Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree. Too many airplanes need work out of the box.

As far as I know the elevator pushrod has not been upgraded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Desertlakeflying View Post
      Did they solve this elevator problem so people don't have to "fix" a new plane? You would think at this price point that would no longer be an issue.

AMEN!!!

Comment

• The nose gear retract servo housing cracked on my Phantom and it allows the nose gear to collapse easily. The pin is fine. Motion call out for the Type E. Can I use a Type D instead? They both fit the same shaft size and look identical from what I can see.

Comment

• Answered in RCG. The only difference is the lead so you may need an extension.

Comment

• Finished the repaint of the originally camo version F-4. It's not perfect, but it's definitely unique. Can't wait to see it in the sky!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by primodus22 View Post
              Finished the repaint of the originally camo version F-4. It's not perfect, but it's definitely unique. Can't wait to see it in the sky!
              P2, Nicely done, Sir. She's a beauty. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by primodus22 View Post
                Finished the repaint of the originally camo version F-4. It's not perfect, but it's definitely unique. Can't wait to see it in the sky!
                Nothing Like a Good Set of Teeth on an F4!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom #6.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	352916Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom #1b-2.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	352917
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                  Nothing Like a Good Set of Teeth on an F4!!
                  Hugh, all your newer photos and vids are just "top-notch'. You have one good photographer/videographer. Great pics of your gorgeous Phantom. Best, Steve
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hugh, all your newer photos and vids are just "top-notch'. You have one good photographer/videographer. Great pics of your gorgeous Phantom. Best, Steve
                    Thanks, a good friend occasionally comes out and brings his equipment (with a lot of begging). He designs and customizes large turbines for clients all over the world and is also one of the best pilots I know. He took several of my EDF's to events I couldn't make and was the one who piloted my A-10 Arctic Thunder to Best Scale Flight at this years E-Fest in Lakeland. He's also a rep for BVM jets as well as one of the newer reps for Banana Hobby along with J Solt. In addition to the work he's done, he's a past 1st place finisher at Top Gun and is planning on taking my F-4 next year to enter in the electric division (he won 2 years ago with another friends AL37). Despite mostly flying $15,000-$20,000 turbines most of the time, he absolutely loves this F4 (and the A-10 his 2 favorites of mine) so that tells me this Freewing F4 with the 12 blade inrunner is one sweet flyin' machine! His You Tube Channel is MarvinF14 and has shots/videos from almost all the top Jet events as well as his latest creations. Unfortunately, he usually is so busy I can't get him out. He shot the F4 photos as well as the SU-30 and Mig-29 photos from my last video, but didn't have time to shoot the video itself so ended up using another friends cell phone. So far, the only video of mine that had both his photos and his video was of my Beast Bi-Plane. https://youtu.be/rldyf20XQUY (If anyone's interested, probably my best video considering photos and video)

Told my wife I bought this from him and you can see her reaction (fortunately it was one of the few times she wasn't carrying)

Name:	20211203_155051.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	352957Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_155115.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	352958

Never Miss an opportunity to Post those pictures:

Name:	Phantom #1.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	352954Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom #2.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	352955Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom #4.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	352956

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• BTW Elbee and davegee, both of you being so great at attention to detail in your modifications, you'd get a treat out of watching my friend (mentioned above-Marvin) and his father in their incredible detail that they put into the aircraft they build for their clients. The father has been doing this for like 50 years and when I get a chance to stop by their shop, I'm like a kid in a candy store (but without a penny for a gum ball). Most of their work ends up at the various major jet events and there's always several every year at the Top Gun competition. They also just finished an incredible F-4.

A very cool L-39 they did is featured here: https://youtu.be/z6b_YyjS3Fg

And the F-18 above is below. (I know this is a bit off topic, but seeing master builders and detailers like the 2 of you and these guys never gets old).

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

BTW Elbee and davegee, both of you being so great at attention to detail in your modifications, you'd get a treat out of watching my friend (mentioned above-Marvin) and his father in their incredible detail that they put into the aircraft they build for their clients. The father has been doing this for like 50 years and when I get a chance to stop by their shop, I'm like a kid in a candy store (but without a penny for a gum ball). Most of their work ends up at the various major jet events and there's always several every year at the Top Gun competition. They also just finished an incredible F-4.

A very cool L-39 they did is featured here: https://youtu.be/z6b_YyjS3Fg

And the F-18 above is below. (I know this is a bit off topic, but seeing master builders and detailers like the 2 of you and these guys never gets old).
                        Thanks, Hugh. That F-18 is certainly a masterpiece on the ground and in the air. Fiberglass and /or carbon fiber are my preferred media to work with, but now that I'm retired I guess I'll stick with the less expensive foam models which allow me to fly so many more types of airplanes than the expensive ones I used to work with. In the end, it's all good!

