X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Your flying field looks extremely similar to our own."

Guys you don't know how jealous you make me feel........I live fifty miles from a half decent field. Plan a trip and the weather usually it up so I fly off a rough dug up grass pitch, plagued with football players and dog walkers. Although I respect their safety and don't fly if they are there, do they respect mine ??? Hell no !! I've had balls hit me and dogs jump at me two minutes after taking off on an empty pitch! People stroll across the intended landing zone and stop to throw balls for dogs. Someday I will be quite rude!!

Any way, good to see the new video ...Sound of the 12 blade Hugh ??...........Opera of the Phantom much better than the other way round!

Comment

• Some minor upgrades to my F-4N. 3D printed pilot, NFO and ECM antenna for the intake. Click image for larger version  Name:	AB78CD3B-F913-4E56-AFB0-794A84B512A2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	306976

Comment

• Love it man!
        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
          Love it man!
          Nice dude.

I have done something similar but not the pilots the original ones look good I did 3D printed instruments and controls,also 3D printed exhausts. ,& a duel 144 led center burner.

Check it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201009-WA0001.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	307027Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201009-WA0010.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	307028Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201009-WA0012.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	307029Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201009-WA0020.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	307032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201009-WA0016.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	307030Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201009-WA0018.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	307031

Name:	IMG-20210331-WA0009.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	307026Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210331-WA0006.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	307025Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210331-WA0004.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	307024

Comment

• Here's some more photos from yesterday's flying. Sorry, no airborne stuff. Working on trying to get some

A little background on this scheme. This is one of the Marine fixed winged squadrons that participated in Operation Eagle Claw. It was the attempt to rescue the American hostages during Iranian crisis in 1980. VMFA-531was deployed aboard the USS Coral Sea and provided Combat Air Patrol during the operation. Similar to invasion stripes, the various squadrons that participated had their starboard wingtips painted with a broad band of their squadron's primary color bordered by two black stripes. The loadout for that particular mission for the F-4's was 2 AIM-9D's, 2 AIM-9L's, 2 AIM-7 Sparrow missiles on the aft stations and a centerline fuel tank. The reason for the mix of AIM-9's was that the fleet was transitioning to the more capable AIM-9L's but there were not enough in the inventory for a full loadout of them at the time.

The mission was a failure due to a number of factors and several American servicemen gave their lives in the attempt. I entered the military shortly after that time and benefited from the costly lessons learned during that operation. It's amazing to see how we've progressed technology-wise and operationally since then. ...but I digress.

Name:	full-1578-73440-1526282_10203073202778055_1868024094_n.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	307252

Name:	F-4N_with_Eagle_Claw_ID_USS_Coral_Sea_April_1980.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	307253

Name:	F-4N_1.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	307254

Name:	IMG_5174.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	307255

Comment

• Very cool!

I was a little kid living on base at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard at the time of the rescue attempt. The Saratoga was in overhaul while we were there, and so was my father's ship at the time, the John King. I distinctly remember hearing the news of what happened and how the demeanor of everyone changed, like the flip of a switch.

Thank you for your service and thanks for sharing your F4! We spent some time at Oceana and Norfolk as well. The F4 was the subject of many of my daydreams as a kid. It's a great scheme you chose! I hope you do post some in flight photos.

Comment

• I spent pretty much a year off Iran because of the "students". First on scene while on the Midway late '79 and then cross decked to the Ike and got back to "home port" for Christmas '80. Home port in quotes since, due to cross decking, I never spent any time there. While out I got shore duty orders to NAS Pensacola so when we pulled in I was GONE with a capital G! I was VA-115 (A-6E) on Midway and VA-66 (A-7) on Ike. Here's some pics of the young me "hanging out" in the gulf.

Name:	Me on A6.png
Views:	658
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	307301Click image for larger version

Name:	Me A7.png
Views:	609
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	307302

Comment

• Comment

• New 8s about ready to fly

Comment

• TE, Great looking Phantom, Sir. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hell’s Angels baby!! Doesn’t get much cooler than that. Go Marines.

Comment

• Hi guys.
                          If somebody of you have to fixe the elevator servo after some flights or directly out of the box. I have made a 3d printed thing.
                          You must not remove the servo. The part will be glued over the servo.
                          Have alook on thingy: Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4819088
                          You can find it under: Reinforcement elevator servo of the 1:11 Freewing F-4 Phantom

Here are some pics...

Name:	Bild01.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	307624

Name:	Bild05.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	307623

Hopefully I can help some of you guys. This is my first post here, but I read a lot in here for my Freewing planes. Greatings from Germany.

Holger
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Power_Edge View Post
                            Hi guys. This is my first post here, Greatings from Germany.Holger
                            PE, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Thank you for the 3DP Elevator Reinforcement print/part. You are definitely going to fit in here, glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• After the standard MRC-supplied elevator servo failed on final approach a couple of weekends ago (and after a lot of flights on the MRC-supplied /stock servo), I repaired the bird. But the crash got me to thinking about putting in a more robust servo.

