X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
    Here is a close up look at the drogue chute on Ivan's F-4 Phantom.
    Very nice! :)

Comment

• This is a short clip with a nice demonstration of the chute being deployed upon landing. Testing the "camera on a stick" method. Needs to get a little closer IMO.

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post

How did you install the nerf whistles? I have some but didn't really want to cut holes in the foam and they are all too long to install without cutting the bottom off of them.
        Hi prestonowtm,
        I have placed them just aft the EDF compartment (in the fuse) and indeed I have cut wholes in the foam. Took the two shorter NERFwhistles and they fit perfectly. Make sure that they are aligned properly in the airflow!

Comment

• Appreciate it. I will give it a go

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
            On a different note I use a Spektrum transmitter..setting up another plane today I noticed the V tail setting. Anyone tried using this on the F4?
            The downward canted horizontal stab on the F-4 does NOT work in any way similar to a traditional V-tail. It's canted downward because in stall testing of the prototype they found the wing was blanking the horizontal stab at high AOA's.

I true V-tail aircraft like the Bonanza has to use those tails as both elevator and rudder.

Comment

• My first flight Sunday was a little to fast on landing, hit a bump at the end of the runway and sheared the nose gear strut pin. Fortunately no other damage thanks to the grass. Going to try heat treating the new one when it gets here. Hopefully get rid of the brittle problem.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190320_085511.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	185325 ​​​​​Broke my second one this afternoon during a routine landing. Get a lot of collateral damage on Asphalt Runways. Bummer when it happens Working on my No. 2 F-4 with a modified LongNose Conversion Kit from RCGeek. Need to solve this problem before that one Rolls-Out !! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190319_180522.jpg Views:	45 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	185269Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190319_180523.jpg Views:	30 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	185270

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190320_085511.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	185325 ​​​​​Broke my second one this afternoon during a routine landing. Get a lot of collateral damage on Asphalt Runways. Bummer when it happens Working on my No. 2 F-4 with a modified LongNose Conversion Kit from RCGeek. Need to solve this problem before that one Rolls-Out !! Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190319_180522.jpg Views:	45 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	185269Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190319_180523.jpg Views:	30 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	185270
                  Try using the 1600mm Spitfire main axel. You will have to modify it a bit so it rotates freely by grinding down the larger end into a smaller dimension. See my post from earlier on the nose pin, post number 2619 on Oct 12th on page 131. The nose pin in the F4 is a hard metal that breaks instead of bending while the Spitfire axel is a slightly softer metal that will bend but never break, at least eliminating collateral damage. The axel will actually bend before the breaking point of the stock pin, but any hard nose landing will surely snap the stock pin off. Although I never broke one of the stock pins in my 2 F-4's, I replaced them anyway as I've done some detailing on the nose in one of them and did a blue angel in the other and the last thing I need is to skid down the runway on the nose. :Scared:
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Try using the 1600mm Spitfire main axel... .. last thing I need is to skid down the runway on the nose. :Scared:
                    Like I did yesterday !! Yes, it was unpleasant.

The NoseGear is subjected to a variety of Stressors on a typical outing not just from Landings, but steering corrections on the TakeOff roll, Landing Roll-Out, even wobbling around during transportation to the FlyingSite in the back of the Truck are putting Loads on that Pin along with the Rest of the attachment apparatus. Yesterday's landings were superb, the Roll-Outs were interesting with the crosswind (I would have thought the tires were going to roll sideways off of the rims from the lateral loads the Jet was absorbing on the coast down), but everything remained intact. Maybe these Load Factors are cumulative !! Maybe these FW F-14 pins need to be changed out regularly !! I don't know.

What I do know is, a Steel pin should be of sufficient strength and elasticity to endure these forces indefinitely !! Steel pins should not be breaking without a bunch of Foam and Mounting Material coming up through the Wings on this Jet.

Thanks, I'll probably try the Spitfire Axels next !! See if this is the solution. Bending would certainly be preferable to the Snapping.

Name:	336664as.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	185417

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
                      This is a short clip with a nice demonstration of the chute being deployed upon landing. Testing the "camera on a stick" method. Needs to get a little closer IMO.
                      That's awesome.

Comment

What I do know is, a Steel pin should be of sufficient strength and elasticity to endure these forces indefinitely !! Steel pins should not be breaking without a bunch of Foam and Mounting Material coming up through the Wings on this Jet.
                        I've had the same isue and broke at least three of the pins upon routine landings. I've replaced the pin with a hardened one called "Zylinderstift" (cylinder pin) here in Germany. On the top side a little slot has been grinded and a c-clip inserted to act as a collar. No more problems ever since.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC04115.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	185447Click image for larger version  Name:	cylinder pin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	185446

Comment

• Hey Y'all, I applied some of the 'big' graphics from Callie and the PH-4 is starting to look like the CAG's. I really like this part of the build when the airframe starts to take on some personality. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0108a.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	185484
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            Hey Y'all, I applied some of the 'big' graphics from Callie and the PH-4 is starting to look like the CAG's. I really like this part of the build when the airframe starts to take on some personality. Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0108a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	185484
                            Great job! Looks like a phantastic beast! I love it.

Comment

• Gorgeous Jet there LB ... Is it gonna be 'Too Pretty to Fly' ?? Hahahaha, .. .. I wanna be there when it does.

Comment

Gorgeous Jet there LB ... Is it gonna be 'Too Pretty to Fly' ?? Hahahaha, .. .. I wanna be there when it does.
                                LOL Thanks, APM and BBR, but there's no such thing as too pretty to fly, though Tammy said, similarly. I ask you, would you leave your new Ferrari in the garage? I think not. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LB, that looks gorgeous!

Comment

• I haven't broken a steel pin yet but have "bent" two of the retract unit jackscrews such that they tend to stall out the motor and gear will not extend or retract. I fly off of tarmac 100% and none of my landings visibly appear to stress the gear -- no bounces or stalling in. It happened to both my F-4 nosegear and also one of my F/L Corsair mains. All I can assume is that the wheel or oleo suffers a lot of drag stress and the trunnion momentarily "moves" with such force as to bend the jackscrew ? Tried to straighten but they are very nicely heat treated and also appear to be integral with the motor shaft so not replaceable. One "assumes" that if you are flying an F-4 you are proficient at landing so this pin must be very cheap steel.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                      LB, that looks gorgeous!
                                      RCJD, Thank you, ;) means a lot comin' from 'himself an award-winning "Champ"'. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee, that is sweet and I absolutely LOVE the rainbow effect on the business end. Very nice touch!!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Great job! :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                          X