Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two things I did... I cut the foam block behind the batteries back about an inch. I repositioned the mixing board back too. Second, I added the 3D printed tail cones. They look great and add a little tail weight. While the F-4 feels heavy picking it up, it has a lot of surface area and doesn't fly heavy.

My 6+2 batteries fit side by side no problem. If yours don't maybe laying one atop the other?

Comment

• For what its worth, I put enough lead under the rear compartment where the elevator servo is, to balance as shown. About 1.7" ahead of the gear well. That is behind the recommended cg. The plane take offs and landings can be done at slower speeds with this setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	F4-cg.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	345407
      Landings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlmjuSVczA&t=99s
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie9859901 View Post
        For what its worth, I put enough lead under the rear compartment where the elevator servo is, to balance as shown. About 1.7" ahead of the gear well. That is behind the recommended cg. The plane take offs and landings can be done at slower speeds with this setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	F4-cg.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	345407
        Landings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlmjuSVczA&t=99s
        So, it would seem that you feel it is pretty important to hit that recommended CG mark, even if additional weight is needed?

Comment

• The weight that needs to be added to move the balance point aft isn't much percentage wise to the total weight of the a/c. You won't notice much difference in rate of climb with an additional 3-4 oz. of total weight. On a 3D plane this will make a difference, but not on normal jet maneuvers. There is a limit, but the farther back the CG is the less work the elevator had to do. The cg is closer to the main gear and the elevator will have to do less work to get the nose up on takeoff. You will be able to rotate for take off at slower speeds. The same thing happens on landings, Your landings will be slower as the elevator is more affective at slower speeds. After touch down you can hold the weight off the nose wheel better and not break the nose gear axle. I believe that freewing has the recommended CG where they are to protect the customer from taking off too soon with out enough airspeed. I have 5 different freewing jets and they all are balanced 3/8" to 1/2" behind the recommended CG. I use a CG balancer, not just fingers. Anyway, that's my theory.

Comment

The weight that needs to be added to move the balance point aft isn't much percentage wise to the total weight of the a/c. You won't notice much difference in rate of climb with an additional 3-4 oz. of total weight…I have 5 different freewing jets and they all are balanced 3/8" to 1/2" behind the recommended CG. I use a CG balancer, not just fingers. Anyway, that's my theory.
            Thanks, I agree and always use a balancer in the shop, I’ll double-check at the field with fingers, but I like precision. Guess we’ll be adding weight. Thanks. 🙂

Comment

When you're taxi'g back, was the elevator in a 'neutral' position? If so, it looked like you have a ton of up elevator. Is that correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

When you're taxi'g back, was the elevator in a 'neutral' position? If so, it looked like you have a ton of up elevator. Is that correct?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	takeoff.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	345580
                This is takeoff setting about .8" below the line

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	345582
                  This is cruise setting with about 75% power. The plane will climb at full power with this setting. about .5" below the line

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	345584
                    This is landing with full flaps. about 1" below the line

Comment

• I have the 8s version f4 fantom i'm having a problem with batteries that they said you can use to make 8s.I;m wanting to run a 6s 5000mah 50c and a 2s 5000mah 50c 7.4v as stated in the directions but when i plug in one or the other to the double connector it will literally want to fry the connector , but i can plug in two 6s 5000mah or any of the same mah packs and nothing happens no welding flash nothing. Also the joiner plug was not plugged into the plane for the fear of frying the electronics. Any thoughts?

Comment

• You are using a parallel adapter. You need a series adapter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          You are using a parallel adapter. You need a series adapter.
                          now that im looking at it you are correct i'll order the one from motion, Thank you sir

Comment

• The manual recommends a CG of 190mm from leading edge. For those of you who are flying this F4 did you find 190 to be the correct CG or are you using something else?

Comment

• Originally posted by paulsnapp View Post
                              The manual recommends a CG of 190mm from leading edge. For those of you who are flying this F4 did you find 190 to be the correct CG or are you using something else?
                              recommended CG and initial elevator position worked out fine as a starting point.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulsnapp View Post
                                The manual recommends a CG of 190mm from leading edge. For those of you who are flying this F4 did you find 190 to be the correct CG or are you using something else?
                                Couple of things…
                                1) I agree…Manual CG is an OK starting point.
                                2) Order more nose gear connector pins. You’ll need them while learning to land. They break.
                                3) Embed some carbon or metal into the bottom of the nose radome to avoid sanding off the radome when the nose connector pin breaks.

With practice, this goes away.

-GG

Comment

• Also…..Use this technique!!!

Richo from Desert Aircraft Australia demonstrates how to easily match your elevator servos on a giant scale RC plane.

Align FFS = how to

You’ll need to do the adjustments with the set screws on each FFS since there is only one servo.

It’s a sure-fire way get things aligned.

-GG

Comment

• ​ Finally maidened my F-4 this evening. A few tense moments but trimmed it out and now I have post flight knowledge to help with the next flight.

GG was a huge help getting the initial and post flight setup. Of course being a 150 miles away texting helped a bunch.

The highlight of the flight was turning final and seeing that classic F-4 approach stance coming in. I got goose bumps and flashback memories from my time in the Navy while on the flight deck of the USS Midway back in 1979-1980.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      You are using a parallel adapter. You need a series adapter.
                                      I bought a couple of "series' adapters on amazon, but they were parallel adapters, not series as advertised and the 4s and 3s batts i was trying to make a 7s out of heated up fast and immediately. I called them defective and shoved them back up the vendor's behind and order a different set that worked great. Be careful... Apparently diff voltage batts hooked up in parallel doesn't work and may burn something up...

Comment

• Like these memories? The traps were April '79 underway to replace USS Ranger after hitting the tanker in the Malacca Straights...

Congrats!

Originally posted by jetpltrich View Post
                                        ​ Finally maidened my F-4 this evening. A few tense moments but trimmed it out and now I have post flight knowledge to help with the next flight.

GG was a huge help getting the initial and post flight setup. Of course being a 150 miles away texting helped a bunch.

The highlight of the flight was turning final and seeing that classic F-4 approach stance coming in. I got goose bumps and flashback memories from my time in the Navy while on the flight deck of the USS Midway back in 1979-1980.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 trap4.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	348594Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 trap3.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	348595Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 trap.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	348596Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 VF_151 USS Midway 1978.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	348597Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	348598Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	348599

Comment

• Yes, the batteries instantly want to equalize in voltage and pass a lot of current. Can burn up the adapter, ruin batteries or if there's a lot of difference with say a 6s and 2s battery to make 8s could really be bad and start a fire.

Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

I bought a couple of "series' adapters on amazon, but they were parallel adapters, not series as advertised and the 4s and 3s batts i was trying to make a 7s out of heated up fast and immediately. I called them defective and shoved them back up the vendor's behind and order a different set that worked great. Be careful... Apparently diff voltage batts hooked up in parallel doesn't work and may burn something up...

Comment

Working...
                                          X