Since I have been using the MKS HV69 servos in my MiG-29 with (so far) great results, I have decided to put one in the tail of the F-4. Ball bearing, higher torque....2X as expensive. But I’d sure hate to go through the experience of another elevator servo failure....figure a more expensive servo might help reduce the chances of another failure.

The HV69 is smaller in size, so I will be making a mounting plate/reducer.

-GG

Comment

• GG, to be fair they are FreeWing servos, Motion just sells them (as well as other brands).

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  GG, to be fair they are FreeWing servos, Motion just sells them (as well as other brands).
                                  Hi Evan - I got lots of flights on the MRC-supplied stock FreeWing servo (over 1000 for sure in 1.5 years on this bird). Just gonna experiment with a higher dollar servo and see how it goes.

In a perfect world, they’d last forever. But, it’s not to be.

-GG

Comment

• I just received a new Phantom (camo) today. What a beautiful model. One of the nicest finishes I’ve seen from Freewing. I’m going to install a JetFan with HET-700-68-2100 inrunner. 6s SMC 6200 40c packs. Really looking forward to this one.

I will do some review of the thread as I get time. But for now, is the manual’s CG location a good starting point?
                                    Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post

I will do some review of the thread as I get time. But for now, is the manual’s CG location a good starting point?
                                      Thanks.
                                      Congrats! Gear down and tanks + missiles on + canopy on + right side up....CG by the manual is an OK starting point. I’ve never changed it. But she will drop her nose on approach when you chop the power at factory CG. So, you might experiment with moving it back a little as time goes by. Consider gluing on the tanks...they may otherwise depart the plane when bumps are hit on roll outs.

Quick tips:
                                      • Search “ferrite” or “choke” or “RF choke” and read/learn/buy/install these. Failure to do so....risk a loss of control crash due to the RF noise of the high current ESC. Ask me how I know.....lost an A-10 and an F-4 before I began to use them.
                                      • Use a 4-40 threaded rod and heavy duty Du-Bro ball link and clevis. DO NOT use the stock stuff in the tail. It will either bend or break. Well documented in this thread!
                                      • Make sure your elevator servo is glued in securely.
                                      • Set up the flap and elevator mix exactly per the manual
                                      • Set the elevator trim exactly per the manual
                                      • Use Lock Tight on the full flying stab’s hardware....keep it away from all plastic
                                      • Buy some extra nose gear pins....brittle metal...they break
                                      • Embed a metal skid of your design into the bottom of the nose radome for when the nose gear pin snaps on a hard landing. A couple of pieces of the kit’s steel pulling wire works.
                                      • Keep her outa the sun when sitting to help keep the nice finish from gatering.
                                      • Reduce to 50% on down wind then about 15% to 20% on final. Gradually reduce to cut-off once in ground effect and be ready for the nose trying to drop a bit. Bring her in fairly flat until you get a better feel. She’s not a floater. Touch mains first but not too nose high.
                                      • If you get a nose high bounce, go around. If you get a crow hop going...trying to save it, the nose gear pin will snap on a bounce.
                                      • No need for flaps on take off. Use full flaps on landing. She’s a ground hugger on take-off...get speed up and you ease her off. She won’t fly off by herself.
                                      • Get the RX antenna as far forward as possible and away from the ESC.
                                      • Add some hot glue beads to the inside periphery of the lower part of the main gear doors. Make sure this doesn’t interfere with the door fit upon closure. This helps prevent door breakage when they contact the runway on a less than perfect landing. Add some hot glue around the bottom screw post area on the door, too.
                                      • Every FW F-4 I have ever flown (several) has required a bit of right aileron trim. Might as well throw in a few clicks of trim before the first take-off to reduce your “surprise” at lift-off...see photo below. An amount equal to 1/2 the trailing edge thickness is a good starting point.
                                      • Once you get her trimmed, put a small mark on the fuselage aligned with the FFS. This gives you a visual checkpoint pre-take-off to see all is RIGHT. Smack the FFS on something, and you might cause a servo horn tooth slip. Then your next take-off will be VERY interesting. Ask me how I know....
                                      Have fun—You will like it! Nothing looks like an F-4 in the air!

Crash history to help you NOT crash....
                                      #1 Elevator servo not glued in. It came out during a flight. Repaired. CHECK THIS! Add more hot glue!
                                      #2 Same bird....elevator ball link broke after many, many flights. Total loss. UPGRADE TAIL HARDWARE!
                                      #3 New F-4 went down when a loss of control event happened. Total loss...Not using RF chokes at the time. Lesson learned.
                                      Happily flying bird #3 for about 1.5 years and well over 1,000 flights. The elevator servo stopped working a couple of weekends ago on final. Bad servo verified in the post crash analysis...intermittent. Repaired...in the air again. Flying good as new. New tail servo, and I did replace all the landing gear to be on the safe side. Strong design! She went in at about 45 degrees from 50 ft up and broke her back at the intakes. Amazingly little damage. The gear and under-wing stuff was wiped away. Sooooo lucky it was low and slow.

