light 6s 100A ESC? I'll run a separate CC 10A BEC.

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    We'll put it to a vote, fast , or pretty ;)

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Maidened the F-5 today. Got 6 flights in at LFE. First 5 in dead calm. Fantastic little jet. All stock with a variety of 6s 5000mAh packs. Four minute flights coming down with 35% or better. CG on aft seam of wing bolt plastic plate. Very stable, pretty fast, can slow down too, great climb, good power stock. Most takeoffs were with 1/2 flaps, rotates easily. Tried flaps up takeoff, needed full up to unstick and then it jumped into the air, so I much prefer takeoff with flaps. Landings were all 1/2 flaps. no issues, needed to mix down elevator into flaps, not much 1 and 1 1/2mm but without it I was having to push the nose down (on the first landing). I did power on and power off landings, both with ease. Mine does want to balloon with throttle off, 20% to 100% throttle it is in trim but if I cut power completely when in flight and cleaned up it starts a gentle climb and gets too slow. A little strange, maybe a CG thing but honestly I like the CG right where it is. I don't want to mix down elevator into throttle off so I'll live with it. Very little down needed for inverted flight and it knife edges pretty well. And did I mention that it is beautiful in the air! And that it flies like it's on rails? I love this little hot rod!
    Glad to see you like it! Yours is for sure prettier than mine! But I think I am still gonna be faster....We gotta try that out some time! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Maidened the F-5 today. Got 6 flights in at LFE. First 5 in dead calm. Fantastic little jet. All stock with a variety of 6s 5000mAh packs. Four minute flights coming down with 35% or better. CG on aft seam of wing bolt plastic plate. Very stable, pretty fast, can slow down too, great climb, good power stock. Most takeoffs were with 1/2 flaps, rotates easily. Tried flaps up takeoff, needed full up to unstick and then it jumped into the air, so I much prefer takeoff with flaps. Landings were all 1/2 flaps. no issues, needed to mix down elevator into flaps, not much 1 and 1 1/2mm but without it I was having to push the nose down (on the first landing). I did power on and power off landings, both with ease. Mine does want to balloon with throttle off, 20% to 100% throttle it is in trim but if I cut power completely when in flight and cleaned up it starts a gentle climb and gets too slow. A little strange, maybe a CG thing but honestly I like the CG right where it is. I don't want to mix down elevator into throttle off so I'll live with it. Very little down needed for inverted flight and it knife edges pretty well. And did I mention that it is beautiful in the air! And that it flies like it's on rails? I love this little hot rod!

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Thanks gooniac33, I agree. Mine is ready to fly with the stock fan. Waiting for better weather!

Leave a comment:

• Quickstop
    replied
    Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
    I've stripped the heads on several grubs screws with only blue thread locker. Now I heat them up first. Can't hurt.
    Ever since I bought a fancy set of hex drivers, no more problems with stripped grub screws Click image for larger version

Name:	dtxr0292-01b.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	177096

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    How many amps does the FMS 80mm 2000kv fan pull? Is the stock 80A ESC capable?
    They use a power supply to test which I don't like. But it does show what the set up can do. realistically the fan pulls 80-90amps depending on the battery. That is within the burst range of the stock ESC and I have seen a friend use the stock with no issues. However I think its best to go up to a 100amp just to be safe. I did that with mine.

Leave a comment:

• crxmanpat
    replied
    I've stripped the heads on several grubs screws with only blue thread locker. Now I heat them up first. Can't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Quickstop
    replied
    Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
    So the "little black thing" you're talking about is called a grub screw. If they do not have a thread locker applied at the factory, then yes they can come loose after just a few flights and is nothing unusual. Landing gear tightness is something I usually check during pre-flight when I put the gear down after arriving at the flying field.

The fix is to use a small amount of Loctite to secure the grub screws in place. CAUTION! Loctite will degrade plastic, so make sure you only use it on metal to metal applications (should be fine for all landing gear). You want to get the Loctite Thread Locker Blue 242.

If you need to remove the grub screws in the future, take a soldering iron and heat up the grub screw for a minute to loosen the thread locker, and then it should come out.
    I've always found that with the blue loctite you can always break it loose with moderate torque, usually you only need heat for the more permanent ones like the red loctite

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Hm, FMS website says it can pull 98A.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X