Thanks for sending that video. Kudos to the father/son team who produce these great flying models!

davegee

Comment

Thanks, a good friend occasionally comes out and brings his equipment (with a lot of begging). He designs and customizes large turbines for clients all over the world and is also one of the best pilots I know. He took several of my EDF's to events I couldn't make and was the one who piloted my A-10 Arctic Thunder to Best Scale Flight at this years E-Fest in Lakeland. He's also a rep for BVM jets as well as one of the newer reps for Banana Hobby along with J Solt. In addition to the work he's done, he's a past 1st place finisher at Top Gun and is planning on taking my F-4 next year to enter in the electric division (he won 2 years ago with another friends AL37). Despite mostly flying $15,000-$20,000 turbines most of the time, he absolutely loves this F4 (and the A-10 his 2 favorites of mine) so that tells me this Freewing F4 with the 12 blade inrunner is one sweet flyin' machine! His You Tube Channel is MarvinF14 and has shots/videos from almost all the top Jet events as well as his latest creations. Unfortunately, he usually is so busy I can't get him out. He shot the F4 photos as well as the SU-30 and Mig-29 photos from my last video, but didn't have time to shoot the video itself so ended up using another friends cell phone. So far, the only video of mine that had both his photos and his video was of my Beast Bi-Plane. https://youtu.be/rldyf20XQUY (If anyone's interested, probably my best video considering photos and video)

Told my wife I bought this from him and you can see her reaction (fortunately it was one of the few times she wasn't carrying)

Name:	20211203_155051.jpg
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	352957Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_155115.jpg
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	352958

Never Miss an opportunity to Post those pictures:

Name:	Phantom #1.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	352954Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom #2.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	352955Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom #4.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	352956
                          I was just going to mention, Hugh, those latest inflight pics are fabulous! Just love looking at them. Well done!!

Davegee

Comment

BTW Elbee and davegee, both of you being so...
                            Thanks Hugh, I just call 'em like I see 'em. Best, Steve

Name:	IMG_0002 PS 1 Cropped Blow Up Contrast.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	352981

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-4_2_Crop_ Paint_PS_12x36.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	352979
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• So now that I have confirmation that they have NOT fixed the elevator issue, I cannot justify spending $600 on a broken airplane.

Comment

• All planes need something/ are "broken". May be time for another hobby that's not "broken".

Comment

• For those that install the 3D printed cockpit, what is the process to remove the original canopy and what do you use for the instrument panel decals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lateral-G View Post
                                    For those that install the 3D printed cockpit, what is the process to remove the original canopy and what do you use for the instrument panel decals?
                                    LG, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. I now use a small stainless steel mixing artist spatula I bought at Hobby Lobby. It has a rounded angled and flexible head that is easily thin enough to slide between the canopy and the foam. It will take a little force to break the glue bond, but you can usually pull the canopy off once you've gotten it started. Try to keep the inevitable damage to a minimum. You will need to pick up some lightweight filler. I use "Shrink-Free Spackling" from Sherwin-Williams. The glue will pull off the foam, but you might need to soak the canopy in mineral spirits to remove the glue from the canopy, but might also remove some of the OEM acrylic paint. If you are not repainting the canopy, try pulling the glue off the plastic, which works okay.

As for the decals, I looked at my Phantom cockpit and I color printed off the instruments from the inter-web and added clear glue to simulate the IP glass. The side panels were also color printed and glued in position. It looks pretty okay. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	357450
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

LG, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. I now use a small stainless steel mixing artist spatula I bought at Hobby Lobby. It has a rounded angled and flexible head that is easily thin enough to slide between the canopy and the foam. It will take a little force to break the glue bond, but you can usually pull the canopy off once you've gotten it started. Try to keep the inevitable damage to a minimum. You will need to pick up some lightweight filler. I use "Shrink-Free Spackling" from Sherwin-Williams. The glue will pull off the foam, but you might need to soak the canopy in mineral spirits to remove the glue from the canopy, but might also remove some of the OEM acrylic paint. If you are not repainting the canopy, try pulling the glue off the plastic, which works okay.

As for the decals, I looked at my Phantom cockpit and I color printed off the instruments from the inter-web and added clear glue to simulate the IP glass. The side panels were also color printed and glued in position. It looks pretty okay. Best, LB
                                      Thanks.

I kind of figured that was the method for the canopy removal. i already have all the tools and materials needed that you mentioned.

I will image search Google and work something out then for the IP. I can print my own decals.

I have plenty of year experience building plastic scale models so it shouldn't be difficult. I was hoping for a less labor intensive path but no matter. it's all good.

Comment

• ELbee that ROCKS!!!!
                                        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Elbee
                                          Elbee commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Ah shucks, thanks. I need to get her out for a couples flights yet this fall. Love the look in the air. Best, LB

• Just ordered the F4. Using a NX8. What would be a good receiver along with gyro.

Comment

Working...
                                        X