Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0503adjusted.jpg Views:	3 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	315799 Did another experimental flight with my somewhat new F-4 Freewing Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	315797 jet this morning. Last time, while bouncing on the rough hard surfaced runway for takeoff, the two big drop tanks fell off. I continued to fly it and had an uneventful landing. This time instead of relying on the magnets to keep everything together, I used a bit of foam glue on the pylons AND the drop tanks, hoping everything would stay together for a flight test. NOPE, I guess not enough glue. The tanks stayed on the pylons, but separated at the wing at the same time on the takeoff roll. Aborted the takeoff.

I did later take off with all the ordnance, four kit sidewinders on the wings, and two printed Sparrows on the fuse from RC Geek that I've had for years flying on my SEA F-4 that I retired recently. It did fly fine that way, and it was a good training flight for me.

I think I'll probably rethink putting the big drop tanks on the plane for flights. I'm going to epoxy the pylons in as I might want to hang something from them later. But the plane is a hoot, I love the brakes if you're careful using them on landing, and the simulated afterburner lights I got from RC Geek. A couple of pics from before and after this morning's flight.

davegee

Comment

• Ventured out today after a bit of gardening...yes there are other things in life....great light grey sky with a few blustery breezes but very flyable. I would have to land down wind, or "down breeze" because of building works but no big deal. First flight goes without incident. Came in hot with half flaps and laid it down like a baby !! One of the benefits of a rough grass field even though it is short. On the second flight, with the plane slightly climbing upwind of me above the building site, it snapped to vertical on it's own .. ....... Scared the out of me .Next thing a dust cloud from the building site blows over the end of the field and a gust of wind just about blew my hat off !! The plane was way up and easily recovered but by jings (Scottish dialect) it was peculiar. Managed another decent landing and then home to change the breeks !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
        Ventured out today after a bit of gardening...yes there are other things in life....great light grey sky with a few blustery breezes but very flyable. I would have to land down wind, or "down breeze" because of building works but no big deal. First flight goes without incident. Came in hot with half flaps and laid it down like a baby !! One of the benefits of a rough grass field even though it is short. On the second flight, with the plane slightly climbing upwind of me above the building site, it snapped to vertical on it's own .. ....... Scared the out of me .Next thing a dust cloud from the building site blows over the end of the field and a gust of wind just about blew my hat off !! The plane was way up and easily recovered but by jings (Scottish dialect) it was peculiar. Managed another decent landing and then home to change the breeks !!!!
        Aye, good on 'ya, laddie!!😁

Comment

• Back again this evening ... ..... Ladies football training night at the park ..had to wait for them to leave the field...despite the over excitement of this at my age I still managed a flight after they finished !! Beautiful flying evening, hope for many more.

Comment

• Any of you gents use wheel brakes on your jets? I like having them but I think they are kind of a novelty for light weight models. For the most part they function properly, however the model has very little weight and the brakes cannot be adjusted for reliable smooth operation. During manual operation one side or the other will lock up causing the aircraft to veer to that side. Heavier models don't seem to have the same problem. Geotex might be part of the problem too, as the brakes function MUCH better on tarmac without locking and skidding or pulling to the side. Anyhow, I haven't flown this bird in almost two years and have recently gotten it down from the ceiling to give it more love. Here is yesterday's experiment...

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by rlcamden View Post
              Dumbfounded on thus one. I recently upgraded my Phantom for the 8S setup due to struggle of taking off on a grass strip. I have a set of Gooniac's fireybooties installed. I also switched out my AR636 for a AR637T. After I got everything installed, checked the AB lights using a servo tester and the flight pack, and everything worked as should be. Then Y'd them to the throttle channel of the 637T and voila, smoked one of the leads to the ESC controlling the AB lights. No throttle applied. Disconnected the burnt ESC and re-tested the ESC and BEC for the motor, and all sames to work fine. I'm at a loss on what could've caused this. Did not have the red wire connected, just the signal and negative.
              yeah that was my fault for not warning you first. I put in reverse voltage protection but electricity finds the path of least resistance and will always find a way. Still looking into ways that will prevent this without reducing voltage and if this ever happens I will replace the components and no charge to the customer. I just recently bought a customer a new battery as well... don't think I won't take care of you if anything I have done causes problems... This is the video I refer people to now to prevent this sorta thing from happening in the first place...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
              I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

yeah that was my fault for not warning you first. I put in reverse voltage protection but electricity finds the path of least resistance and will always find a way. Still looking into ways that will prevent this without reducing voltage and if this ever happens I will replace the components and no charge to the customer. I just recently bought a customer a new battery as well... don't think I won't take care of you if anything I have done causes problems... This is the video I refer people to now to prevent this sorta thing from happening in the first place...

