Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to hear that, enjoy your retirement, there is alot of peple suffering from this virus thing thats for sure. Your F-4 looks awesome though, keep painting them, you got the talent....

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post

😆😂😝 GO BUCKS !
      Just wanted to show off my F4 repaint from last August.
      The Covid19 virus really changed things on my job. We lost alot of money. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_223910.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	264302
      So I retired from my job July 1st. Now what to do....paint more airplanes.
      Now you're talkin'. Who needs those pesky jobs, just gets in the way of having any RC fun! You definitely look more relaxed now William. Saw your F-4 in the March Madness contest, it definitely was one of the best, almost as nice as mine. Can't wait to see your next undertaking!
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• My clubmate Michael Troy owns (or has owned) just about every model in the MotionRC catalog. So when I bring camera gear to the field and he shows up, there are always some great models to shoot! Here are a few shots of his 90mm Freewing F-4 Phantom from this morning. I forgot what a great looking and flying model this was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bajora View Post
          My clubmate Michael Troy owns (or has owned) just about every model in the MotionRC catalog. So when I bring camera gear to the field and he shows up, there are always some great models to shoot! Here are a few shots of his 90mm Freewing F-4 Phantom from this morning. I forgot what a great looking and flying model this was.

Outstanding photographs!!!!
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Great shots ... totally capture the character of the Phantom.

Comment

• ^^^ THOSE PICS!! Wow.

Anyway - The wonderful 6S version arrived yesterday, decals on already! It's such a wonderful looking model. Now, I'm sure I've seen it here before, but struggled to find it with a thread search - what is the servo wire coming from the BEC for? Throttle from the ESC then another from the BEC with a round green thing on the cable?! Bit stumped on that and it doesn't feature in the manual.

Thanks

Comment

• The ESC does not have an internal BEC to power your receiver/ servos/ retracts/ lights. The separate BEC does that.

Comment

• Thanks Evan, seems like a silly question - where do I plug in that servo lead then?

Comment

• Oh, sorry... any empty receiver slot, can even be the bind slot in some receivers.

Comment

• AH ok! Hope so - else I won't have a free slot! Only on a 6 channel RX here...should work in th bind port. Thank you again!

Comment

• Seems like a silly question - but I'm just finishing the setup after getting this awesome plane through the post this week...

What does your neutral elevator look like INCLUDING the 8mm of up elevator? The picture in the manual does really say where that sits? Considering it's quite crucial - and there's not a definitely neutral point? Maybe I'm missing it. I think I'm about right ....but v interested to see what you guys have. If possible! Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
                          Seems like a silly question - but I'm just finishing the setup after getting this awesome plane through the post this week...

What does your neutral elevator look like INCLUDING the 8mm of up elevator? The picture in the manual does really say where that sits? Considering it's quite crucial - and there's not a definitely neutral point? Maybe I'm missing it. I think I'm about right ....but v interested to see what you guys have. If possible! Thanks
                          Hey Ben, when are you going to stop tinkering around with this thing and get it in the air? Seriously, below are the neutral elevator locations I am using, the first is flaps up (with 70% throttle, gear up), second is take-off flaps (60% throttle, gear down) and 3rd is landing flaps (at 45% throttle, gear down) using the deflection % that I gave you. This is with the CG around 192-194mm if I remember correctly.

