X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwalkerp47 View Post

I will be upgrading my older F-4 that has the 90mm Outrunner with the Freewing 4068-1835 Inrunner 12 Blade within the next couple of weeks. It is on my "to do list." Out of all of my EDF's, my F-4 is my favorite Jet. Some of the reviews on the Motion website have been very good regarding this upgrade.
    That's what I am running in my current F4...nothing wrong with it at all but the two 70mm FMS fans REALLY outclassed the Dr Mad Thrust fans I changed out in the SU 35

Hugh I'm looking at the stats for the FMS and it might have the edge on the Freewing...... 1850kv --- to 1835 kv 4000gm thrust to 3900gm thrust........

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post

Hugh I'm looking at the stats for the FMS and it might have the edge on the Freewing...... 1850kv --- to 1835 kv 4000gm thrust to 3900gm thrust........
      You're probably right, I saw those stats as well but I already had the Freewing in my F-16 and was more than happy with it so that's what I put in the F-18's and F-4's. Better to dance with the devil I knew rather than the devil I didn't. And I was fairly confident I wouldn't know the difference with the FMS fans and an extra 2.5% of thrust anyway. Rarely at full throttle except at take-off. I will say the FMS fans I put in the SU-30 were outstanding and completely transformed that bird from the gerbil wheels it came with, so convinced their fans are more than up to the task as well. Either one will put the F-4 "over the top".
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
        Anyone running an FMS 90mm 12 blade in their F4? I like the 70mm ones I put in my SU 35 so might try one in the new F4 if anyone has good things to say about them !!
        I upgraded my FW F-4 right out of the box when I built her, due to the lack luster performance I experienced with my FW 90mm F-16 in stock trim. So I cannot compare the stock version with the re-powered FMS version. I just know that the F-4 also came in an 8s option and to me that's a red flag telling me that the 6s will probably have anemic performance. At the time I upgraded, the FW 90mm 4068-1835 6s was out of stock, already having the FMS 80mm in my F-86 and being very happy with both the additional thrust and flight time endurance I naturally grabbed the 90mm FMS. This was the second upgrade for my 90mm F-16 as I'd previously used the 8s 90mm setup from FW to give her more pep. I didn't care for her heavier flight characteristics and decreased vertical as an 8s bird, which motivated me to upgrade yet again for the FMS 90MM 6s setup. Was so happy with the results, I put the same setup in my F-4 right out of the box.

Folks seem to really like the umph available from the FW 4068-1835 6s, but one characteristic seems to pop up in everyone's take on it, and that is shorter flight times due to its thirsty nature. The FMS setups, in my experience increase thrust and efficiency resulting in longer flights. Too me, flight duration is just as important from a performance standpoint as power.

Comment

• "Was so happy with the results, I put the same setup in my F-4 right out of the box."

That says a lot ! My first FMS was an 80mm Hawk and it delivered excellent performance all round. So does the 90mm F/wing though. I don't race the F4 around the sky like it was a race course so manage 3 1/2 minutes with enough left for a couple of go arounds if required. That said, just for comparisons sake I might just stick an FMS 90mm in the new beast

Might just get out with it today if this wind drops a bit! !!

Comment

• [QUOTE=locharrow;n326172]Anyone running an FMS 90mm 12 blade in their F4? I like the 70mm ones I put in my SU 35 so might try one in the new F4 if anyone has good things to say about them !! [/QUOTEyes sir, I recently replaced the gen 1 9 blade outrunner with the FMS 12 blade inrunner. It required some foam carving to get it to fit as the fan shroud is a bit larger than the freewing oem. As far as performance It was a noticeable increase in low end acceleration, much better mid throttle cruising speed and not much difference in top speed.
            I ordered it directly from FMS and it came in about three weeks via china post, only $105 shipped. (worth the wait) my biggest complaint was that I had to solder extentions to the motor leads as the factory ones were too short to mate properly with the freewing stock esc. Flight times did not change too much. I would give it a thumbs up if you order direct and save $50 from the US vendors.

Comment

• " I would give it a thumbs up if you order direct and save $50 from the US vendors."

Too right,.........I needed a nose cone for the SU and Motion R/C Europe wanted £10 plus £25 P&P . Free Flight Store in China wanted £7 plus £3.50 ! ........Guess where I bought it? That and a LOT of other stuff. If waiting two or three weeks is OK the price is the deciding factor. They are the same products at prices way below UK and EU suppliers.

Comment

• Had to contend with longer grass the past few afternoons, It's too dark in the evening for footballers so grass is not cut so often. Take off run is noticeably longer and lift off getting precariously close to a ball ditch. So...... I plucked up courage and bought the FMS 90mm. Almost feel like a traitor after the great performance of the Freewing 90mm...but.....had it out for cleaning and noticed quite a bit of wear on the blade where they join the hub, it looks as if the blades had been sanded to take the sharp edges off ! That may be the real cause of the longer run. New fan might help so I'll give that a try as well.

Comment

• I am recently having a bind problem with my Freewing 90mm F-4 jet (ix20 Tx). Everything was fine until I installed a new esc and motor. Now when I bind the bind takes (according to the TX) and then it starts a very rapid beeping that never quits until I unplug the battery. All the servos work except the throttle…I thought the problem might be in the Esc or the way it’s plugged into the Rx but I can’t seem to solve it. The new ESC is a Freewing 130amp. The BEC is not built-in but soldered to the battery connection cable on the ESC. There are 2 cables for connection to the Rx…a standard looking 3 wire servo connector labeled throttle, plus a 2 wire connection wound around a circular RF filter. I have the regular 3 wire plugged into the throttle slot on the receiver buss in the plane and the 2 wire plugged directly into the Rx throttle (I’ve switched them around with “no joy”).