-GG
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	29FBC2F6-EA08-4C87-ADAB-BE995A6472B0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	307748

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Congrats! Gear down and tanks + missiles on + canopy on + right side up....CG by the manual is an OK starting point. I’ve never changed it. But she will drop her nose on approach when you chop the power at factory CG. So, you might experiment with moving it back a little as time goes by. Consider gluing on the tanks...they may otherwise depart the plane when bumps are hit on roll outs.

Quick tips:
                                        • Search “ferrite” or “choke” or “RF choke” and read/learn/buy/install these. Failure to do so....risk a loss of control crash due to the RF noise of the high current ESC. Ask me how I know.....lost an A-10 and an F-4 before I began to use them.
                                        • Use a 4-40 threaded rod and heavy duty Du-Bro ball link and clevis. DO NOT use the stock stuff in the tail. It will either bend or break. Well documented in this thread!
                                        • Make sure your elevator servo is glued in securely.
                                        • Set up the flap and elevator mix exactly per the manual
                                        • Set the elevator trim exactly per the manual
                                        • Use Lock Tight on the full flying stab’s hardware....keep it away from all plastic
                                        • Buy some extra nose gear pins....brittle metal...they break
                                        • Embed a metal skid of your design into the bottom of the nose radome for when the nose gear pin snaps on a hard landing. A couple of pieces of the kit’s steel pulling wire works.
                                        • Keep her outa the sun when sitting to help keep the nice finish from gatering.
                                        • Reduce to 50% on down wind then about 15% to 20% on final. Gradually reduce to cut-off once in ground effect and be ready for the nose trying to drop a bit. Bring her in fairly flat until you get a better feel. She’s not a floater. Touch mains first but not too nose high.
                                        • If you get a nose high bounce, go around. If you get a crow hop going...trying to save it, the nose gear pin will snap on a bounce.
                                        • No need for flaps on take off. Use full flaps on landing. She’s a ground hugger on take-off...get speed up and you ease her off. She won’t fly off by herself.
                                        • Get the RX antenna as far forward as possible and away from the ESC.
                                        • Add some hot glue beads to the inside periphery of the lower part of the main gear doors. Make sure this doesn’t interfere with the door fit upon closure. This helps prevent door breakage when they contact the runway on a less than perfect landing. Add some hot glue around the bottom screw post area on the door, too.
                                        • Every FW F-4 I have ever flown (several) has required a bit of right aileron trim. Might as well throw in a few clicks of trim before the first take-off to reduce your “surprise” at lift-off...see photo below. An amount equal to 1/2 the trailing edge thickness is a good starting point.
                                        • Once you get her trimmed, put a small mark on the fuselage aligned with the FFS. This gives you a visual checkpoint pre-take-off to see all is RIGHT. Smack the FFS on something, and you might cause a servo horn tooth slip. Then your next take-off will be VERY interesting. Ask me how I know....
                                        Have fun—You will like it! Nothing looks like an F-4 in the air!

Crash history to help you NOT crash....
                                        #1 Elevator servo not glued in. It came out during a flight. Repaired. CHECK THIS! Add more hot glue!
                                        #2 Same bird....elevator ball link broke after many, many flights. Total loss. UPGRADE TAIL HARDWARE!
                                        #3 New F-4 went down when a loss of control event happened. Total loss...Not using RF chokes at the time. Lesson learned.
                                        Happily flying bird #3 for about 1.5 years and well over 1,000 flights. The elevator servo stopped working a couple of weekends ago on final. Bad servo verified in the post crash analysis...intermittent. Repaired...in the air again. Flying good as new. New tail servo, and I did replace all the landing gear to be on the safe side. Strong design! She went in at about 45 degrees from 50 ft up and broke her back at the intakes. Amazingly little damage. The gear and under-wing stuff was wiped away. Sooooo lucky it was low and slow.

-GG
                                        Click image for larger version Name:	29FBC2F6-EA08-4C87-ADAB-BE995A6472B0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	307748
                                        Wow. Didn’t expect that. Thanks so very much for taking the time to detail so much good information. I’ve taken a screen shot and will have your info next to me as the assembly progresses.
                                        Thank you again.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post

Wow. Didn’t expect that. Thanks so very much for taking the time to detail so much good information. I’ve taken a screen shot and will have your info next to me as the assembly progresses.
                                          Thank you again.
                                          My pleasure....

I neglected to state that low rate for the first flights is a good idea. Any questions unanswered, let us know. Post your updates.

Here is a link to the chokes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWCSNW9...T8736BPQMCVS5M

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X