One last thing I forgot to caution you on, when you run the elevator and rudder servo wires through there is a channel above the ESC that they need to go through. It is relatively easy to miss that channel (at least for me because if there is anything to screw up, I'll find it) and end up with the wires going right over the ESC. I did that when I first set mine up and the maiden was uneventful. Then, on the 2nd flight, the elevator quit working on take-off and I was able to shut it down before disaster struck (thankfully before it got in the air) and the heat from full throttle take-off of the ESC had burned and severed the elevator wire. I'm sure I'm probably the only one stupid enough to do that, but just in case, check it before you take it out. I didn't realize how hot that ESC can get with a few seconds of maximum throttle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_160407.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	265527Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_160356.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	265528Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_160348.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	265529
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• And one more thing BenAtkinsonUK , after about 30 flights the elevator servo has a tendency to come loose out of the foam and the control rod ain't the strongest on the planet, so you may want to beef it up a bit. Many other squawkers have detailed this as well. I epoxied the servo in and added some wood mounts to keep it in place, then used a carbon fiber tube to strengthen the control rod and changed the clevis to something a little stronger. Also, make sure the 2 set screws on each elevator surface that tighten down on the shaft are nice and tight. On my 15th flight, one got a little loose and the left elevator surface shifted, causing a wild corkscrew or something that somehow I was able to get it nose up and ended in a hover 6 feet off the ground, then set it on it's tail with no damage. I don't want to try that maneuver again, makes it impossible to clean out my shorts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_183959.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	265537
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                              And one more thing BenAtkinsonUK , after about 30 flights the elevator servo has a tendency to come loose out of the foam and the control rod ain't the strongest on the planet, so you may want to beef it up a bit. Many other squawkers have detailed this as well. I epoxied the servo in and added some wood mounts to keep it in place, then used a carbon fiber tube to strengthen the control rod and changed the clevis to something a little stronger. Also, make sure the 2 set screws on each elevator surface that tighten down on the shaft are nice and tight. On my 15th flight, one got a little loose and the left elevator surface shifted, causing a wild corkscrew or something that somehow I was able to get it nose up and ended in a hover 6 feet off the ground, then set it on it's tail with no damage. I don't want to try that maneuver again, makes it impossible to clean out my shorts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200321_183959.jpg Views:	13 Size:	167.6 KB ID:	265537
                              You may also SEARCH this F-4 forum for the word "dubro". You will see several posts with solutions for the somewhat weakish elevator hardware. I lost control an F-4 when the elevator servo came out of the foam socket...discovering no glue had been placed into the socket to hold the servo in. Luckily, the damage wasn't too bad, and MRC sent me replacement parts free of charge that were needed to get it flying again (wing spar and wing root plastic fittings). Great service MRC! Adding a bit of plywood to secure the servo isn't a bad idea either. As a post-crash modification to the F-4, I also used a section cut from a 4-40 threaded rod for the push rod...to mate with automotive grade Dubro hardware. Bottom line, do everything you can to make this part of the plane bullet proof...apparently there's a lot of stress on these components.

-GG

Comment

• TOTALLED IT ON MAIDEN....brown out? Worse??

Well that was the worst RC experience of my life!
                                Terrible morning in bloody shock I think.

Here's what happened: First flight, pre flight all complete...everything was moving how it should....my AS3x receiver working as it should correcting as it should. Power test seemed fine....CoG was by the book.

Took a long time to rotate but the grass hadnt been cut this week...anyway - it got airborne....climbed out fairly slowly, but got downwind and needed a lot of up trim (felt nose heavy)....started to feel a bit more comfortable...was picking up speed nicely....

THEN

Complete loss of power....the nose dropped (obviously was nose heavy despite getting the CoG right).....and thats it. Nose dived.

DAMAGE:
                                Nose cone SMASHED to a pulp
                                front end to wing root ripped off
                                battery damaged
                                cockpit destroyed into pieces
                                nose gear found some yards away, along with ESC and battery tray

No idea if anything else is buggered.....

WORST bit .....completely lost trust in this whole thing now. I don't know what caused that but I can't afford another and for it to happen again.

I may just buy a fuselage and see if i can salvage something from it.

Thanks for everyones help to set it up.

GUTTED!

Ben

Comment

• Sorry Ben.

Comment

• BenAtkinsonUK I'm gutted for you mate!

Did you range test and failsafe her before you took off?

Andy

Comment

• Thanks guys. Yeh - range test was good! Bit stumped really...

Comment

• BenAtkinsonUK, Very sorry about your mishap. Don't give up on her. It is amazing what you can do after a few days of grieving, a fresh look at the damage, and a tube "Foam Tac" adhesive. Thank you for your debrief, Ben. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
                                          TOTALLED IT ON MAIDEN....brown out? Worse??

Well that was the worst RC experience of my life!
                                          Terrible morning in bloody shock I think.

Here's what happened: First flight, pre flight all complete...everything was moving how it should....my AS3x receiver working as it should correcting as it should. Power test seemed fine....CoG was by the book.

Took a long time to rotate but the grass hadnt been cut this week...anyway - it got airborne....climbed out fairly slowly, but got downwind and needed a lot of up trim (felt nose heavy)....started to feel a bit more comfortable...was picking up speed nicely....

THEN

Complete loss of power....the nose dropped (obviously was nose heavy despite getting the CoG right).....and thats it. Nose dived.

DAMAGE:
                                          Nose cone SMASHED to a pulp
                                          front end to wing root ripped off
                                          battery damaged
                                          cockpit destroyed into pieces
                                          nose gear found some yards away, along with ESC and battery tray

No idea if anything else is buggered.....

WORST bit .....completely lost trust in this whole thing now. I don't know what caused that but I can't afford another and for it to happen again.

I may just buy a fuselage and see if i can salvage something from it.

Thanks for everyones help to set it up.

GUTTED!

Ben
                                          I'm at a total loss in figuring out what happened. The set-ups I gave you have worked fine on both my F-4's for almost 60 flights. I do fly them somewhat behind the 190 mm book CG at 192-194 mm, but that shouldn't have made that much difference. Check the elevator servo that it did not come loose or that there was a problem with the linkage.
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X