I’ve gone through the ESC calibration procedure but it doesn’t seem to work…This is the 1st time I’ve used a TX with a digital throttle trim and a throttle cut programmed into Switch “H” on the ix20. I’ve also tried to toggle “H”, but “no joy”.
                  ???
                  Bill
                  Indy Damnbeenie

Comment

• " the 2 wire plugged directly into the Rx throttle.." In my book on a non bec esc the throttle needs + & - plus signal wire ............Rx power needs only + & - from 5-8v supply. You doing simple calib. with throttle or with cal card.? Try a servo in your throttle channel and if that works your narrowing the error field.

Anyway, don't do what I did and up an RX8,two tail servos, two retract servos and an sbus by trying to supply power to an Rx through a twin bec output !

Also, on a Friday night I consume rather a large amount of cab sauv and cannot be trusted ...( right J )

Comment

• Originally posted by billd3 View Post
                      I am recently having a bind problem with my Freewing 90mm F-4 jet (ix20 Tx). Everything was fine until I installed a new esc and motor. Now when I bind the bind takes (according to the TX) and then it starts a very rapid beeping that never quits until I unplug the battery. All the servos work except the throttle…I thought the problem might be in the Esc or the way it’s plugged into the Rx but I can’t seem to solve it. The new ESC is a Freewing 130amp. The BEC is not built-in but soldered to the battery connection cable on the ESC. There are 2 cables for connection to the Rx…a standard looking 3 wire servo connector labeled throttle, plus a 2 wire connection wound around a circular RF filter. I have the regular 3 wire plugged into the throttle slot on the receiver buss in the plane and the 2 wire plugged directly into the Rx throttle (I’ve switched them around with “no joy”).

I’ve gone through the ESC calibration procedure but it doesn’t seem to work…This is the 1st time I’ve used a TX with a digital throttle trim and a throttle cut programmed into Switch “H” on the ix20. I’ve also tried to toggle “H”, but “no joy”.
                      ???
                      Bill
                      Bill, assuming you are using a Spektrum Receiver, the 2 wire connection with the round Ferrite Choke coming from the BEC is used to power up your receiver. Try plugging the 2 wire Cable with the Ferrite Choke into the Bind Port of your receiver to power it up, or if if you have a spare open Channel Port that is open, plug the 2 wire cable into that Port. I'm assuming that you are Y-Harnessing the Throttle Cable & the Power cable coming out of the ESC on to the Throttle Port of the Receiver. That should have worked without the issues that you are experiencing. Just have the Throttle cable from the ESC plugged directly into the Throttle Port of your receiver. See if that fixes your problem.
                      Last edited by Dwalkerp47; Oct 15, 2021, 03:53 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• Every time I've experienced the rapid beeping when setting up a new TX/RX, I've had to reverse the throttle channel direction setting in the transmitter. It has corrected the problem every time.

Hope it is this simple for you.

-GG

Comment

• I love my Phantom F-4 and modified her for a bit a longer flight time. Here is my F-4 in action:

Comment

• Originally posted by stuwe View Post
                            I love my Phantom F-4 and modified her for a bit a longer flight time. Here is my F-4 in action:

https://youtu.be/ySVbm0tntkU
                            I'm Completely Speechless! Just when I was feeling kinda cocky about flying my F-4's, you post this! I'm back to the drawing board and 1st grade. You need to post this on "Share your Pics and Videos" so James can do next weeks show featuring this! Absolutely awe inspiring! And the scenery ain't too shabby either!! I have no idea how you managed to stay connected with it over that distance of travel and potential blockage from rock, mountains and trees and I know you weren't in a chase plane from reading the comments. I have a hard enough time keeping signal on flat open ground and line of sight.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hugh Wiedman;n327456]

" I have a hard enough time keeping signal on flat open ground and line of sight"

I have a hard time banking left with the right aileron up.... ???? 5.27 huge rudder input with no reaction ?????

Comment

• Originally posted by stuwe View Post
                                I love my Phantom F-4 and...]
                                SW, Welcome to 'the Squawk". your video is amazing. How did the chase aircraft pilot remain in such a tight and consistent formation? That person is one skilled pilot. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Shoot me down, but pretty sure Stuwe’s video is more a work of computer animation surrounding a non-flying plane. But it is a creative piece of work.

I can get this effect when flying in Microsoft’s Flight Sim 2020 with various planes.

-GG

Comment

• "But it is a creative piece of work." Yes, like Tracy Emin's bed !

Comment

• That was an amazing flight. I especially like how well the plane flew with full down elevator being held all the time....

I am a bit taken aback by how many people here (and on Youtube as well) think its a real flight video. Locharrow broke the code.

Hey, I have a brand new F4 in the box for sale for $39. Batteries are not included. (The rudder works properly)

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Elbee
                                        Elbee commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Hence my comment about how skilled the 'chase plane pilot' must be. Dittos all around. Best, LB.

• Looks very charm and powerful

Comment

• Originally posted by alfarogue View Post
                                        Looks very charm and powerful
                                        AR, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X