Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husafreak
    replied
    How many amps does the FMS 80mm 2000kv fan pull? Is the stock 80A ESC capable?

Leave a comment:

• Husafreak
    replied
    Subscribed. I just got my F-5 in the Swiss scheme. I think I’ve seen gooniac33 fly his enough times that I just had to have one too! I may have to order one of those FMS fans, I want to use my 6s 5000 packs and that would offset the weight of the bigger packs. On my 90mm FW F-104 an FMS fan upgrade made a huge improvement, much lighter, better performance, a more efficient fan. It sounds like this may be the case with the F-5 also. I also have an 8s Stumax 80mm fan that was in a fiberglass Habu. That would be a ripper in the F-5! Not too keen on 2 minute flights though. Gotta fly it stock first. See you at the field!

Leave a comment:

• UnintetionalCrashTester
    replied
    yeah it's the grub screw that holds the shaft. I really don't know by vocabulary :D And thanks I'll try the Loctite you recommended, see what happens. I've gotten about 20 flights on the f5 as of now and I've had to tighten the screws so many damn times it's getting a little annoying. Also as long as the wheels are tightened the tracking is fine for mine, so I don't think the tires are the issue.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

When I had my F-5 it was horrible on tracking down the runway, I tightened everything on them too, it was better but still a problem, I then switched out the foam wheels to rubber wheels and that solved my problem, the foam wheels weren't getting any traction I guess, the rubber ones worked great.
    That can be part of it. Once I got all of the things I mentioned tightened the plane tracked perfect. All surfaces are not the same though. It depends on what you fly from.

Leave a comment:

• DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

There are two areas to tighten. The first is outside of the plane and easy to do with just simply lowering the gear. 2mm hex and you are done. The shaft is held by another screw though. You need to remove the retract and then tighten the screw inside of the retract that holds the shaft. there is a lil access area for this. 1.5mm hex needed for that. It would be a good idea to use thread lock there to prevent this from happening in the future as stated above. But the outside is not always the issue.
    When I had my F-5 it was horrible on tracking down the runway, I tightened everything on them too, it was better but still a problem, I then switched out the foam wheels to rubber wheels and that solved my problem, the foam wheels weren't getting any traction I guess, the rubber ones worked great.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by UnintetionalCrashTester View Post
    Alright well after about 5 flights I've noticed that the gear really do loosen up. On the 6th flight I was about to rotate when the plane suddenly veered right. Luckily it wasn't in the air yet so I quickly corrected left and was able to get off the ground. At this point I thought I had simply bumped the stick, but the plane also tilted right a lot on landing. Upon inspection I noticed the mains had a decent amount of play in them (the screws that hold the retract in weren't loose it was the little black thing that holds the shaft in the retract that was loose). I had tightened all the screws before the maiden, and I'm surprised the shaft is so loose after only 5 flights. Anyone else experiencing this? Also how can I fix the issue? Not sure if I want to use lock tight since it's a retract and I don't want to risk the stuff messing up the retract mechanism.
    There are two areas to tighten. The first is outside of the plane and easy to do with just simply lowering the gear. 2mm hex and you are done. The shaft is held by another screw though. You need to remove the retract and then tighten the screw inside of the retract that holds the shaft. there is a lil access area for this. 1.5mm hex needed for that. It would be a good idea to use thread lock there to prevent this from happening in the future as stated above. But the outside is not always the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Quickstop
    replied
    Originally posted by UnintetionalCrashTester View Post
    Alright well after about 5 flights I've noticed that the gear really do loosen up. On the 6th flight I was about to rotate when the plane suddenly veered right. Luckily it wasn't in the air yet so I quickly corrected left and was able to get off the ground. At this point I thought I had simply bumped the stick, but the plane also tilted right a lot on landing. Upon inspection I noticed the mains had a decent amount of play in them (the screws that hold the retract in weren't loose it was the little black thing that holds the shaft in the retract that was loose). I had tightened all the screws before the maiden, and I'm surprised the shaft is so loose after only 5 flights. Anyone else experiencing this? Also how can I fix the issue? Not sure if I want to use lock tight since it's a retract and I don't want to risk the stuff messing up the retract mechanism.
    Lock tite won’t mess up the mechanism unless you pour in in there, use just enough to coat the threads, should not be dripping with the stuff

Leave a comment:

• crxmanpat
    replied
    So the "little black thing" you're talking about is called a grub screw. If they do not have a thread locker applied at the factory, then yes they can come loose after just a few flights and is nothing unusual. Landing gear tightness is something I usually check during pre-flight when I put the gear down after arriving at the flying field.

The fix is to use a small amount of Loctite to secure the grub screws in place. CAUTION! Loctite will degrade plastic, so make sure you only use it on metal to metal applications (should be fine for all landing gear). You want to get the Loctite Thread Locker Blue 242.

If you need to remove the grub screws in the future, take a soldering iron and heat up the grub screw for a minute to loosen the thread locker, and then it should come out.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Well I maidened her today and I have to say the verdict does stand the jet does not land hot. Full flaps, a touch of up elevator, some throttle management/blipping, and she high alpha-ed straight in. Greased it on the first flight. Landed on grass (since my runway is basically a slightly wider sidewalk) so my wheels caught a bit of grass, and the front nose gear door got ripped out. No damage tho, so I just popped it back in. I'm a bit worried, however, as the door scratched up the bottom area of the nose, and long term that can't be good for the plane. Any idea how I can prevent this? Thinking about removing the door completely, but I really like the clean look of the plane with the door closed. Any way to secure the thing in? Also pat I felt that your CG was a bit nose heavy, I shifted it back and it felt a lot better. I would suggest moving it back about 5mm so it's pretty much in line with the back of the hard point for the screw. I liked it there.

Leave a comment:

• crxmanpat
    replied
    I don't know the measurement, but my CG is right near the front edge of the plastic cover you glue onto the bottom of the wing to cover the servo wiring. See the xacto knife in the pic.

Leave a comment:

replied
    What CG are ya’ll using?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think for the first landing i’ll mix in about 2mm down elevator and see what happens with full flaps. I’m usually pretty good at keeping a plane above stall speed, so we’ll see what happens. And i’m Landing on grass cuz my runway is pretty much a sidewalk lol

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    I have a buddy waiting to get one of these. Minor hangup on the other end I guess. But from the videos you posted, it looks really impressive.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Here is my flying from last weekend.

And these are from the previous weekend...

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
    Mine slows down just fine for landing. However, getting it to stop rolling on a paved runway is another story. :)
    exactly!!! It just goes and goes and goes...

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by OV10 View Post

:Confused: How did changing the power sys help reduce landing speed. :Thinking:
    The FMS power system is much lighter. So lower landing speed. I have flown the crap outta this plane! I don't know of anyone that has flown it more than I have on here. I just relay what I know and have learned from flying it over the last few years. It gets a lot of use!! I have seen many people kill the plane and I actually killed my first one due to an RX issue. This is not a plane you want to fly slowly and while the landings can be kept relatively slow it rolls like crazy when it does touch down.

Leave a comment:

• crxmanpat
    replied
    Mine slows down just fine for landing. However, getting it to stop rolling on a paved runway is another story. :)

Leave a comment:

• MOFO1
    replied
    The F-5 really doesn't need to come in that hot. The trick is to get the flap settings and elevator mix right and it will slow down. It is a great flying jet.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Lol getting mixed replies here, but 2/3 are saying the plane is not too bad, so I ended up pulling the trigger. Any tips reducing the hotness of the landings? Really not looking to swap power systems...does full flaps help any?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X