No worries. Thanks for offer, but I removed the plastic from the ESC an resoldered a throttle lead servo wire to the board and installed a 5v/12v UBEC between the battery and ESC for a little added protection. Got it all reinstalled and followed your power up procedures and everything works as it should. I have since put 8 flights on my Phantom with no issues. I don't think it was anything you done, or the quality of your work. I may be ordering another set from you once I figure out what to put the 6S setup out of the Phantom in. Eyeballing the 104.

Comment

• I'm about to install the Hobbyeagle A3Super3 gyro in my 8S F-4. Any advice from anyone? I've watched the videos, and set up Cortex's in the past with no issues. Just didn't know if there are any quirks or tips on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoamOvercast17 View Post
                    I'm about to install the Hobbyeagle A3Super3 gyro in my 8S F-4. Any advice from anyone? I've watched the videos, and set up Cortex's in the past with no issues. Just didn't know if there are any quirks or tips on this one.
                    I have one of those in may Avanti. It works well. I only use it like AS3X, except that I can adjust the gain on the fly. I have the A3L in the F-4 and it works well also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie9859901 View Post

I have one of those in may Avanti. It works well. I only use it like AS3X, except that I can adjust the gain on the fly. I have the A3L in the F-4 and it works well also.
                      Man, the A3Super3 works great! I’ve only set up the basic function so far. I tried ‘level’ mode but it flew oddly, and will take some tuning. The basic gyro function is great though! No more wing rock in the wind. It’s locked in like a turbine. I’m going to get spoiled. It definitely makes me look like a way better pilot than I am. Landings went from having to be on your guard, to easier to land than my Fliteline 1600mm Corsair.

Comment

• I've had an A3Pro on the bench doing nothing for ages ....... you have convinced me to set it up in the F4... installed yesterday...still to trial but hope it improves my fumble fingered flying too !!

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                          Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0503adjusted.jpg Views:	3 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	315799 Did another experimental flight with my somewhat new F-4 Freewing Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-0501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	315797 jet this morning. Last time, while bouncing on the rough hard surfaced runway for takeoff, the two big drop tanks fell off. I continued to fly it and had an uneventful landing. This time instead of relying on the magnets to keep everything together, I used a bit of foam glue on the pylons AND the drop tanks, hoping everything would stay together for a flight test. NOPE, I guess not enough glue. The tanks stayed on the pylons, but separated at the wing at the same time on the takeoff roll. Aborted the takeoff.

I did later take off with all the ordnance, four kit sidewinders on the wings, and two printed Sparrows on the fuse from RC Geek that I've had for years flying on my SEA F-4 that I retired recently. It did fly fine that way, and it was a good training flight for me.

I think I'll probably rethink putting the big drop tanks on the plane for flights. I'm going to epoxy the pylons in as I might want to hang something from them later. But the plane is a hoot, I love the brakes if you're careful using them on landing, and the simulated afterburner lights I got from RC Geek. A couple of pics from before and after this morning's flight.

davegee
                          I played around adding a little scale detail onto my Freewing F-4N yesterday and today. There were two long skinny tubes that were mounted to the top of the two jet intakes that were antennas used during the Vietnam War. They were called RHAW antennas, and basically gave the pilots a quick notice if they had been hit by a radar beam and a possible missile coming their way shortly. I thought they looked interesting and worked my brain and hands to fabricate a couple of them, without the use of a 3D printer, which I still don't have.

Basically, I took a 5/16" diameter hardwood dowel, cut them to length, and put some curve into them so they would fit onto the air intakes by soaking them in water, and then putting a weight on the center of them until they dried in the new shape. Then, I added a bulbous front end by shaping some putty and then sanding and coating it with epoxy glue. More sanding, priming, and painting, and then installed them this morning.

I took some pics of the results, plus a photo from the book of a real F-4 with the antennas installed.

Probably a detail that most wouldn't bother with, but I enjoyed doing a little scratchbuilding to add some detail onto this model, plus I learned what those wormlike devices on the air intakes were for!

Happy flying!

davegee
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Here's a short video of a my stock F-4 flying up at Jet Jam over a couple of weeks ago that I equipped with JP Hobby Brakes and a Xicoy Controller. This is an earlier production model with a 6S Outrunner. I've had this F-4 for nearly 3 years. It is still my favorite EDF Jet,

Comment

• Locharrow I hope you like it. That’s all I use mine for now is to smooth out the bumps. The only setting I have set up is the ‘basic’ function and I put it in the center position of a 3 position switch, just in case anything goes haywire I can bump the switch either direction and it’ll turn the gyro off. Once I get comfortable with it, and trust it, I’ll try the other settings.

if it helps you at all, I fly my F-4 on the low rates settings that the manual calls for, and have all 3 axis gyro gains set to 45%. I started at 30% and worked up from there. I’m not saying 45% is the best setting, but just where I’m at with it now. It flys great here.

It’s off topic but worth mentioning. I see people fly on high rate elevator a lot which is fine if they can control it really well, but with the low rate setting on the F-4, I had to use full stick elevator on one of the landings in wind, and I think if I had high rates set up, it would’ve tip stalled with too much elevator. The low rate setting is plenty of elevator for me and keeps me from doing stupid things. On the SAD Facebook group with videos of all of people’s crashes, there are so many tip stalls on takeoff or landing where people say “I just lost control of the airplane”. There’s my 2 cents that no one asked for.

Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                              I've had an A3Pro on the bench doing nothing for ages ....... you have convinced me to set it up in the F4... installed yesterday...still to trial but hope it improves my fumble fingered flying too !!

Comment

• I was weaned on Sanwa 4 channel with no modes......it was. ...or bust on throws so I don't use modes. I use a full size analogue Futaba servo on the stab with 20% expo and it works fine. The gyro was in my Multiplex Tucon.. a fast twitchy little bugger that needed tamed but is now pensioned off waiting for me to fit retracts. I want to find out if the gyro will help with cross wind and down wind landing because I fly in a restricted space, almost a one way system ...either take off with the wind and land agin it or take off agin it and land with it.

Update...Stardate 2021..Saturday...(on Earth) ...tried the gyro out today..excellent.. rock solid in crosswind breeze. Man bringing that beast across at 20ft, the sound from the Freewing 12 blade on 2/3 throttle stirs the soul !!

Comment

• I had a run in with a tree. I am selling it for parts. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tom-90mm-parts If you need anything make me an offer. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by rickfe101 View Post
                                    I had a run in with a tree. I am selling it for parts. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tom-90mm-parts If you need anything make me an offer. Thanks.
                                    Been there ..got the tree - shirt Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue2.png
Views:	534
Size:	830.7 KB
ID:	319375

Comment

• Elbee
                                      Elbee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Very good, LA, great pun. Best, LB

• Went down to the field yesterday evening to try out a set up for h/a landing that I might use on a shorter field. Higher stab input mixed to full flaps and at a third power input. Park was empty. Tried it three mistakes high and it was going well, sinking veeerrry nicely with no vices. Time for the real thing...a dog walker passes on the path at the side, not a problem. I'm concentrating like hell on the F4 sink rate down to about twenty feet and looked round to check where I wanted to put it down only to see this idiot and his dog right in the path of the plane, I increased power and screamed obscenities at him and his dog who was now running up to me. I screamed at him ..and I mean screamed... to get his dog off me and get back on the path where he should be.
                                    Landed OK but not the way I planned. Man I was furious, I collared him again at the car park and asked him what the did he think he was doing. He muttered something then disappeared into the trees looking for his dog. It's along time since I have used so many obscenities but honestly...it was deserved!! Hopefully I will calm down to my usual good natured self ............

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
                                      Went down to the field yesterday evening to try out a set up for h/a landing that I might use on a shorter field. Higher stab input mixed to full flaps and at a third power input. Park was empty. Tried it three mistakes high and it was going well, sinking veeerrry nicely with no vices. Time for the real thing...a dog walker passes on the path at the side, not a problem. I'm concentrating like hell on the F4 sink rate down to about twenty feet and looked round to check where I wanted to put it down only to see this idiot and his dog right in the path of the plane, I increased power and screamed obscenities at him and his dog who was now running up to me. I screamed at him ..and I mean screamed... to get his dog off me and get back on the path where he should be.
                                      Landed OK but not the way I planned. Man I was furious, I collared him again at the car park and asked him what the did he think he was doing. He muttered something then disappeared into the trees looking for his dog. It's along time since I have used so many obscenities but honestly...it was deserved!! Hopefully I will calm down to my usual good natured self ............
                                      I hear 'ya!! I fly at a long standing flying field that has been around in one form or another for decades, I'm told. It is on Bureau of Rec. land, so people come to walk their dogs, or whatever on the fairly large piece of land. When I land to the east on the east-west strip, which is my preference, sometimes there is someone walking their dog or just standing right under the flight path that I am using coming in to land. I haven't had to yell at anyone yet, but it amazes me that they would just stand directly under the path gawking where a fast moving plane is operating. A foamie might not kill you if it hits you at high speed if it goes out of control, but would certainly leave a mark!!

Comment

• We fly at a special use county park. Signs all over no dogs, no spectators past this point etc... Along with people thinking anyone can fly any thing any where they want we get the occasional quad or dirt bike even trucks tearing up the field. We have also had the occasional dog walker too, one was walking straight down the paved runway while we flew. Asked to please get off the runway he started a long cussing tirade about he pays his taxes...

Comment

Working...
                                        X